1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review "Gorilla"

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to everyone,

In this fast moving world of ours full of technology its sometimes too easy to forget the fight that goes on with our valuable and amazing wildlife.

Whilst looking on FB a while ago I noticed a sculptor from France called Fancagne Didier who had started a sculpt of a gorilla , those that know me will realise I like many others appreciate these subjects ( as well as having an artistic and wildlife fanatic wife ) so I decided to follow this WIP ...am I glad I did .

Lets have a bit about the gorilla :

• African apes (gorillas, chimpanzees and bonobos) diverged from a common ancestor about 5 million years ago and belong to the family Hominidae. Gorillas and chimpanzees walk quadrupedally (on all fours) and use their knuckles to carry the weight of their head and torso.
    • There are two different gorilla species (each with two sub-species). The Western Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla) has the sub-species: Western Lowland Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla) and Cross River Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla diehli); while the Eastern Gorilla (Gorilla beringei) has the sub-species: Mountain Gorilla (Gorilla beringei beringei) and Eastern Lowland Gorilla (Gorilla beringei graueri). All species are endangered due to habitat loss and hunting amongst other threats, however the Cross River Gorilla is the rarest with fewer than 300 wild individuals remaining in eight small isolated populations in Nigeria and Cameroon.
    • Scientist have shown that gorillas display individual traits and personalities
    • Gorillas have been observed displaying emotions such as grief.
    • Social grooming is an important aspect of gorilla groups which helps to establish and reinforce social bonds. Gorillas will groom each other by coming each other with their fingers and teeth.
    • Gorillas are mainly herbivorous with the majority of their diet consisting of leaves, shoots and stems, some fruit and some small animal prey such as grubs, caterpillars, snails, termites and ants. Western Lowland gorilla diets have a much higher proportion of fruit.
    • Females will start giving birth at about 10 years old and will have offspring every 3-4 years. When in oestrus she will be able to conceive for only three days in the month.
    • Gorillas have a gestation period of nine months like humans, but babies usually weigh less than humans at approximately 4 pounds, their development is however roughly twice as fast.
    • Gorillas spend a good deal of their time on the ground rather than in the trees, and will make new nests on the ground each night.
    • Gorillas were seen for the first time using simple tools to perform tasks in the wild in 2005. They were observed using sticks to test the depth of muddy water and to cross swampy areas.
    • In Mountain gorillas the ‘belch vocalization’ is a contact call and sign of contentment while foraging. Most gorillas will use a low grumbling sound to both locate each other and as sign of contentment. Aggressive displays, such as the beating of chests and charging are quite rare but will be used by male gorillas as a warning if surprised or threatened.
    • Although gorillas are generally quiet, they have a range of complex vocalisations which are used to communicate information in numerous contexts including teaching survival skills to young, searching for food, and in courtship. Like some other apes such as chimpanzees and orangutans they are even capable of learning basic human sign language

The Sculptor Fancagne hails from Toulouse in France and is a freelance sculptor and modeller at Kaha Miniatures .

The subject he chose to do is a simple but extremely moving piece , an older gorilla perhaps a silverback , the leader of a group.

As you can see from the pictures they all have characters and emotions :

Gorilla 8.jpg
    Gorilla.jpg Gorilla 1.jpg
    Gorilla 4.jpg
    Gorilla 5.jpg Gorilla 7.jpg Gorilla 2.jpg
    Gorilla 3.jpg Gorilla 6.jpg
    What are we looking at:

Title: Gorilla

Scale: Approx 65mm in height

Material: Gray Resin

No of Pieces; 1

Sculptor: Fancacgne Didier

After contacting Fancagne via FB the piece landed on my doormat well packed in a small jiffy bag, on opening I found a rather tasty resealable black plastic bag and inside was our gorilla and a business card with a rather nice message

Prep ..this is is a super smooth bit of casting with only a minute casting line to sand off from the back Gorilla 006.jpg ...time approx 10 seconds!!!

Gorilla 001.jpg

Looking at the piece now the sculpting is sublime , this is without doubt a wonderful find in my opinion.

The sculpting of the chest muscles is great with some nice texture moving up we see the body being covered in hair , there are millions on the actual animal and they have been really nicely worked on the sculpt , the ears are tiny again as in the real animal beautifully reproduced , peeking out from the hair , the head shape is spot on.

What is really impressive is the face itself from the mouth slightly downwards in shape , the nose and the eyes are wonderful , this animal could almost walk its that good.

Let the pictures tell the story
    Gorilla 003.jpg Gorilla 004.jpg Gorilla 005.jpg Gorilla 008.jpg Gorilla 007.jpg
    Final Thoughts:

Suffice to say its a fine piece of sculpting from a very talented man ...I shall certainly be following his work. The subject matter does highlight the need to protect these and all wildlife in this amazing world of ours.

For more details have a look on FB or you could e mail him at :

myfor_1@hotmail.com.

Thanks for looking in

Enjoy the modelling and painting whatever subjects

Nap
    Steve, GARRY, Perseas and 13 others like this.
  2. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Great but a really challenge to paint the fur. But I like that bust. Thanks for that review
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England

Thanks Ulrich ,

You are right a real challenge to paint the fur and it's something different as well but so many variations as you can see in pictures , glad you like the bust and review

Thanks for looking in

Nap
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A superb rendition of an endangered subject (y)
    Scale and price?
  5. Nap Moderator

England

My apologies you can get it direct from the sculptor just send a message via FB , the cost was a bargain € 20 , he is extremely helpful as well .

Thanks for looking in

Nap
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Scale/size Nap......don't do FB....so e-mail I guess :)
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    OOOPs....just seen it Nap....doh! :rolleyes:
  8. swralph A Fixture

Thanks for the review Nap.
  9. Mark S Guest

It's a great idea...but I reckon the nose looks too much like a Bat's and not like a Gorilla's.
    Steve and Edward like this.
  10. Helm A Fixture

England
    I do agree with Mark but some careful Dremel work and filling could probably save it the rest is superb
    Steve
  11. jenghiz Active Member

England
    Nap,I tried several days ago to contact Myfor via FB page but I am getting no response,wondered if anyone else has tried ?
  12. Nap Moderator

England

Hi there ,

He was on FB today , I know he had his house broken into by some scum so he might have been tied up with that .

He has just done a crocodile as well!

Nap
  13. MIXVS MINIMAX Member

It's nice sculpted-no question. But for me it looks more like a gorilla from "Planet of the apes" than a real gorilla. For a real gorilla, flatland or highland, the nose is too big and sits to high. There must be a distance between nose and eyes in the scale of the upper lip. Furthermore the back of the head is to flat.
    Steve likes this.
  14. jenghiz Active Member

England
    Still no response Nap,will try e-mail.