1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Greetings from Pembrokeshire

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Sascha H., Apr 13, 2017.

1. Sascha H. Active Member

Hi all,

After a long time visiting your brilliant forum for amazing inspiration, I took the plunge ;) and decided to sign up now and say Hello :)

Here is a little bit of information about myself:

I was born in Germany, NRW and moved in 1979 to Baden-Württemberg but now live with my Welsh wife in Pembrokeshire, SW Wales.

I have always expressed a keen interest in military history and miniature figures. I can still remember opening my first box of Airfix plastic soldiers (French Napleonic Infantry), as a very young child and staging battles on the living room floor. Spending hours setting up hundreds of tiny soldiers only to be devastated in seconds by little marbles which represented artillery fire, ;) lol

I began painting these later on when I reached my teens and also small flat tin figures, after observing them in big Dioramas in German museums on school trips. I just loved that.

From there I moved on to Tamiya 1/35 scale models and figures but also tried some Historex Napoleonic kits for the first time when I was 18 and got hooked on modelling historical miniatures.

When I started my apprenticeship shortly after, I was able to buy magazines based on figures and military modelling. At this time there was no computer available and the internet was non-existent, so all I could do night after night is gaze at these wonderful works of art in these magazines, I asked myself whether maybe one day I could paint like this. It was not as easy as I thought. My first painted figure looked nothing like the ones in the magazine but I thoroughly enjoyed painting it and was sort of proud of my first attempt. My next step was to improve on these and so it continued.

After leaving school, I joined the Army, so was able to buy more books for research (and of course more figures).

In 1996 I was stationed in Wales and I was lucky enough to attend my first Euro-Militaire at Folkestone and see some of the work from Bill Horan (a jaw dropping experience) and many others. I can remember standing in front of that cabinet and thinking, “How on earth….. “. This was for me a great experience, two days of figures and mixing with people with the same interest as myself. Luckily, I had my then girlfriend (now wife) with me to keep an eye on my wallet, the temptation was just too much, it was all definitely a huge buzz. On arrival home, I decided to embark on some of the 54mm figures I had purchased, they took hours or even weeks of work but the results were so rewarding.

I also started buying the “White Dwarf” magazine, a new dimension of my hobby as their models were in a smaller 28mm scale but still figures to be painted. I bought quite a few boxed plastic figures, which were quicker to paint and a scale down from what I was used to painting.

In 1997/1998, I purchased some 25mm historical figures from “Redoubt” and “ Dixon ” because I had a huge interest in the ACW era, I ended up buying armies, so this was my next step. Of course I purchased a lot more than I could paint but it was the question of temptation again. Needless to say I still have many unpainted figures here with me :oops:

My next change of situation for me, was talk of Tolkiens' book “The Lord of the Rings” being prepared into a movie. This was one of my favourite books, read on many occasions, so like many others I could not wait for the film. We were not disappointed and I was hooked, for 3 whole years. On my trip to Euro Militaire in 2002, I had the lucky chance to meet Peter Jackson, the Director of the Lord of the Rings movie, he gave me his autograph, and definitely the motivation for my next project.

During these 3 years, I was at University, so it could have been so easy to paint all day and all night. It was at this time, after reading the White Dwarf magazine, that I decided to compete in the 2002 Golden Demon Competition in Nottingham . The day itself was brilliant and I, like many thousands, queued with my entry box in hand. It was a very tense day and very exciting. I received a Golden Demon and was ecstatic for many days after, it was all very rewarding. So much so, that I returned the year after and won silver.

I have started concentrating on 28 mm scale Miniatures and in the past have painted for some well known Companies, i.e. Wargames Foundry, Perry Miniatures and Gripping Beast. My work has appeared on the cover and alongside articles in Wargames Illustrated Magazine and Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy, which I try to buy monthly.

So hence the story goes, but one thing is for sure, I thoroughly enjoy my hobby and we have had a lot of laughs along the way, so long may it last…………..

I could go on but that might just bore you too much ;-) lol

I have attached a small selection of figures for you to see what I am usually painting. Most of them are at a smaller scale but will post more soon on your other sections of the forum ;)

I hope you like them.

I am looking forward to get to know you all.

Kind regards
    Sascha

2nd-Hus-Com01a.JPG

Lathiem01a.jpg

General_Custer01a.JPG

King_Arthur01a.JPG

Agincourt07g.jpg
  2. swralph A Fixture

Hello Sascha and welcome to PF:).
    Some very nicely painted figures you've shown.
    All the best.
    Ralph.
    Sascha H. and peedee like this.
  3. Sascha H. Active Member

Thank you Ralph :)
    peedee likes this.
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Welcome to Planet Figure Sascha, those are beautifully painted figures, looking forward to seeing further contributions. (y)
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Sascha

A BIG WELCOME to PF and cheers for a great bit of information about yourself

Lots of great folk here all my too willung to share skills and tips

Look forward to seeing your work f you need help do send me a private message

We have a great monthly feature called figure of the month (FOTM) ...for everybody for fun and with a treT prize as well

Happy painting

Nap
  6. Sascha H. Active Member

Thank you both so much :)
    peedee and billyturnip like this.
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Pleased to meet you Sascha, lovely work.(y)
  8. Sascha H. Active Member

It's a pleasure meeting you too housecarl :)
    peedee likes this.
  9. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Welcome to the forum
    peedee likes this.
  10. JonH Active Member

Hello Sascha.
    Those very tiny little men are fantastic. Just back from Pembroke where there was a great display by the Sealed Knot!
    All the best.
    Jon
  11. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Apart from me starting years before you Sascha, this post sounded like my story in many ways too !

Welcome to the forum I hope you enjoy your time here and thanks for sharing your pics.

Paul.
    Sascha H. likes this.
  12. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Sascha and welcome to PF:). Glad you've joined us, and great painting.
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Sascha H. likes this.
  13. Sascha H. Active Member

Thank you all so much for your warm welcome. I am really looking forward to get "stuck in" ;) and will post soon some more pictures.
    garyhiggins likes this.
  14. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Sascha,
    Welcome and love your story. Glad you wife helps you out and lets you spend a little. Very nice painting.
    Cheers
    John
    garyhiggins and Sascha H. like this.
  15. Sascha H. Active Member

Thank you John,

Lovely to meet you. You are quite right. I am very lucky to have such an understanding and supportive wife. She does not mind if I do once in a while get myself some figures as long she can have some shoes lol :LOL:
    garyhiggins likes this.