1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

GRENADIER A CHEVAL MARECHAL DE LOGIS/METAL MODELS

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by MENTAL DENTAL, Oct 28, 2014.

1. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers (y)

I'm about three days from finishing the Pegaso 75mm 71st Highland Officer
  2. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    That's a classy piece! So well balanced and an awesome painting style! (y)
    Would love to paint like this!
    Cheers and looking forward to see your next one!
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Very nice, as is all of your work.
    I do see what you mean by painting 'realistically'. You sure do nail the textures of different materials very well. Like the colour mixes as well, clear but not bright.

Cheers
    Adrian
  4. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I like your style and attitude Mental , I believe a figure should look it's best from 2 - 3 feet away not 2 inches away and using a magnifying glass to discern the subtle shading . These little guys live in a cabinet most their lives and that's where they should look their best .
    chippy
  5. Huw63 A Fixture

Another superb figure. Thanks for sharing the photos and also the techniques. I'm interested following the comments on the Carabinier figure thread how you'd tackle a cuirass in brass and steel so they look metal and shiny not grainy.

Cheers

Huw

P.s. I'm not on FB but could you share a link to it please
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    I agree with the rest of the chaps here. Excellent and crisp painting.

Xenofon
  7. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some of the Spanish/Italian painters like their acrylic and do get good results. I would use printers inks over Acrylic undercoat. Super highlights are best done when the ink is dry. for brass/gold I use a powder from Tiranti sculptor supplies in London. Silver can be a pain as inks do dull a bit on drying.........neat silver or chrome from Humbrol are better.
  8. Huw63 A Fixture

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Now to find how to get the Tiranti products...

Cheers

Huw
  9. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Think its superfine bronze/gold powder;)
    Huw63 likes this.
  10. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Saw this one on the competition table at Telford this weekend - stunning.
    Cheers
    Mat
    MENTAL DENTAL likes this.
  11. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheque's in the post:sneaky:
    Mat Lambert likes this.
  12. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great work as usual David. Forgive the sophomoric inquiry, why Humbrols (versus acrylics) if you bleed the carrier out of the oil before applying to the basecoat?
  13. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I don't 'bleed' the oils out. I go straight to it!
    The thin coats of Humbrol matt paint allow a matt finish to the oils. Acrylic I find is less porous and doesn't allow the oil to 'soak' away. I always dry in an oven ~50 oC..............quite entertaining when the figure is resin!
    For leather and horse coats I paint on acrylic to achieve a sheen although, I've found some paints will dry with a matt finish if I dry it too quickly in the oven and have to add a little linseed oil to give the sheen. Trial and error!!:confused:
    Wings5797 likes this.
  14. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    You were always up there with the best David, especially Napoleonics and have a distinctive style, which is refreshing to see, and no doubt that your work is still as good now, as it was about 10+years ago.Anyone who hasn't seen David's work in the flesh, is missing a treat.
    Brian
  15. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I agree with Brian, David had a number of figures on display at Telford and picked up some awards, he should have had more in my opinion as he was the stand out painter at the show. I hope he will exhibit again next year as his work will help to raise the bar at Telford.

Keith