1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Goodbye Old Man"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Oct 27, 2007.

1. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi Dan !
    Although I don't own a horse (not enough space in Singapore !), I think that Mike is right in suggesting that the ear openings should be facing outwards and not as you have depicted them. It looks more natural to me that way, although I stand ready to be corrected for my ignorance on such matters. My 2 cents worth. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
    (BTW, your vignette brings back fond memories of all the dogs and cats that I have lost to illnesses and old age too. Thanks, Dan.)
  2. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Hey Dan, Here are some more shots I found of horse ears being "pinned back" to give you an idea what I was talking about.

regards,
    Mike

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Kenneth - Thanks for your comments! Cheers!

Mike - OK - if I'm understanding you correctly, the ears should be slightly more upright with the openings to the outside, right? I can do that. I just want to be sure I understand before I do it.

All the best,
    Dan
  4. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    It looks really good so far Dan! As for the ears but maybe they should be a little more pinched at the bottom since they're swivelled back? (I defer to those with more experience with horses though.)

Just a general horsey question: Every horse I have ridden (which isn't all that many) had their mane on one side or the other. I've seen more than one sculpt in which the mane is hanging on both sides (at the same time, not part of the mane on one side and part on the other). Is one or the other correct or is each horse different in that respect or maybe a breed characteristic?
  5. Zlobov*S Active Member

Hi my friend Dan!
    Allow to tell to me for you some supervision is not mistakes, only a wish or other sight.
    I also agree about opinion my friends - the head has some variants of the further correction.
    Ears in an inclination back - it is valid better.
    And it is possible to eat with sense to break symmetry hair for a mane and to add for a bang, a mane and a tail some length hair - what your opinion?
    I do not say goodbye and yours faithfully, Sergey.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      76.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      91.3 KB
      Views:
  6. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Wendy,
    Yes to all of the above regarding mane. Mane orientation can depend on several factors.
    Breed- Some horses have heavier manes than others. This also includes mane length. These factors can be genetic, environmental and diet.The result is a longer mane or heavier haired mane may part in the center. Where as a shorter mane or thinner hair may go to one side or the other.

Grooming- Again dependent on the horses job the mane can be groomed to go to one side, pulled (rarely is it "cut') to length which is really just a method of trimming the mane by pulling on the hair to break or tear it at a desired length or in the case of some breeds, and employments, the mane can be roached where the mane is cut short (sort of a crew cut for horses). For what ever reason, be it looks or ease of maintenance.
    Also, like human hair, if you always comb it to a certain side, it will eventually naturally go to a particular side. In regards to this too, a longer mane means more maintenance.

Cavalry mounts, will usually have a shorter mane, trained to one side or the other because of the sharper, cleaner appearance. Pack animals or draft horses will have roached manes or in some cases longer or heavier manes that are breed specific or the manes may not be as well cared for. Beasts of burden are not always treated the same as prized mounts or pets so you will see looser margins of care regarding appearance. Mostly erring to the ease of maintenance and maximize function.

Cavalry mounts will ofetn retain a mane because it is used as an aid in maintaining a seat or control. You can use it as a means to steady yourself on the horse and if you've ridden bare back its certainly a great way to haul yourself up on the horses back and stay on.

Sergey,
    While definately an aesthetic observation, the horse you use in your example is an arabian. A horse breed rarely if ever, used as a pack animal or draft horse. Their manes and tails have a definate characteristic difference than the horse being used in Dan's vignette. The dished face, crested neck, "flagged" tail and longer mane are more characteristic of the smaller arabian, not the warm blood or draft of Dan's subject. The extended tail that is being held erect is also indicative of a horse that is stimulated and "proud" where as Dan's is down, exhausted or wounded.
  7. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Dan,
    The position or angle you have them in now is fine, just roatate the openings to the outside or a little towards the rear. If you look carefully at the last pic I posted here in the thread you'll see that they are just slightly closed and pulled back with the inside edge of the ear opening bisecting the ear longitudinaly.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Wendy and Sergei - Many thanks for all your marvelous comments!

Wendy - Great observation about the mane! I remember seeing that myself sometimes. I think Mike explains it well.

Sergei - I couldn't have explained it the way Mike did and I would really like to make another horse, maybe a cavalry horse, that has the attributes you depicted - He'd be a beaut! But, as Mike correctly explained, (a) the horse is overworked, exhausted and wounded and (b) he's a working horse and probably on his best day didn't look beautiful. Again, thanks for your comments and I will follow them on another horse, I assure you. To me, you still have an absolutely astounding gift and a special touch sculpting horses! You're the master!

Mike - Your comments are (for me) 100% spot on! Thank you so much! And I'm signing off PF to go cut the ears off and re-orient them or make new ones!

All the best,
    Dan