1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Grenadier, 23rd Royal Welch Fuzileers 1743, in 1/6th scale.

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Tony Barton, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Tony Barton Active Member

United-States
    This chap was made as much for the challenge as anything , since the uniform is quite elaborate, and took some planning to put together.
    He represents a Grenadier of the RWF at Dettingen , 1743, and is based on the 1742 Cloathing book and the Morier paintings from a little later.

[IMG]

The uniform is all brushed cotton , dyed and painted. The buff leather is goatskin, the black leather calf, the buttons pewter, the buckles brass.The lace is 2mm woven lacet, coloured with fine pens.
    The cap is actually embroidered. I first paint the pattern , overwork it with coloured thread, then touch up with paint...

[IMG]

He has the full field kit of cowskin knapsack, canvas knapsack & tinplate flask.

[IMG]

And of course he's fully poseable, which is the thing which really makes 1/6th figures fun.

[IMG]
  2. swralph A Fixture

3. moz A Fixture

England
    Incredible, that cap is amazing. It all is really!
  4. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A stunning piece of work! The work involved to create a figure like this has to be admired and congratulated. Many thanks for sharing this with us :)
  5. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Amazing Tony!

You could have taken short cuts, but haven't, and the results really show the superb quality of your workmanship.

Stunning!

Cheers,
    Jon.
  6. moz A Fixture

England
    I keep revisiting this to look at that cap then it occurred to me who it looks like..
    wr.jpg
    Helm, DEL and Gra30 like this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Crazy good Tony. A whole different field of modelling (miniature tailoring) and not that much transferable to the rest of us lot but you are certainly in the right spot for us to appreciate it.

Colin
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Superb piece Tony.
    Carl.(y)
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Amazing work.

Marc
  10. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    GREAT piece. Love your 1/6th scale work.
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Top class work, incredibly realistic (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Tony ,

This is the tops , brilliant work , the details on the cap are great ..uniform looks really good as well ..like everyone say

amazinly realistic stuff

Really wish I could see you stuff in person

Thanks for sharing this gem

Nap
  13. ssorc1 New Member

Canada
    Hi Tony,

To say that you have outdone yourself is truly something. The detail here is mind-boggling. I have a hard enough time painting those caps let alone stitching them! You need to open a museum of figures somewhere. The pictures are very well photographed but I imagine these have a whole life of their own seeing them up close. Perfectly and brilliantly executed as usual. Well done.
  14. Helm A Fixture

England
    The cap is as said stunning whole lot of work there Tony nice one
    Steve
  15. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Superb Tony as always with your pieces and a totally different aspect of figure modelling-how many of them do you have now? they remind me of the collection at the army museum in Paris but yours are much better executed.

Keith
  16. Tony Barton Active Member

United-States
    Thanks everyone : this figure seems to have struck a chord here , rather more than my previous ones .
    I have done conventional sculpted figures as well , in fact I still make small scale figures, but the large size is an altogether different game.
    The poseability gives you so many options , and of course you can add or take away items any time. I really recommend that people give it some consideration.
    The hard part, which is the body itself, can be bought off the shelf , with some very realistic heads now available.
    Most of the figures now are modern or WW2, because they are commercial, but making your own kit for other periods is far from impossible .
    If anyone wants some tips , just ask !

My collection is now about 120 , they are staying together, and I do hope some day to be able to display a selection somewhere .