1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hair

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by PropBlast, Nov 11, 2022.

1. PropBlast Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I've seen a few examples of modelers using 'fake' hair on their busts from various different materials. This is mostly used on 1/6th scale figures to add extra realism and I was wondering if anyone has used it successfully on their own projects? What do people think of this? Does it count as 'cheating'?

Here is an example by Dimitry Fesechko who works on busts that are of a size we are used to-

fes4.jpg

And I also found a video from a master of this art, Jacob Rahmier. His work really takes things to the next level on 1/6th scale heads.

Here is another example of his work -

7cdd82054f31dd7b815594c4bb7d27fb.jpg
    Oda, Blind Pew, Dr Bison and 8 others like this.
  2. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    You have to call it as you see it,...and I say it's fantastic work as I see it.
    Oda, Blind Pew and PropBlast like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Must admit not something I have tried , seen examples and they look very effective indeed

Personally don't think it's cheating but taking a piece to another level

Great video as well ...such skill

Moved to General Figure

Thanks for the thread a interesting question

Nap
    Ran and Oda like this.
  4. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    No such thing as "cheating" in the pursuit of getting a finished product that you like the look off. The main thing is actually pulling off what you want and having it look right for the scale. That's why you see it more on 1/6 and larger.

You could always try things like static grass or other fine fiber type products perhaps.

If you really want real hair though, I've been told that hairs from the back of your hand and fingers are often fine enough for small scale (came from someone who makes VFX models). Tiny dab of pva on the end should do it.
    Ran, Oda, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  5. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Not cheating at all. If I had the skill to do it.... I would!
    Rick
    Ran, Forté and harrytheheid like this.
  6. Bundook Active Member

Scotland
    I'd say 1/6th scale itself is already cheating. ;)

I guess you could possibly use real hair in smaller scales too but only to represent locks, not individual strands.
  7. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Totally agree.
    Who decides what is "cheating"? And who appointed them?
    I can think of nothing that would stifle all innovative ideas more than being forced to abide by some imposed, and arbitrary, "set of rules".
    Ran, Oda and Forté like this.
  8. PropBlast Moderator

United-Kingdom

Sorry. Maybe I should have worded it differently because its not actually being painted.
  9. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    No apology necessary mate.
    I was simply making a general observation in response to Forte and Rick -- and agreeing with their comments.
    :)
    IMO, it's all kind of "don't sweat the small stuff" anyway.
    Oda likes this.
  10. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think "cheating" is usually pointed out by people who wished they thought of it first :-D

You're completely spot on and I'd much rather look at something and think "wow... that's awesome and such a great idea" that go "that's not allowed because it's not [enter any rubbish reason]".
    Ran, Oda, Nap and 2 others like this.
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Call it what you want, but the skill level needed to pull this off is off the charts. Awesome stuff.
    Oda, Forté and Nap like this.
  12. Mark S Member

Adding faux beard or hair is not difficult to do at all.....it's rather easy, but I think any modeller doing this risks making it look out of place with the overall look of a piece.
    Where do you stop....if you use fake hair, why not real leather belts and straps, or real cloth.
    To me it looks totally out of place on a piece which is painted all over except for the hair......you begin to enter the realm of the "Battle Barbies"
    If you've painted the whole piece with highlight and shadow and then add material that has no highlights or shadow it simply stands out like the proverbials in my opinion.
    I've added hair to busts before but I've painted it so it ties in with the rest of the piece.
    Blind Pew and Oda like this.
  13. Oda A Fixture

Absolutely thrilling!

Oda.
  14. Oda A Fixture

Very reasonable arguments.Personally I would never try using real hair on a bust or,as it happened in the past,real hair for horses' manes etc.I like keeping modelling categories separate.But I guess it all comes down to taste and skills.Some of the examples above are very convincing indeed.

Oda.
    Blind Pew, harrytheheid and Nap like this.
  15. NigelR A Fixture

Definitely not "cheating" IMO. In larger scales, most hair on figures looks unrealistic IMO. Even the best painters struggle to make sculpted hair look as effective as the rest of the piece in larger scales. But it is a hard look to pull off without making the figure look doll-like. I'm not completely convinced by the first example above, but the bald-headed example looks amazing.

I guess it depends what you enjoy doing IMO. If it's primarily painting you enjoy, then take on the challenge of trying to make blobs of resin and plastic look like real hair. If you like modelling and converting, then take on the challenge of trying to improve the sculpt using hair or some other material. And of course you can do both!
    Ran, Blind Pew, Oda and 2 others like this.
  16. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's not something I'd try and do either Oda. Then again, 90mm is the largest figure size I've ever done.
    Agree with Nigel though, the Ragnar Lothbrok head looks awesome. Wonder what scale it is? 1/6 perhaps?
    Oda likes this.
  17. Oda A Fixture

Totally agree.

Oda.
    harrytheheid likes this.
  18. PropBlast Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Yes its 1/6th.
    Oda and harrytheheid like this.
  19. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Using actual fibers (real hair, synthetic, etc) on a model is like other techniques-when done well, it looks great, but if it's not done well, it can look awful. As others have noted, the size/scale of the work is a factor in how the result can look.
    In a related technique, I have seen at least 1 Japanese painter, who paints larger-scale figures, use actual false eyelashes on his female pieces. I was disappointed, on the one hand, because I thought his painting skill was so amazing that he could paint what looked like real lashes. On the other hand, I had to give him credit for his technique, whatever the material. His results are astounding, just life-like.
    Prost!
    Brad
    Oda, harrytheheid and Forté like this.
  20. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I guess it depends on the individual piece, and what you are trying to replicate.
    For example, I've been working on Richie's "Floki", and it's a beautiful sculpt, but the beard, and the hair, are giving me trouble...
    Point is, Floki has a very wispy beard, very thin and wirey, but the sculpt, by necessity, is a rather fulsome beard.and I can't get the effect to my satisfaction. That would be one instance, where this 'real hair' approach could really work.