1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Goodbye Old Man - A little more progress

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    OK - some new pics - still very much WIP! No arms on the figure yet and many details still. I haven't gotten the location of the artilleryman exactly right yet. I may have to take that cap visor off and raise it or perhaps even re-do the cap altogether. The angle is wrong. It doesn't allow the viewer to see the eyes of the artilleryman. I want his cheek lying directly on the horse's head about mid-way between mouth and eye.

In terms of equipment the artilleryman is wearing -

M1915 trench cap, aka, 'Gor Blimey', a strange-looking but very practical soft winter field hat
    M1902 service dress tunic and riding breeches
    M1903 haversack
    M1908 water bottle
    Blackened artillery boots with spurs

The horse is finished, I believe. At least I couldn't do better. I wanted the viewer to see the horse's ribs a bit with the entire rib cage a little up and out and slack muscles in the shoulders and thighs and not much remaining fat anywhere. Horse-owners...did I get there?

Comments and critique welcome!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      50.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      81.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      79.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      65.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      87.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      90.7 KB
      Views:
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Dan

It's coming along nicely mate. The horse looks fantastic. I agree with you that the cheek should be pressed up to the horses head and the cap does obscure the face a bit.

Keep going mate its a beauty.

Cheers
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I'm with Tony it's coming along nicely. Keep up the good work Dan.
    I'm busy with Shoveller at the moment. You should have some photo's coming your way soon.

Roger
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Tony and Roger,

Many thanks! Thanks for the photos of the Shoveller, Rog. Feel free to sand down the seams on the back of that uniform. Way too prominent! My bad!

All the best,
    Dan
  5. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Dan,
    Looks awsome. The horse is spot on from what I can see.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Mike!! Very glad to hear it! :)

All the best,
    Dan
  7. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Wow Dan! That looks great! He's really coming along. :)

I see what you're saying about not seeing the man's face. I don't know how much work it would entail, but maybe you could turn his face in the same direction as the horse's and maybe have him looking up? That, or maybe make his hat askew?
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Wendy - Many thanks for your encouragement! Matania painted the illustration of Goodbye Old Man twice with the head in different positions. The one I've chosen to do has the artilleryman laying his cheek against the horse's head. In the "pose" shown in the illustration, you can see the eyes, nose and a bit of the mouth, so what I think I need to do is get him a bit higher and his cheek turned a bit more. I've removed the cap bill and will re-do that also.

All the best,
    Dan
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    I like what you have done so far, looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers
    Roc
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Dan,
    Good so far and I like the idea.
    Cheers
    John
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Roc and John - Many thanks! I hope to get this finished over the long holiday weekend!

All the best,
    Dan
  12. eissteban Active Member

France
    good surprise

hi Dan

memorial de Chipilly (town in Somme) for the 58th Brit Division "London Division"
    i think that the subject tell you something :rolleyes:
    hope you enjoy these pictures :)

Seb.

Attached Files:

13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Seb - Excellent stuff!! Someone posted this monument on the Great War Forum, but not the views you've given me. This is a different pose of course than the one that Fortunio Matania, the illustrator, used. I think I see why the sculptor did this. Fairly simple, really. The views of the sculpture from all angles would be a bit more interesting than Matania's pose. I am sticking with Matania's pose, however in my little re-creation.

All the best,
    Dan
  14. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Dan ;) compliments .... your pogress it's good.
    Saluti MAB
  15. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Great monument !! It really makes you feel sorry for the horse!
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Maurizio and Vergilius - Many thanks!

All the best,
    Dan
  17. herbwf Member

United-States
    Dan,
    I'm having trouble writing this down so bare with me.We have a lot of great talent on this site and it is wonderful to watch these projects come to life. There are a few of you , however that add something extra to the piece. Bob Tavis comes instantly to mind. It's hard to say this without feeling like I'm detracting from the work of others, I'm not. There is an emotion that your work creates that makes one feel as if the scene is happening in real time.
    Please don't think that this was ment to throw sunshine up your kilt but damn, you do good work
    Herb
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Herb - You are entirely too kind! I would never, ever compare myself to Mr. Tavis, however. I am merely the pupil. And trust me, as many @#$% mistakes as I make, I've got loads to learn! Bob is definitely the teacher. Bob has an unequalled track record of superb projects that no one will ever touch. Strange Fruit, for me, is just in a class all by itself - that one particularly. Followed very closely by the Zoot Suit Riot - what a marvelous, inventive idea!!!

The reason I look for and try to do scenes like this one is simple. They touch my heart [and gizzard sometimes :) ]. If you like them and they move you also, I'm very gratified.

All the best,
    Dan