1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Greek Goddess

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Andrew Craft, May 12, 2011.

1. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Started this piece today it's the Greek Goddess from Historic Art. I thought I'd try do a sheer fabric it's something I haven't done before. At the moment it's a bit of an experiment but I think I'm on the right track. I painted the parts I wanted to be see through in a flesh colour and did a wash of the fabric colour over the skin, not sure if that's the usual way but it seems to work. I have only put down base colours at this stage.
    Any tips on painting the sheer fabric would be useful.
    Thanks,
    Andrew.

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I'm trying the same thing on the same figure, and I'm having a drama as well.
    Your looks much better than my attempt Andrew,
    Carl.
  3. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Haha great minds think alike hey Carl :)
    The effect looks great when done right, not sure I have the skill to pull it off yet. She may end up with a much less interesting dress.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  5. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Nice work Andrew. I can't wait for this to be finished. Hope you continue the SBS as it would be a perfect fig to do it with. (y)

Thanks,

Gary
  6. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Nice work so far. I think you are on the right path to the sheer fabric look.
  7. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice sheer effect :)
  8. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    This is a fine attempt at a diaphanously clad Goddess....some of my favorite people and fun to say.
    Good job.
  9. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    See-through is a very good idea.
    Great start.
    I'd like to follow.

Mitsutaka.
  10. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Looks great so far!
    I have been leaning towards this figure since I first saw it. Thanks to your post I may get it.

BTW. What kind of mix did you use for a flesh base color? It seems perfect for a women fleshtone.
  11. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I think the sheer material over the skin is fine. I think the issue you might have is that the other material not draped over the skin is a bit dark, so it seems to go from a thick fabric to a very thin fabric without much transition. I think if you lightened the green a bit in the other areas, and had a little more transition from dark to sheer, then the sheer effect might work better for you.
    Cheers
    Jason
  12. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jeez Andrew that effect looks spot on.
  13. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    I think it looks really good. I've never done sheer in acrylic, only in oils. I paint flesh first and than mix medium into the fabric paint and get it soupy. Paint that over the dried skin color and wipe it off a bit where I want skin to show through. I think it would be really hard to do in acrylics, pretty impressive what you've done here.
  14. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Not an easy thing to do Andrew,I recall seeing an article in Figurines No.91 on the subject, all the flesh areas are painted first then the clothing and taking it over the dry flesh on just the highlights.If you can get your hands on this Magazine the pictures show the effect very well.

Cheers David
  15. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    The "sheer material" effect over the skin is just sublime IMHO Bravissimo!!!

Ray ;)
  16. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking very promising!

Following with interest :)

Mark
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great painting Andrew. The sheer look is perfect
  18. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks for all the comments and advice everyone. I have decided to tone down the green colour a little and go with a bit more of an olive tone, I'll keep the updates coming.

Cheers,
    Andrew.
  19. Harry New Member

Netherlands
    Was there any particular reason why you chose green? Are you painting her as a Nereid, or something?
  20. Jazz A Fixture

England
    I like the see through effect you have created in the dress. Well done.