1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review H&v Jacobite Highlander Bust 1746

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by brian, Oct 26, 2012.

1. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I've just received this bust, and thought i would do a review,my first, on this the offering of this new company Heroes & Villians Miniatures.
    Sculpture: Raúl García Latorre
    Painting: Fernando Ruiz
    Material: Resin
    Number of parts of the kit: 4 (includes 2 heads)
    Scale: 1/12
    On opening the sturdy box with the usual 2 layers of foam, which keeps the parts secure,i was extremely impressed with the quality of the bust.On closer inspection the casting was near perfect with just some remains of the casting blocks to remove from underneath the bust.
    This bust comes with 2 heads which is a very novel idea and i can truthfully say that they're both so good i'll be painting both.
    Also included in the box is a sprue with the typical all metal pistol used by the Jacobites.There's also 2 cockades and the pigtail for the bare faced version,all beautifully sculpted and the casting of these parts needing minimal clean up,and i mean minimal.A nice touch is the inclusion of a piece of brass rod for mounting the bust on a base and there's even a hole been drilled at the bottom of the bust for fitting the brass rod.
    I would have taken pictures of the busts and parts but the ones that have already been taken by the company are excellent and exactly what you see is what you get and i include them here.
    HIS0001_D.jpg HIS0001_D.jpgx.jpg
    The other new feature with this new exciting company is they have a full SBS of their busts on their website,which is a brilliant idea.
    On summing up,i've painted many busts in the past and 1/12 is my favourite size, although up to now not so popular with figure companies,but if your into busts this is a MUST have.I couldn't recommend it highly enough and costing £29 including the postage to the U.K. it's worth every penny.
    I've not included the painted versions of this bust as there pretty numerous and can be seen on the figure news forum which have been painted by some of the top painters around at the moment.
    This is a company to look out for and with the title of Heroes & Villians i look forward to their future releases with anticipation.
    Brian
    Filipe, pmfs, Tarracus and 5 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Brian ,

Nice review , this looks a really quality piece , think I prefer the bearded head , although the other is really nice a s well , like the pistol as well , plenty of chance to get the tartan variations going ...hope you are going to get some paint on this one soon .

A nice size as well and a good price

Certainly a company to keep a look out for and with Raul Latorre involved .

Nap
  3. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    When I saw the painted version I was none too thrilled about them. But seeing them "in the raw" like this, they look excellent.
  4. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    pmfs likes this.
  5. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great review Brian. Tells and shows us all we need to know. They are certainly a company to watch out for.

Ron
  7. Dave - LastCav Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Brian - very good review!
  8. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice one Brian, looks like a fantastic bust.

Cheers Davie
  9. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Like Jason B i was not impressed when I saw it painted but the casting looks first class (y)
    Just a little thought ! the bearded version which I like best looks a bit like Billy Connolly
    maybe he just has a Jacobite face Connolly that is.

Ron
    crf likes this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I would use both heads and call him McZaphod Beeblebrox.

Colin
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  11. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    You know me Davy for being very picky, but the sculpting and the casting is as near perfection as you're ever going to get.
    Brian
  12. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Billy Connolly wouldn't be out of place with the Jacobite army, as he's a left footer as they were Ron.
    Brian
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :ROFLMAO:
  14. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    As my favourite part of painting is the face i'll be painting both the faces first and then the rest of the bust.I'm in the middle of painting a 54mm figure at the moment, but i get enjoyment from the anticipation of getting round to painting this bust.
    Brian
  15. Dennis Active Member

England
    Thanks for the review Brian, looking forward to seeing this at Sword & Lance next year?
    Dennis
  16. Franco Active Member

Australia
    Hi Brian,

An excellent review. Thanks for giving up your time to put this review together.
    It looks like an excellent bust - both sculpting and casting. One quick question which I am struggling with - the 1/12th scale size. Obviously the bust is 'smaller' in scale than the Young Miniatures, but how much smaller - I have a few Young Miniature busts in my collection as well as a few of the 1/10th scale Poste Militaire busts but am unsure of the 1/12th scale. Any input would be appreciated.

I am looking forward to your painted version.

Ciao for now
    Franco
  17. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Franco
    The face is 2cm x 2cm and 5 cm from the bottom of the bust to the top of his head or 3/4 inch x 3/4 inch and 2 inches tall.It's a brilliant size for me and the sculpting and casting are outstanding.
    Brian
  18. Franco Active Member

Australia
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for the input. The size sounds perfect for me - I prefer smaller scaled figures and busts. I am pleased to read that the casting is of a good quality. I am wondering if the Holmes and Watson busts are of a good casting.

I appreciate your info - kind regards
    Franco
  19. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Franco
    I think you'll find the guys that are behind this new venture will turn out top quality busts.
    Brian