1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Gordon Highlander Private 1914

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Elia, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Elia,
    this is coming along nicely. If you are anything like me you will never be 100% happy but and keep making adjustments.
    For you first sculpt this is a difficult subject and you will learn a lot from your work on it.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  2. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Thanks, Keith! Indeed, I learned a lot from it - especially how to make the folds of the clothing & boots.

If everything goes according to plan we'll mould it today so in a few days I'll be able to post more pictures.

All the best,
    Elia :)
    Wings5797 likes this.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good luck with the casting process Elia.
    All the best,
    Keith
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Elia ,

Thanks for the most detailed reply , as I said I am no sculptor , I look forward to seeing how this actually progresses when its all put together complete .

Like the idea behind using the actual surface to make them look more worn .

Please dokeep us all posted I have this on my watched list

Thanks again for sharing

Nap
  5. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Thank you for your comments, Keith & Nap.

We poured the silicone about an hour ago - I had help from my sculpture teacher. I've had to remove the arms & mould them separately which means there will be some minor adjustments to be made later. The silicone needs 24 hrs to so now we wait, fingers crossed and all that :nailbiting:.

All the best,
  6. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    I am sure that it will be fine but I will cross my fingers too.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    Elia likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Elia ,

I am crossing my fingers as well ..should be nearly ready!!!!!

Happy casting

Nap
    Elia likes this.
  8. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Hello all,

here are the latest photos of the project.

Casting went better than expected: we moulded the figure in one piece and the hands separately. Detail of the sculpture was captured very well. We made block moulds instead of two-part moulds which was faster but it meant that there was a lot more retouching to be done after casting. I think that next time I'll plan ahead and probably sculpt with the moulding process in mind. Still, very happy with the result :)!

The positive was cast with a kind of plaster called Giluform which takes about an hour to dry. It then becomes hard and can be sanded etc. It took a couple of tries to get the whole of the front of the kilt intact. The left hand was also a bit tricky. There was a lot of retouching - mostly with Giluform and a bit of Milliput - but it's finally ready for painting.

I found a rectangular base that fitted the scale of the figure. For the ground I used self-drying clay (painted initially with a couple of washes of acrylics), static grass, sand and shrubbery (the basic stuff from modellers' shops). I'm waiting for it to dry before applying more washes and dry-brushing it. The bench was built from balsa wood.

There are also a couple of accessories to be build (from Milliput): a glengarry and a mess tin/mug and I'm not sure what else - I'll figure out if anything is missing when I put it all together.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

All the best,

figure.jpg ground01.jpg ground02.jpg
    crf, Wings5797 and napoleonpeart like this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Elia,
    I was planning to contact you to see how the casting went this week but you beat me to it.
    You must be really happy with this result. I like it a lot.
    The base is taking good shape and your carpentry is so good.......if I send you the wood will you please make a 1:1 scale bench for my garden;) ?
    Well done, really good work here Elia.
    All the best,
    Keith
    Elia and crf like this.
  10. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Hello all,

after a (very) long while I finally finished the figure. The pictures are pretty poor but you get a general idea of it.

Usually I use oils over enamels but this time I had a lot of trouble with the paints: for some reason, although I primed with an enamel spray, the oils just did not stick to the figure. I removed it and used an acrylic primer but it was even worse - the paint just peeled off. Any idea why this happened? After a lot of trial and error I finally managed it (I don't know how) in all areas - except the face :mad:! This is why I added the bandage: on this side of the face the oils didn't stick no matter what I tried so I thought I'd cover it up and add a bit of drama! So the face - of all things - is not painted as it should.

Anyway, feedback would be appreciated. Hopefully, next time I'll fail better ;)!

All the best.

front-cropped.JPG 3-4left-cropped.JPG 3-4right-cropped.JPG
    Wings5797 likes this.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good work Elia.
    A nice pose and good painting. I especially like the apron and small amount of tartan that is showing, very accurate work.
    Well done you.
    All the best,
    Keith
  12. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Thank you, Keith!

All the best,