1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Grandmaster of St John Order 54mm

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Manatarm, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Manatarm Active Member

China
    Hi guys,

Just finished this 54mm figure from Andrea miniatures, all by Acrylics. This figure's chain mail is pretty much plat, I spent much more time than usual to deal with it. Hope you like it.

Cheers
    Yi

IMG_9567.jpg IMG_9566.jpg IMG_9568.jpg IMG_9569.jpg
  2. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Like you sharp painting style Yi(y)

When are you going to do the review of Louis XIV?

Cheers,

Paul
    Oda likes this.
  3. Oda A Fixture

You have done a great job.Especially considering the piece(part of my GA too).The chainmail on this one is almost non existent.Nevertheless you managed to make it visible.As for the rest of the figure,top class painting.

Oda.
  4. Manatarm Active Member

China
    Hi Paul, thanks for your comment. Louis XIV figure is in my country house together with most of my grey army, will take the photos this weekend or next.;)

Hi Oda, thank you for your nice comment. It seems you got the same problem on this figure, this is the first Andrea's 54mm figure I painted, don't know if this is casting issue or the problem of original scuplture.

Cheers
    Yi
  5. Oda A Fixture

At some point Andrea made a turn.It started producing far fewer pieces than it did in the past.The new ones were generally smaller,flatter with much more "subtler" sculpting and rather more expensive than before (to make my point compare Henry the 8th-a masterpiece of sculpting-with the matchlock-ashigaru that came after or the master of St.John).Back in the day,Andrea was a veritable giant not only producing many pieces every month but also producing monumental figures and dioramas(Viking longship,Holy land castle,Trebuchet,U-boat to name a few).Nowdays it's a shadow of it's former self.I don't know if the downgrading of its quality(sculpting) and quantity of output were the causes or the consequences of its "fall" but they are there.I think that the grandmaster is a faulty sculpting to begin with.Nevertheless you can find in Andrea's range some fabulous pieces to paint (for Instance try the Norman with the hawk on his wrist and the hunting crossbow in his other hand, mighty inspiring stuff).

Oda.
  6. Manatarm Active Member

China
    Hi Oda, thanks for the introduction, Andrea did produce some lovely pieces in the past, they had thier days:)

Cheers
    Yi
    Oda likes this.
  7. luisg Active Member

Hi
    Black is a colour not easy to paint, but you did a great job
    OldTaff and Oda like this.
  8. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Some fantastic work there. The blacks look great, and I like the subtle weathering on the bottom of the cloak/tabard.
    Phil
    OldTaff and Oda like this.
  9. Manatarm Active Member

China
    Hi Louisg and Phil, thank you very much for your nice comments!
    Oda likes this.
  10. fermatgom A Fixture

Spain
    Wow, you have done an impressive work with the textures of the cloak!
    Oda likes this.
  11. Manatarm Active Member

China
    Hi fermatgom, thanks for your nice comment!;)
    fermatgom likes this.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I like the work on the black cloth. But I don't like his yellow-greenisch hair.
    It gives to much attention, and distracts the eye for the beautifull painting further on the figure.

Marc
    Oda likes this.
  13. Manatarm Active Member

China
    Hi Marc, thanks for your nice comment. I was intented to paint his hair as blonde, but can't find the right colour for it, will try it next time.

Cheers
    Yi
    Oda likes this.