1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

gypsum (crystacal R) sculpture - varnishing issues

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Daveum79, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Daveum79 Member

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of making a small figurine caricature sculptures that is approx 3cm tall and that sits on a round platform base that also includes 1 tea light in it. The base thickness is approx 4cm high and has a sunken inner circle that the tea light will be placed into and is located approx 1cm in from the edge so is not close to the actual figurine I'm making. The flame would be aprox 5cm away from the standing figurine. The whole thing is made with crystacal R plaster.

My issue is I wanted to gloss varnish the little figurine but it won't look right if it is glossed and the rest of the sculpture isn't. I currently use duraclear gloss polyurethane varnish which in my opinion works great with this type of plaster. The issue I have is whilst the flame isn't close to the actual figurine would heat given off from around the candle affect other areas of th sculpture if I were to gloss over the whole thing. I'm looking at selling these small tea candles so want to make sure the varnish isn't affected over time. I don't want the varnish over time to go black or bubble whilst also making sure it doesn't let of fumes if heated slightly. Maybe I'm over worrying but just wondered how I go about varnishing something like this so the whole thing is consistant where both the figurine and base/candle areas are all varnished the same. If varnish isn't suitable what other alternatives are there as I need to seal the painted figurine somehow but keep the whole sculpture constant in terms of being sealed?

sorry if I've over explained this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    I would look for exhaust paint or similar but I've never seen it in clear.
    Steve