1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Guardsman Coldstream Guards Crimea 1854

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Silversurfer, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    Hello again,

I like to present you my latest work, Moz´s fantastic Guardsman of the Coldstream Guards.
    He looks not so tidy as a Guardsman has to be, but a battlefield is almost not a tidy place at all.;)

Hope you like it, critics are welcome.

Cheers, Thomas

CG6.jpg

CG3.jpg
    CG4.jpg
    CG5.jpg
    Illa, ChaosCossack, abbo and 4 others like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work. I should do a little more shading on the white.
    What got my attention the most is that his trousers are dirty, but his jacket is very clean.

marc
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    Hi Marc,
    in "reality" the jacket looks more dirty, but the pastel chalk I used is not so good to see on the red colour on this pics. :(
    I did not want to overdo it, particularly when make a uniform muddy, you move on a thin line between realism and caricature.

Thomas
  4. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It looks well to me Thomas.
    I can see the weathering on the coat tails.
    Carl.(y)
  5. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Looks great (y) well done !
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Another good figure Thomas. (y)

Roger.
  7. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    Thank you all!
    The next stands on my workbench: Moz´s officer of the 5th Dragoon Guards.

Thomas
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    You must be building quite an impressive Crimean collection by now Thomas.... or is it a Moz Corry collection? (y)

Roger.
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    well done thomas,i like the weathering,well done (y)

Brian
  10. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    Hi Roger,

I have a lot of "Crimean" figures, not only these from Moz. It is only a part of my general interest for the british army trough all centuries. But you're right, the "crimean boys" this time have a little overweight!
    Last week I've bought a colour party of the Scots Fusilier Guards in 28mm from Great War Miniatures. Very fine little figures. Think, it will be the basis for a greater diorama of the battle of the Alma, maybe.

All the best for you,

Thomas
  11. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    ... how about a "group photo" of all your "Crimeans" ? (y)
  12. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    Hi Johan, better late as never.
    I havn´t seen your reply earlier, but I like to answer you. It´s a very good idea with the "group photo" , but the most of my "crimean boys" are´nt painted yet. Think, it will takes a little bit more time to paint them all, but when they are ready, I´ll "shot" them together.;)

Cheers Thomas
  13. Funky50 Guest

Having A Go at this one myself as we speak, but decided to go with the white trousers without the red stripe apparently these were worn by the Guards on landing in the Crimea for a short time...Love what you've done with it though Thomas
  14. Helm A Fixture

England
    Nice looking work and I do like the subtle weathering job
  15. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    Hi Kevin,

think, it will be a nice idea to paint the Guardsman with white trousers. I´ve found a picture in one of my books that shows men of the Coldstream Guards at Skutari in white. Maybe you know it.
    Thank you for your kind words about my Guardsman.

Thomas

Attached Files:

16. Funky50 Guest

Hello Thomas No hadn't seen that picture before but it has put my mind at rest as to how correct it would be to paint them in the white...This figure is for me an absolute masterpiece from Maurice Corry and the face as you have painted it is full of expression...I actually like the way you have painted the straps/webbing,which is something I always seem to struggle to get to look right, but I think you have got it just right ...He is after all been a Guardsman and all that entails....
  17. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    nice work all round
  18. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    Hello Kevin, once again thank you for your kind words.
    The only problem with the white trousers is, that they only were carried befor the landing at the Crimea. Immediately after the troops arrived, the order was given to leave the summertrousers, the second pair of boots, socks and other equipment, packed in the knapsacks, on the ships. (see Ospreys "The British Army on Campaign (2) The Crimea 1854-56" and "Uniforms of the Crimean War" by Robert Wilkinson-Latham).
    So the only possiblity is, to make a Guardsman before the landing, here at Skutari. But the figure has no knapsack!!:eek:
    Maybe as a sentry??
    It is a little bit difficult, what has prevented me from paint white trousers (I had the same idea like you;))

Greetings Thomas
  19. Funky50 Guest

Hello Thomas....I see, so I really need to sculpt a Knapsack for this to be absolutely correct, that will be a bit of a task...have to think about that one!!!!!Thanks for the info though...seems there is a lot more to this figure painting lark than meets the eye...although Victory Minitures do a 200mm Grenadier Guardsman in Crimea with a knapsack so maybe I could paint him in white summer trousers(something to think about)...Thanks Thomas and keep up the great work...Kevin
  20. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Thomas,
    Very nicely painted and displayed. Thanks for the history.
    Cheers
    John