1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Good undercoat for Yellow?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by mahross, May 18, 2005.

1. mahross New Member

Hey Guys,

I'm currentley painting MM Alpine Chaussuer from the Great War and need to paint his fanion which is in Yellow. i paint in oils but need a good undercoat because al the paints i have tried are too transparent. Any ideas?

Ross
  2. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi-
    I undercoat all colors with acrylic gouache (I use Jo Sonya brand). It comes in a similar range as as artist's oils so it's easy to get a similar shade.
    Matt
  3. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi Ross, you're probably best undercoating yellow areas in white or yellow.

If you're having a lot of trouble with transparency in your yellow oils you might need to invest in a cadmium yellow from a good brand, that should make things a lot better for you.

Einion
  4. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    I'm with Matt. I under coat all colors with the closest Jo Sonya color. Be sure to let it dry completely. That way you just need a very small amount of oil paint "on top" to blend and shade. The Jo Sonya will also help absorb the oils and promotes a nice flat finish. Jo Sonyas are labeled the same as oil paints, and produce similar results, so its fairly easy to reproduce your oil/acrylic blends. So I'd undercoat with the closest JoSonya yellow I can find.
  5. mahross New Member

Ta Guys - I'm not sure of a supplier for Jo Sonya paints n the UK. So i'll give Einions suggestion a go first.

Ross