1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Groundwork - Janissary

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy ,your Janissary turned out very nice ,I like it.
    Congratulations,now I have to get off my ass and finish mine.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Roc. :)
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roc.....I am looking forward to seeing yours in the finishing steps.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Guy,

Here i am back again. As i mentioned a couple off posts before, i find it a beauty.
    Now you send some close ups and i have a question.
    You paint in oils isn't? You did a beautiful blending for instance on the pants. Nice and smooth transitions between the high, mid's and shadow colors.
    Why do i see stripes on the shirt. Is this the picture, the light, of is the transition not so smooth between the midrange color and shadow, and hightlights.
    This is not criticissem, but a question. I cannot paint so good as you. But i gotta know, because i seen something what i never seen in your painting.

Marc.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Marc for the feedback. I paint my flesh with oils and the rest of the figure in enamels, such as Humbrol and Floquil. The only stripes on the figure are narrow gold stripes on the blue sash, barely visible in this picture. Any stripes you may see on the shirt may be due to lighting. I will try to take some more close-ups of the back side and sides later this week.
  5. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    As always, I love the your choice of skintones. Well done Guy! His "get-up" is very colorful, vibrant and well blended.
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Jason.....the Janissary is a little out of my normal figures I paint and I have had him for years. It was alot of fun to paint all the colors and have them look right together.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Guy,

I know that you paint very very good. But a nicely painted figure can be crashed with an camera that has troubles with the light.

I gladly see the good picture's off your friend.

Marc
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I continue with the groundwork of the Janissary starting with a tree and tall grass to the right of the Janissary. I will continue around the back with assorted grass and debris.

[IMG]

[IMG]

all comments are welcome
  9. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hello Guy I really love this figure, a masterpice I love the green and red tones and of course the ground work....should be difficult to paint figures at this scale, I want to do a super vignnete of pegaso in 90mm (Arminius killing a Roman) but is in 90mm, any tips to work with this big project, I can see that you paint the pices one by one, first the torso and then the legs, maybe becouse is more easy to you...what kind of glue do you recomend...?

Thanks

ER
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words Ernest. I paint some figures in parts due to the ease of painting under the arms and being able to also paint in behind two hands holding a musket, etc.......Just my way I guess.

Actually a 90mm figure is easier for me to paint due to being bigger with more detail than a smaller 54mm figure. Of course I use enamels and that makes it easier to paint one arm one week....then paint the other arm next week.....and both match when you attach to the torso. I blend out any areas that are not right afterwards with dry brushing. Because the bigger figures come with more seperate pieces, this also helps in painting them seperately and attaching later.
  11. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    As always I like how you tie in your figure to your base work. Very natural and very complimentary, Guy.

Keith
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    While taking some pics of the Seminole, I also took a couple of the Janissary. The camera setting seems to improve the pic. Let me know what you think.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Terrific Job Guy I love It!!....... :)

ER
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the encouragement Ernest.
  15. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Guy-

Definite improvement in the pics. Can I also suggest a bit more overhead lighting because the center bottom of the figure looks brighter to me. :)

Keith
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I have to agree with you Keith. The lighting was directed too far down and should be tilted up more.

Thanks for the feedback....appreciate it.
  17. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guy!

The pictures are a lot better! Here is my lighting set up, you might want to try something similar. Seams to work real well.

I just use 2 100W light bulbs, one on either side with a flourescent light bar uptop.

Attached Files:

18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Anders, The wife and I were just talking about where in the house I can set up a permanent photo area where I can leave the lights just where they are adjusted too and not have to take down after the photos are taken.
  19. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Guy your janissary turned out great my friend. Lovely colors and groundwork. I really like this piece.