1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

groundwork for garde mobile vignette

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jason W., Mar 10, 2004.

1. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Here's some pics of the groundwork for my Garde Mobile vignette. I want to show a slushy/muddy ground.
    I used Magic Sculp for ground. First coat of paint is Vallejo 941 Burnt Umber. I paint this while the putty is still soft. The reason for this is the putty is sticky/soft
    the paint will soak into it better. Then I apply 907 Pale Grey/Blue for snow undercoat. The inside of the tracks I'll give a wash of 983 Earth and 981 Orange Brown to simulate watery mud.
    [IMG]
    Next I add Hudson&Allen slush to the edges of the wagon wheel and hoof and footprint tracks.
    [IMG]
    Then I coat the remainder of the snow undercoat w/ dilluted Elmers glue, and a liberal sprinkling of H&A Snow
    [IMG]
    Finally I go through and add small stains of paint to the edges of the tracks for a mud splash effect. Then all tracks get a coat of 510 Gloss finish to give it that wetness look.
    [IMG]
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Interesting... what did you use for the first layer of the groundwork?

I see that photobucket is working! much nicer getting more images in one post too! (y)
  3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Yeah! Thanks Gordy. I just added the text. Sorry, just wanted to make sure the pics went up before putting in the text. (y)
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great looking groundwork! I assume that the 'slush' is much smaller and more to scale in real life as they look like small glass boulders in the pics.

Looking forward to see your figures painted!
  5. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Fantastic groundwork,Jason (y) It really looks like the painting that you posted ! Please paint up the figures soon so we can all see how it comes together.Cheers !
    Kenneth
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Nice job on the groundwork. Man are you gonna have a monster display for MFCA if you get all these projects done.~Gary
  7. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Anders! I plan on adding some 5 min. epoxy w/ a touch of gray acrylic, to the edges to mute the shine of the "boulders".

Thanks Gary and Kenneth. This is only my second winter scene. Not totally satisfied, but pleased. ;)