1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Greek Evzone Officer, 1850's

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by valiant, Sep 26, 2015.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys,

some pics of my latest (slight) conversion to YS Masterpieces Greek Revolutionary Fighter.

I wanted to portray a slightly later figure, so I have modified the piece a little from the original. I have removed the long hair (the original is based on Georgios Drakos, who appears to have had very long hair), resculpted the embroidery on the back of the jacket and added a new tassel to the fez/cap.

I will replace the pistols with later versions along with the slung musket. Not huge modifications, but enough, I hope to make it a little different! Resculpting done with Duro and Milliput.

A big thanks too, to Steve Kirtley for supplying the original bust.

Thanks for looking,

Steve(y)

IMG_7629.JPG IMG_7630.JPG IMG_7631.JPG
    Edward, MCPWilk, akaryu and 8 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve ,

Looking good mate , like the lacework ..must have been a quiet time doing that!....

What's the spots on the base ....texture effects? ...did you do the badge on the front ?

Looking forward to seeing this painted

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  3. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kev, the spots on the base are where I filled in the cast texture, I also did the back of the figure, as I felt it was a bit too heavy and detracted from the figure. The badge is mine, yes - the current evzone cap badge, I was unable to find suitable reference for the original version(s)

I have also removed the sword from when I took the pics and have replaced it with a cigar in his hand - It just looked right!!

thanks for looking, more pics soon,(y)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  4. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    That is a cool conversion. Will follow with interest.
    valiant likes this.
  5. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is lovely steve, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at the shows

Paul
    valiant likes this.
  6. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Paul, maybe at Telford, as this is my mum's birthday present so it has to be done for the end of October...no pressure...!!!
  7. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    So you're fixing ya mum up with a swarthy gentleman eh ?

Kinky !

See ya soon bud,

No pressure.

P
    valiant likes this.
  8. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comments, chaps - I will post more pics this evening, when I get in from the fun factory! It is pretty much ready for primer, just working on a new musket, pistol and dagger!(y)
  9. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some pre-primer pics, chaps!

Fingers fleshed out, the originals looked a bit skeletal, knuckles re-defined, sword hilt removed and cigar added. Some work on the left eye and forehead to improve facial symmetry, badge on the fez added, all joints pinned and tidied up ready for primer tonight.

One of the kit pistols converted to percussion cap with modified butt. A scratchbuilt dagger will replace the second pistol in the holster and the kit musket discarded replaced by a new scratchbuilt version.

I will post more pics soon as painting progresses. Thanks for looking,

Steve(y)

IMG_7632.JPG IMG_7633.JPG IMG_7634.JPG IMG_7635.JPG
    Edward likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Steve ,

That looks great , I liked the original but like your version even better .

Looking forward to seeing the painting begin

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    valiant likes this.
  11. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Kev - I hope my painting will do it justice!!!(y)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  12. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Folks,

just a few pics of my roughed out painting so far - done at club last night with acrylics, without a suitable lamp, so needs refinement with washes and a little more blending. The eyes have a Will Hay look about them, at the moment!!

Jacket will have silver thread on it so the grey/blue is the basecoat so that I can shade up the blue underneath. Not looking forward to the whites...!!

Still masses to do, thanks for looking,

Steve(y)

IMG_7636.JPG IMG_7637.JPG IMG_7638.JPG
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great work on the conversion Steve,looking forward to following mate :)
    valiant likes this.
  14. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some more pics from last night's sitting! Moving on quite well, some tidying to do, more metallics (lacework), etc. The shading on the whites seems to have bleached out a bit on the photos, but is more apparent in the flesh (resin!). I have gone for a tooled leather look for the holster belt, weapons just placed for shots at the moment. the whites have been glossed to protect them whilst handling now, but it will be all matted down once complete.

Thanks for looking in(y)

IMG_7642.JPG IMG_7643.JPG IMG_7644.JPG IMG_7645.JPG
    Old Pete and billyturnip like this.