1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Grenadier Drummer 1870, 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Nov 12, 2014.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey all
    This is going to be part of a two figure vignette. I did a rough start and put him aside while waiting for the other figure to arrive.
    This fig is a French drummer of the Imperial Guard Grenadiers during the Franco Prussian War, 1870. The fig is 75mm produced by Ellie Miniatures. Zastrow.cuirassier did a good, in-depth Open Box review... swing over and check it out to see what a nice casting this is.

So far, I've done up my main sub-assemblies, primed them and basically just blocked in the blues and reds and did a rough first highlight on the reds. The face is about 80% done... still need to tweek some shadows and still have a little work around the eyes and mouth to do. The bearskin is almost there, a wash or two on the fur and plume, highlighting the brass plate and working the grenadier crest on top.
    DSC01331.jpg DSC01332.jpg DSC01333.jpg DSC01334.jpg DSC01335.jpg DSC01337.jpg DSC01338.jpg DSC01339.jpg DSC01341.jpg DSC01344.jpg
    This is probably premature to post as it's in the very early stages but... what the hell, right?

I'll be digging in, in earnest once the other fig shows up and I get it caught up to this one... then I'll try to paint them simutaneously so they are tied together in the vignette.

Comments are most welcome (be nice Ian LOL ;))

Cheers

Colin
    Martin64, Huw63, Wings5797 and 8 others like this.
  2. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mate I will be nice lol , great start to the figure looking good mate it's going to be a very colourful vignette. they go together well and the scene tells a good story. watching with interest mate. at some point will put peoples work on the website so others can see how they turn out.

cheers

Ian

Ellie's Miniatures
    Wings5797 and ChaosCossack like this.
  3. boromir New Member

Italy
    Great start!
    I like this paintjob.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Very nice Colin-what are you going to put with it?

Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith

it's going with our new chasseur a'peid trumpeter which Colin is pestering the postie for lol

Cheers

Ian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Great work so far Colin, i lime the dark blue base.
    Your reds looks splendid, to me the contrast seems fine and balanced.

I follow !!
    Best regards
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Colin. Not sure that I am the greatest fan of the sculpt as the face doesn't look very franco Prussian War to me for some reason. But I like your painting if it so far...good vibrant base coats.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I kinda get what you mean. Maybe a little goatee on the chin and deeper shadows under the cheek bones will give more of a stern, Gallic look to the face.The broad features and bristle 'stashe gives a slightly WWI RSM feel.

I don't know, food for thought.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    The goatee would help.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    The most important thing is that he is a drummer and how you started you'll make him justice.
    Drums we love!
    Cool start! I'll follow my friend!
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well said Zeno as far as we are concerned he's a French drummer with or without chin hair. the sculpt was taken from a water colour of the time so can't say much more. Keep it up Colin your doing a great job.

Cheers

Ian

Elli's Miniatures
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    You're right Ian, he is EXACTLY like the painting on the cigarette card. Even there he didn't have the stereotypical "French" facial look you often see from that era... waxed moustashios, pointy goatee etc. Mind you this guy does look like he'd beat the hell out of you if you tried to eat his crepes ;) I'm a long way from done so I will decide before I finish the face.

Zeno, he's just sitting down resting... not sitting behind a 40 piece drum kit :LOL: He's a one drum kinda guy! I almost forgot you're a tub-thumper... this fig is right up you're alley!

Cheers

Colin
    tiberius57 and crf like this.
  13. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin
    I play Guitar Zeno plays Drums sounds like we might get a band going her very soon lol. the drummer in the band I paly with from time to time in completely mad and looks like our drummer too. must be something about drummers. I hope to have photos of the new master from Moz tomorrow looking forward to seeing this new one. will keep you posted.

Cheers

Ian
    tiberius57, crf and ChaosCossack like this.
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks like we're all set... I played bass and did vocals in a hardcore metal band in the 80's and 90's. Play a little guitar too. Strictly a riffer though. Kept jammin up until about 3 years ago... Have a home studio and was doing alot of multitrack recording by myself. Got stuck on a song, needed a break, dragged out the brushes, found PF and here I am.

We got all the makings for a band here for sure. Zeno's a bluesman, I'm a metalhead... what about you?

Colin

PS- Yes, all drummers are mental :wtf:
    tiberius57 likes this.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Oh yeah... What's the new master of?

Ah, maybe it's better if I don't know until I get the trumpeter... Gotta finish one before you lure me into buying another one LOL
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I can hum John Denver tunes if that helps.

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Of course, Colin, every band needs a vocalist... My voice gave out years ago doing Motorhead (Lemmy) covers... Now I just sculpt him ;)
    tiberius57 likes this.
  18. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi guys looking like a band Lol, me I'm into the blues and southern Rock we shot a music video a couple of months ago for a bit of fun not seen the result yet but will keep you posted. Colin hope you can sing the blues mate, or we could do a cover of country roads LOL. watch out world.

Ian
    tiberius57 and ChaosCossack like this.
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
  20. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Yes Colin, he is just resting, like me at the Ajax Show after playing 2 hours with the band after a year and a half brake. All my "screws and washers" were loose and sore.
    This fig is me after the gig. Must buy! :LOL:
    ChaosCossack likes this.