1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Groundwork - Janissary

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    While other parts of the Janissary are drying I have started the groundwork. I mixed my plaster ( sculptamold) with water and Elmers Glue and applied around the kit rock, already epoxyed to the base and later add larger rocks and finally sprinke with fine sand. After drying overnight, I painted the kit rock a medium gray.

[IMG]

I next paint the ground / dirt in a dark brown and set aside to dry. ( I have used enamels this time but usually use acrylics. Same steps regardless of medium, just more drying time with enamels.)

[IMG]

Here is the total figure and base so you can see how just the base colors effect the total scene.

[IMG]

Now I mix a wash up in an old 2 litre bottle cap. With enamels I use the same mix proportions as I would with acrylics.

8 drops of paint to 16 drops of thinner

Paint this diluted wash over the rock and the dirt colored areas and set aside to dry. In this case the drying time will be overnight.

[IMG]

Overall view after wash applied

[IMG]

My next posting will show 1/2 the base with a light gray dry brushing on the rock and 1/2 of the dirt area dry brushed with humbrol flesh. This side to side comparrison will show the difference before and after the dry brushing over the black wash.

Any questions or comments are welcome.
  2. Le Lancier Member

Canada
    Guy, I'm following you're every move on this figure. I am awed (as usual, seems to be a habit on my part). I really can't wait to see your piece completed. A definit inspiration for a neophite as I.

I dare not say, congratulations on a great job, for I am not worthy. ;) :lol:

Please laugh,
    Francis :lol:
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Laughing still Francis.....for you are worthy. Thanks for your kind words and inspiration to keep me motivated. I just painted the bow and 4 of the arrow shafts and realized that either the arrows are getting smaller....or I am getting older. (and I am wanting to go back to 54's????)
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy , so far so good, looks like you are going to reach the finish line before me. ;)

Keep up the good work.,

Roc. :)
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roc........although no race is present, this figure has just fallen together and everything has gone smoothly.

Here are the colors I have dry brushed with starting with flesh over the ground / dirt and light gray over the rocks. This then followed by the whilt to the very tips and edge of the rocks. I used a hair dryer to speed up the drying time so I could do the dry brushing tonight.

Colors used in dry brushing.

[IMG]

Here is half the base drybrushed with humbrol flesh and light gray.

[IMG]

Here is the groundwork completely dry brushed with both humbrol flesh and light gray

[IMG]

Here is the white added to the very tips of the rocks and edges.

[IMG]

all questions and comments are welcome.
  6. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy,

I have to say that I think this is your best work. I have seen some of your others and I really like the way this one has turned out for you.

Joe
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words Joe. My wife also says its one of my best to date. Its nice to have a figure that just falls together and I atribute that to the sculpter, Julian Hullis and the manufacturer Poste Militaire.
  8. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
  9. Pete_H New Member

OUTstanding work, Guy!!! What I like the most is the juxtaposition of colors within the uniform and the groundwork. Details like this offer the observer a truly uniform appreciation of composition between all the elements of the display - paintwork on the figure, groundwork, and base. Way to go!!!
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement Matthew and Pete. Some of these colors years ago used to really give me a fit. The composition of them all together on one figure has made this figure a real challenge and enjoyment.
  11. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Thanks for that little SBS Guy, and yes, as Pete says, all the elements - figure, groundwork, Ken Thomas base - "click" together. Well done ! (y)
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Johan.............I wished all the figures we did "clicked together". But I guess that is what makes us look into the closet and see what is next.
  13. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    ... Eh ... the next one ? Well, ... eh ... I'm VERY curious about that Series 77 US dragoon , how about that one ? :)
  14. Le Lancier Member

Canada
    Oh yyyeaaahhh!!! Nice one indeed. I really like it Guy. Now, my attention turns to Rocco's Jenissary. This is fun, two masters at work on the same figure. :) :)
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Guy,

he is turned out as a beauty. What i nice peace off work. All the goodies off a great painter comes together in one figure. Awsome.

Now i gotta wait for Rocco to finish his.

I am glad that i have not on a jury.

Your both very very good painters, where i got so much to learn off.

Greetings Marc.
  16. johnnyboy New Member

nice work guy love the ground work thanks for sharing what are you workin on next.take care johnny
  17. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    Excellent work. Could you have more detailed pics (close pics)?

Rafa
  18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Francis, Marc, Johnny and Rafa for your kind words of encouragement.

Rafa....the pictues below are as close as I can get with my camera.......hope to have closer later.

[IMG]

[IMG]

All comments, critiques are welcome
  19. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Wow !!! Well that's good !!! Nice work Guy !! Good to see a close up of the figure!
  20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    A lot of you have asked for close-ups of the Janissary. Well here are some I managed to come up with today.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now that they are close-ups maybe some feedback and criticism can be done so as to be able to do better on the next figure.....I can take it........and learn from it.

Thanks