1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Grenadier a Pied

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jim Patrick, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Ok, after talking to Joe Hudson into helping me (as well as everyone else) with the color white, I figured it's time for me to go ahead and put Joe's help into my practise. I have been looking heavily at the painting by Edouard Detaille and have been TRYING to base my painting as close to his as I can get. One of the things that struck me after looking at the painting was his use of earth tones. Quite unlike what Iv'e seen by most painters who have painted this figure. Not that they are wrong and their efforts, as far as I can tell, are far better than mine. Ok, now to mine. Obviously, my figure has a lot more Earth tones than the actual painting. Also obvious (painfully) is the fact that I have a long ways to go when it comes to painting white. I did paint all the base colors different but it seems (to me at least) that the colors are a bit too close to each other in hue and contrast. Still fixable but not quite Joe Hudson is it? :lol: Well, what do all of you think I should do? Lighter? What?

Thanks,
    Jim (I can't paint white) Patrick

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Manfred Active Member

Jim,

I don't think you're that wrong.
    However it looks as if Detaille's white is duller, so maybe your're too light if you try to specificially emulate the painting.

My take (and please anyone correct me if I write dumb things):

Trousers, vest and revers of tunic would be white wool. So they would slightly vary in a warm tone.
    Gaiters would be linen? for summer and could be colder in hue than the white wool.
    Gaiter straps and cross belts would be whitened leather rough side out, a very cool and strong white especially if recently whitened.
    This leather's natural colour would be a cream colour if the reenactors I met tell the truth.
    Don't know if the gloves were leather or fabric, though.

I have the same figure but on backlog as my whites never were satisfactory to me.
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm curious as to what the color would look like if the painting were given a dose of restoration. it's amazing the difference in the colors after an old painting has been given some tlc.~Gary
  4. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Hi Jim.
    Your whites are good.
    I would give more contrast to the whole figure,shadowing a lot more the inner part of the pants.Lights and shadows seem to have the same intensity in every part of the figure.
    Another thing that would help is painting darker whites proportionally when you're comig near the ground.
    hth
    jaume
  5. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jim,

I agree with Jaume. I think if you do what we talked about you will be ok. I think you are a lot better off than it being a Joe Hudson. ;)

Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Joe