1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Gordon Highlander with New Plinth

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, Jun 5, 2011.

1. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    I was inspired by Carl Ried's 1/10 scale bust of a WWI highlander, firmly believing it was one of the best sculpts offered this past year. But I did think he would look better on a new plinth/base, so I got out the magisculp, and got a little carried away. He's almost finished now, with just a few buckles needing to be added, and then I can start painting! I've included a 54mm highlander from JMD to give you a sense of the scale of this conversion. Hope you like it, and any any comments would be most welcome as always.
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Outstanding Glenn! Superb level of detail and completion!

All the best,
    Dan
  3. IronMike A Fixture

4. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Mike and Dan. I just wanted to try and make the bottom half "fit" with the top half so that my work wouldn't stand out drastically from that of Carl's.
  5. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Glen, this is fantastic! look forward to some paint on it. Well done. Les
  6. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Les, I'm looking forward to putting some paint on it myself, it will be a nice change after messing around with putty for a month and a half.
  7. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Incredible Glenn, you've done a swell job on this :thumb
    With so many nice busts to choose from I hope to see this more often!
  8. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Gordy; It's true that with the variety and quality of busts available, the conversion options are endless. The downside is the lack of space in the display cabinet! This thing is huge at 200mm tall. If I were to take him to a show, he'd need his own airline ticket.
    gordy likes this.
  9. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb 'plinth'. I don't suppose there's any chance of this becoming available commercially?

Kind regards,

Mike
  10. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    If you hadn't said, I wouldn't know this was a converted bust, the match up of the sculpting is superb.
    Ben
  11. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Fantastic work Glen!!!!

You have matched the legs with the torso seamlessly..... Fantatsic!!!!

Well done mate.
    Can't wait to see him painted!

Carl
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Superb Glenn, should look stunning painted up.
    Carl.
  13. Tommy's War Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I thought my eyes were deceiving me and that I was going slightly (!) mad.

Superb, it looks amazing!

It is incredible to see it next to the 54mm figure, the sheer scale of it is awesome!

Fantastic work (I've run out of hyperbole now)
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Superbe Glenn.
    I saw this thing done by a German at the Overloon show.
    It is a giant.
    But, you managed it outstanding.....Really would like to see it painted.

marc
  15. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    This is fantastic Glenn, and it's inspired me to try it myself. One thing you might want to look at are the flashes (the red tabs on the socks) the Gordons had a special loop on theirs. If you need it I can get an image to you. Well done!
    Scotty
  16. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Outstanding!
  17. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bloody amazing Glenn
  18. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb , been wondering how long it would take for someone to do this.

Must admit it has given me the idea to produce it like this myself as a short run piece, not sure of the demand though.

Looking forward to seeing the paint on this one

Stu
    Chris K likes this.
  19. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Hee hee - great stuff old friend I love the imagination and skill, well done.:cool:
  20. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks everyone. Ben, Carl B. Darren, Marc, Rob, Ron, Stu and Rob H, thank you all for your kind words. I am pleased that this has truck a chord with you all.

Scotty, if you wouldn't mind taking a few seconds to send me that image, I'd really appreciate it. It would be a crime to have come this far to ignore the details now, wouldn't it.

Cheers Michael, If this were to be offered commercially, it would have to be by Carl Ried as it is his sculpt that holds all the character, I just gave him legs. As Stu pointed out, the demand for such a large figure would probably be a concern for someone wanting to produce it commercially. But I am flattered that you think it's good enough for commercial consideration.

Special thanks to you Carl, always a special honour when the sculptor takes a moment to comment on my efforts. From the moment I saw this as a new release, I could see what a great figure this was, and how it would lend itself to this kind of conversion. So a special thanks for doing all the hard work for me!