1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Grenadier Drummer 1870- Ellie's Miniatures 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Dec 15, 2014.

1. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Colin, here it is.. 20150125_205153.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey All
    Thanx to the snow, I managed to get some more work done on this fig.

The haversack and bayonet, backpack/bedroll/tent half/tent pole and pegs/cooking pots are all done. The drum received some attention but there's a long way to go with it.
    DSC01601.jpg DSC01602.jpg DSC01603.jpg DSC01604.jpg DSC01605.jpg DSC01606.jpg DSC01607.jpg DSC01608.jpg DSC01609.jpg DSC01612.jpg
    That leaves me with the canteen and cup, the rifle and of course the drum and groundwork.

Comments and critiques are most welcome

Ta

Colin
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Looking really good Colin.
    The way that you have tackled that drum shell is first class.
    Good work Sir.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Keith
    It's my first crack at using Darkstar metallics. They are pretty damn good. Very fine grind... goes on smooth if you do a few very thin passes. Then washed with Citadel Sepia ink wash.

The drum is pretty simple in design (no arms or badges to paint) but all the ropes and rigging is going to be time consuming for sure.

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice work Colin. I've been inspired to dig out some more Franco-Prussian War figs from the grey army. (y)
    Wings5797 and ChaosCossack like this.
  6. Funky50 Guest

Starting to look really nice Colin......Inspiring me to have a go at my Imperial Guard Bust once more(I Can't Paint Blues)....lovely work...Kevin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking very good mate it's all coming together very well indeed. keep it up looking forward to seeing the complete job.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. Nap A Fixture

England
    Colin,

That is really looking nice, like the Reds and the lacework very intricate , great little figure as well from Ellie's , very nice pose .

Looking forward to seeing more from you on the drum (lovely looking eagle there)

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    ChaosCossack and Wings5797 like this.
  9. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Coming along nice there campadre - love that facial expression!

Brian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    In the home stretch now. Looks like there will be new stuff on the table on March 1.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks everyone, your supportive comments are much appreciated.
    I too like what the face is trying to say. Sort of a "Ok. What kind of stupidity has Bazaine got in store for us today? " ;)

I hoped to have him finished by the first and maybe even have another well under way.

BTW what's the date of the Hamilton show?

Colin
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Sunday March 22
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin

Colin
  14. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Yes! Is coming along very, very nice! This is a very nice figure and you captured the atmosphere very well!
    Can't wait to see it completed!
    Cheers my friend!
    Zeno :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. Ferris A Fixture

Quite an intricate figure, but it looks like you are doing fine Colin. Nice work on all the detail painting. Nice figure as well, good expression.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Zeno, as I said to Colin, I really hope to have this finished up and based by the March 1st meeting.

Thanx Adrian, you're right it is a complex fig... I love Franco-Prussian uniforms (both sides) but as for painting... they carried so much crap on campaign, I think it's safe to say, painting all the gear they humped around takes as long as it did to paint the main uniform (collar and cuff braid not withstanding).
    All the canteens, cups, haversacks, bayonets, cartridge and bullet pouches, tent halves, tent poles, tent stakes, backpacks, pots and pans, bedrolls, groundsheets, rifle, drum, drumsticks, not to mention all the straps and buckles to lash it all to the poor footslogger... It's friggin' exhausting!!!!! Almost buries the beautiful uniform under all that junk!

Anyways, getting down to the 'vinegar strokes'... light at the end and all that rot

Colin
  17. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Great work so far Colin!! I've been missing some of the steps.
    Keep the good work with this fella ;)

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Down to the "vinegar strokes" with this project.
    Tonight was the groundwork....

The base itself is another piece of "Icestorm Locust", lightly stained a mid brown and spritzed with a couple of layers of clearcoat. The supplied piece of groundwork was glued to the base and extended to the edges with some magic sculpt. I used the cast groundwork because it is sculpted with the rock our hero will plant his ass on and also the carry straps for the drum.

The ground has three elements to be painted... the ground, the large and small rocks and some small bits of plant life. Each element will be painted with three appropriate colours (browns, greens and greys) plus various washes(browns, sepia, dark green, black and blue). They were painted with a base of the darkest colour first then a dark ink was washed over to bring out the texture. Then the mid tone was drybrushed on each element. A thinned wash was applied again before the lightest tone was drybrushed on.

The rocks got a little extra attention... First a base of Natural Grey was applied. Then a wash of black to give depth. A mid tone of Light Sea Grey was drybrushed over stones followed by a watered down blue ink and the mid was very lightly DB'ed over again. Sky Grey was then DB'ed over to pick up the high points and create a "veining" effect on the stone, like granite. Sepia ink that washed the dirt was brought up a bit from the bottom of the rocks as well as a very very watered down green ink.
    DSC01632.jpg DSC01633.jpg DSC01634.jpg DSC01635.jpg DSC01636.jpg DSC01637.jpg DSC01638.jpg DSC01639.jpg DSC01640.jpg DSC01641.jpg
    Finally, the drum straps were painted. As pictured, there still needs to be some shading done and of course touching up where I coloured outside the lines.
    DSC01642.jpg
    Tomorrow, once everything is dry, I'll apply some greenery and flock grass. That leaves only the rifle to paint up and this guy is finally done... only 3 months for a single 75mm. Damn I'm slow :sorry:

Any thoughts or comments are always welcome

Colin

Attached Files:

19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Not sure what I did with the pics o_O. 3 1/2 years on this forum and I'm still figuring stuff out... Doh!!!
    The pics with the drum and straps on the base...
    DSC01642.jpg DSC01643.jpg DSC01644.jpg DSC01645.jpg

Colin
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Looking great. Isn't it nice to be in the home stretch?

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.