1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Goodbye Old Man - sculpting complete, I think...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Background - this is a little homage to my favorite WWI illustrator, Fortunio Matania, and his best known work by the same title. It's a British artilleryman and a horse. I like to think maybe he's a pre-war professional soldier, who has known this horse since it came to the battery. He's cleaned him, curried him, fed and watered, sneaked apples and carrots from the mess for him. And now the horse has been wounded or maybe broken a leg or....and must be left. So two comrades are saying goodbye...

The scale is my usual 1/16th. The horse is from an out of production Verlinden kit, modified to fit the pose, etc. The head of the artilleryman is from the Lost Battalion, hands and one boot from Jaguar, one boot from Model Cellar. The ruined French cooking pot on the ground is from Model Cellar. The rest you can blame on me. The harness is all putty except one piece of lead strip connecting the harness on the ground and that lying in the crook of the artilleryman's arm. The ground is a mix of some resin, some Sculpey and is mostly covered with pumice paste. The yellow stuff you see under one boot and at one shoulder, is phototack. To enable the painter to paint the figure, I had to make one arm separately. In the crouching pose, with one hand on either side of the horse's neck there was no other choice. Even then it is not exactly easy to get the artilleryman into and out of position.

These photos were taken in some gauzy afternoon winter sun and they aren't the best. I also see I need to buy a new blue poster board backdrop!! :)!!

Comments and critique - as always - most welcome!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Dan,

I am awe struck. This is a beautiful piece.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Mike - I absolutely couldn't have done it without your help! FYI everybody - Mike is a horse-owner and helped with the horse anatomy, positioning, etc. He very kindly sent photos and answered my many questions. Thanks Mike!

All the best,
    Dan
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, you know I am a big fan of oyur slupture, so please take it the way it is meant, the right foot/ankle on the trooper looks akward to me.
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Matt - Thanks! I assume you mean the raised foot with the wad of yellow photomount under it - Right? I scalpel-ed out the photomount and Glory Be! it stayed in place so I could snap these poorly lit photos. Let me know if this is OK or not. The white stuff on the left putty is one of the putty leather straps.

It looks like the front of the boot needs a little more filler, but rather than cover over the small metal nub that indicates where the boot has to be put, I'll let the painter do that.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

6. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    That was the correct foot and it does look better in this pic, but there is something still awkward about it, but then again may that is what you were going for.
  7. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks very dramatic Dan,I like it!
    christos
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Great work Dan, I know how much you put into this and it's paid off, well done.

Roger
  9. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Dan

it is really great and I like it. You have found a good picture for your sculpting.

Ulrich
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Matt, Chris, Roger, Ulrich - Many thanks gentlemen!!!

And now to find a painter... Roger Newsome is "full up" and has declined. Anybody interested? Drop me a PM please. Thanks!

All the best,
    Dan
  11. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Dan, it is a heart rendering little scene which I have watched develop with interest. It would bring tears from a stone when you think what is going through his mind. Very well done indeed.
  12. "Tarakaman" New Member

United-States
    The sculpting looks great on this peace!!! can't wait to see it when it is finished....
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Stephen and Matthew: Many thanks gentlemen. You are both too kind.

All the best,
    Dan
  14. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    well done Dan

This is a very moving peice Dan.Quite emotional.Youve captured the story perfectly.
    Andy
  15. Zlobov*S Active Member

Fine execution{performance} and transfer of mood!
    Yours faithfully.
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent sculpting Dan,

Marc
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Andy, Sergey and Marc - Many thanks gentlemen!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ONE AND ALL!

Dan
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Calling all painters! Calling all painters! If you'd like to take a crack at this one, send me a PM.

All the best,
    Dan
  19. lolok Active Member

United-Kingdom
    An amazing and beautiful rendition of an Iconic WW1 image.Up there with Lusitania cover and the nurse Edith Cavell cover.Shame it isn't retail,it would sell like hotcakes.
  20. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    EXCELLENT Stuff my friend!.

Rafa