1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Goodbye Cobber!"

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Dan Morton, Jun 18, 2010.

1. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Congratulations on the new addition Dan.
    Carl.
  2. PHIL WALDEN Member

From one Grandpa to another congratulations...lm enjoying your Australian sculpt it can be difficult to pull of the emotion in a sculpt,while in the drawing your only seeing from one perspective and the eye takes it all in..
    Good stuff Grandpa Dan......Grampy Phil...
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Welcome to Pf Sophia Morton. It won't be long before Grandpa gets you rolling out putty for him. Congratulations Grandpa.
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Congrats Dan. BTW the new piece is excellent, and no I haven't started the Kamel reiter (life has gotten in the way), but I hope to soon.
  5. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Congrats for being a Grandpa again.
    Andy
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, This is by far your best work to date. I'm sure you knew that when you were sculpting it. ~Gary
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Carl, Phil, Tony, Matthew, Andy and Gary - thanks to everyone who congratulated me on becoming a gramps again and thanks also for your kind comments on the figure!

Had to leave little Sophia in the hands of her delighted parents in Lowell, Mass - my son Nick and daughter-in-law Abby - and come back to Omaha to go to work. My wife Pam gets to stay a few weeks and help care for everyone.

Phil - I completely agree that it is difficult to take a two dimensional drawing or illustration and try to give it a third dimension. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Can't always say why and that's something I'd like to understand a lot better. I'd be interested to hear if you've ever tried it and to know what techniques you used.

Gary - I try to make a little improvement every time. Truthfully, except in the craftsmanship, I can't tell what is my best vs. not so much. What I'm always looking for is a little story to tell in putty. Something to provoke an emotional and sometimes an intellectual response. Sometimes my lack of craftsmanship gets in the way and that's when I am tempted to fling the piece up against the nearest basement wall. :) I'm glad you think this my best!

Fyi - I think I've just about talked Tony Dawe into painting this one. :)

Dan
  8. PHIL WALDEN Member

Hi!..Dan, you ask about techinques, mate l truly dont have any,its mainly down to your emotions and what you as a person can suck from the drawing,and putting your self in the drawing.Funny but photos dont work for me in any way,painting and drawings are what gets my old brains juices flowing, reading and music help for me, heeps! play the same song over and over while working especially emotional music,perhaps it flicks the switch on as most of the time lm operating as my family say in rest mode or Noddy world..
    Done a few from pictures, but l never stick truly to the drawing its as l,ve said its what you suck from the picture and then how you see in your mind the finished piece.One small thing dont look at your drawing from one dimension try looking from another point in your minds eye....well perhaps l do have a techinque after all, the same gose for a straight forward sculpt put your self in your sculpts place,..
    Many perhaps will say what a load of bull dust phil talks but thats how it is for me, and somtime it works Dan.....phil..
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Dan,

Reading Phil's post I know that music and artists sketches are very important to getting me inspired and "in the mood" while I'm painting. When I saw "Goodbye Cobber" for the first time, I immediately thought of Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" as the song to listen to while painting it.
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice work Dan and congratulations on the latest addition to the family. :)

Roger.
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Phil, Tony and Roger!

Thanks so much for your feedback! It's a difficult process to describe, isn't it?

Roger - Welcome back to dry land! How goes it? Sophia Elena continues to thrive from all reports. :)

All the best,
    Dan
  12. eissteban Active Member

France
    Hi Dan, me too i think it's one of your best work.

Compliments !
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks Sebastien!!

All the best,
    Dan