1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Grandad's WW1 ambulance

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by NeilW, Sep 19, 2020.

1. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all,

For some time I've aimed to do a vignette based on this photo of my Grandad during WW1....
    Amb2b.jpg Amb1c.jpg

BUT CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THE MAKE/MODEL OF THE AMBULANCE?

I've checked the 'usual suspects (notably Model T Ford) but can't seem to get a match (could even be a 'one-off' as I understand that private vehicles were donated and converted).

Looking at the mudguards, this (NZ in Cairo) seems the closest match, but still no model details (but useful interior shot).
    Amb1.JPG

Background: Grandad was a driver/mechanic in the ASC 1914-18, never rising above the lowly rank of private. The photo is probably Egypt or Palestine (but could be France): he's the one at the radiator.

The Sgt probably isn't, but I'd do as 'Uncle Tom': a chauffeur from Windemere (no, he didn't drive boats). They met up as drivers and became lifelong friends with Grandad moving from Kent to Lancashire after the war to work for him as a mechanic (he was an 'early adopter' of motor vehicles and worked as a driver/mechanic all the way from pre-WW1 to the late 1960s).

I have his 'Pip, Squeak and Wilfred' (y)

UPDATE: the photo is a postcard sent to his parents. Unfortunately there's no date or location but it is a "Carte Postale" and asks for the "Adresse", so most probably sent from France (by Sept 1916 he was later in Egypt/Palestine- I know because there's another pic of him with mates in shorts)
    OldTaff, MattMcK. and Nap like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    I was going to say Model T but maybe not ...!! ...lots of pics on 'tinternet

Might be a civil nuclear adapted or another in use converted to ambulance

Maybe Steve Leadley ( Valiant ) might know he recently did a vehicle with figures here

image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg

Sorry can't be more helpful

Following with interest

Nap
    Borek, captnenglish and valiant like this.
  3. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Nap... as you say, lots online including the usual suspects (lot's of Model Ts) but nothing quite like Grandad's (the radiator and bulkhead are distinctive).

I'm sure someone will know: I'll have to dig out a WW1 modelling/vehicles site (I'm sure I found one years ago).

Any ideas welcome :)
    captnenglish and Nap like this.
  4. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    You might have already tried this, Neil, but couldn't the Imperial War Museum help if you sent them a copy of the picture? They might even be able to tell you what theatre
    Grandad was serving in as well.
    Good luck with your research - I managed to track my great-uncle's location down to a couple of metres on the Western Front, just by quoting regiment, battalion and company, and that he was a signaller at Mametz Wood.

Alan
    captnenglish and Nap like this.
  5. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Alan,

Thanks, I did think of that as well.... may well give it a go.

I went to their site but searching seems a bit wierd :confused:

Also thought of trying the RAMC and RLC.

Neil
    OldTaff likes this.
  6. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I think you mean Steve leadley Kevin?

Keith
    valiant and Nap like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England

Thanks of course it is ...at least Steve was right !

Hope all's well

Nap
    Tecumsea and valiant like this.
  9. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Keeping our heads down Kev, walking, gardening and an occasional spot of modelling...looks like another similar year ahead...keep safe.

Keith
    Nap likes this.
  10. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My first thoughts were that it was a Crossley, but checking, it would appear not. I dont think its a Ford, as it has wire wheels and they had artillery wheels and it has a longer wheelbase. I think it may be British or French, so that narrows it down a bit, but Ill keep looking....!(y)
    Nap likes this.
  11. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Steve... I just PMd you ref this... any help welcome,

Neil
    Nap and valiant like this.
  12. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ive eliminated Crossley, Ford, Maudslay, Sunbeam Rover, Napier and Vauxhall,so far......(y)
    NeilW and Nap like this.
  13. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Neil:
    Try posting your question on http://www.missing-lynx.com. I've been working on my first armour pieces in 30 years, asked a few rookie questions on the site and received a good number of helpful responses. Initially, didn't find it to be the most user friendly site but once registered, go to the 'Discussion Groups' in their directory
    NeilW and Nap like this.
  14. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for that Paul, will do (y)
  15. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    There's a photo of what looks like the same model in Lyn MacDonald's book, "Roses of No-Man's Land". Sadly doesn't give the name of the vehicle and no more details are obvious than are on your photo. It does however place it with an American volunteer ambulance unit in Alsace in 1916. This is before the US direct involvement in the War and I believe that many American ambulance volunteers served with the French, so chances are this is a French vehicle in this particular photo. Worth a look though.
    Nap likes this.
  16. François De Vleeschouwer New Member

Argentina
    Dear Neil,

I have been follower of this forum for years but today I thought I would get membership, as I think I may help you in your search.

I think the ambulance is a Belgian Minerva. The first things that brought my attention were the mudguards and lights, very similar to the Minerva AFV and touring vehicle.

Two links with interesting pictures:

Picture with similar ambulance quoting for Minerva: https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/spectrum/audio/201757875/one-woman,-one-ambulance,-wwi

Minerva automobile (check mudguards, lights, front suspension, radiator, all very similar to your granddad's picture):https://ar.pinterest.com/pin/752804893944513164/?d=t&mt=login

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

F.
    captnenglish, Nap and NeilW like this.
  17. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for that Francois, but I think you're looking at the wrong photos.

This is my Grandad and his ambulance (note the rounded radiator and bonnet).

Amb1c.jpg Amb2c.jpg Amb3b.jpg

Thanks anyway (y)
    Borek likes this.
  18. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sounds promising (tho' enhanced photos suggest it was donated by the [Red Cross?] Society): I understand that some early French cars were R/H drive... might that be so for the ones you describe?

Any chance of a scan/photo of it?

Of course he served with the British Army (and the photo could be Egypt/Palestine... he was always proud of having driven ambulances 'in the Holy Land')... but did also serve in France so it could be either (the back of the card was cropped so nbo indication of a date or from where it was sent: but I do have other photos of him with mates in Cairo).

Neil
    captnenglish likes this.
  19. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    To clarify Nap's pics - large photo in colour, Model T. B and W large pic, Vauxhall. ICM Model T kit boxart and small colour pic, Minerva. I still cant trace the one we need to trace!(y)
    Nap and NeilW like this.
  20. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Steve, the caption ref the Minerva confirms that R/H drive is no impediment to not being British.
    valiant likes this.