1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Gold Lace Illustrated

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Lou Masses, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Thanks Colin.

I took more photos if you want them let me know. I settled on the 6th because of the color variations. My only point of confusion now lies in the shako and the sabretache. I've seen Shakos with a brass plate under the cockade and some with just the cockade. I've also seen many images of the 6th's sabretache showing the number six, some leaf and what looks like a halo over the 6 however I have only seen one image of the sabretache with the 6 having an eagle over it - a painting by Knotel. Was it common for officers to use the eagle and enlisted not? Do I have to convert this figure (slightly) to correct that?

Also this figure has a what is called a "breastcoat" in the description of the photo I have of the actual uniform and it also has what I think is a Dolman over it (the jacket). Now the 6th shows a red dolman and a blue pelisse, but in this case do I paint the lower "breastcoat" read and the outer jacket blue? Or "breashirt and jacket should be red?

What do you think?

Lou
  2. olly_usafsoc New Member

yes ! yes ! more photos please, i tried a similar idea to the worn leather with the old, "ROLL CALL" scotts Grey figure, but i like yours more. Thanks for the SBS :eek: :lol: :)
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Lou - I'll check Rigo when I get home. The problem is that the "gillet" or sleeveless laced vest that was worn under the dolman appears in few dress regulation summaries. I'll see what I can do.

Colin
  4. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Thanks Colin, that's what I've run into also. I have dozens of Napoleonic uniform books and to date have found nothing other than a few drawings.
  5. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Lou, what does the back of the shako look like? I have never seen the back of this figure. It almost seems to be the taller, more round shako. 1813-1815. As far as the sabretache goes, there were a lot of variations used by the Hussars. I have a lot of pics I can scan (from Rousselot's plates) and send to you. On the sabretache you talk about, the leaves were not always present. The "halo" you mention should be the a crown. I have some where, from the bottom to the top, you would see the Reg't. number, an eagle, then a crown. Like I said, let me know if you need some pics.

Hope this helps, Jim Patrick

Oh yeah, as far as the field uniform and the 6th Hussars go, yes, the vest was red.
  6. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Jim,

Thanks. I have all ofthe Rousselot plates and they all show the same sabretache. The "halo" ofver the 6 must be a crown of leaves or something, because it doesn't look like the typical napoleonic crown.

The shako does look tall on this figure, but it looks exactly as the mannequin it is based on looks. It also seems to be missing the plate on the shako.

I suppose as an officer, he would have variations to the uniform such as the pattern on his sword belt, but I would like to get this as close to accurate as possible. The last thing I want is a Napoleonic weenie with a flashlight at a show telling me that "the 6th regiment, when stationed in camp while wearing the dolman open, would not be wearing his father's swordbelt and the dress sabretache".

As far as the painting goes, the chaps are finished and I'll post pics tonight. I undercoated the entire figure and tonight should get to the oils. It's a bit tough though because I genrally paint from the top down so I have more figure to grip while working. Having done the chaps first (as it makes a mess when you lift off the excess paint), I know have an area to hold onto other than the clamp. On a 90mm figure, it makes me nervous because the weight could cause it to fall off.

The detail sculpted and cast on this kit is astonishing though. I have a feeling I'll buy another one.
  7. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Lou-

Good thread. Getting alot out of this one, too!

Keith
  8. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Lou, I'm assuming you have the english translation as well? Don't worry too much about being totally accurate. The Hussars were notorious for their disdain of uniform regulations. As far as the shako, it it is the later, I believe the "barrel" was red. If it is the earlier shako, then it should be black. The sabretache could have several variations within a paticuliar troop, much less the variotions that couls be found within a squadron. Do you by chance have "Napoleon's Line Cavalry. Recreated In Color Photographs" Europa Militaria Special #10 by S.E. Maughan ? I believe this to be out of print now. It is full of reenactors and their uniforms. These guys go to great lengths to create these uniforms (and expensive). I can scan some of the sabretaches to show you if you'd like. Several good pictures showing different ones. Let me know if you need this.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you handle this figure as I have wanted to do one for a while now.

Jim Patrick
  9. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Thanks for all of the info Jim. Between Colin and you, I'll have to put research credits on this piece!!

I have photos of the sabretache, but from different regiments. As long as I know it is possible to have the eagle and the crown for the 6th, I'll be ok. It was just to date, I hadn't seen that combination.

Tonight I attack the red Dolman!!

Much appreciated.
  10. VernM New Member

Lou, the oval over the number on the sabretache is a leaf pattern in all but one example I have seen. It appears to have bee used by both officers and enlisted men. Shako plates seemed to be an option with officers of the hussars. The vest would probably be red or scarlet and the jacket the same as the dolman. As to the collor of the bell topped shako black is probably a safe way to go, as far as the size when you see shakos in a museum side by side, the officers shakos come in all sizes. Trying to determine what is exactly correct for the napoloenic period is like declaring the exact shade of polish crimson or butternut brown.
  11. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    VERN!!!

How are you? I was hoping you would jump in here. Thanks for the info.

Lou
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
  13. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Lou, I'll go ahead and throw these images up here for all to see. Maybe it will help someone and possibly go a little firther than words as far as the many variations of sabretache's within the Hussar's.

Hope it helps, Jim patrick

By the way Lou, as you can see, you were right about the "halo". Just goes to show one (me) shouldn't speak without looking at the books first :( .

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Thanks for the pics and the links fellas. I can see that it was pretty much up to the user what was on the sabretache.

I was able to finish up some more painting tonight. The chaps are pretty much done, may need a little more black. The light is too bright so it's tough to see that they are semi glossy, but here's a pic...

[IMG]

You can see my goal was to "scuff the edges", the idea being to show the worn leather so that the natural brown underneath would show through.

Next I sarted on the Dolman. All undercoated in 3 thin layers of Jo Sonja acrylics. Phil Kessling turned me on to these paints, a bit transparent, but a few layers covers well best of all, dry dead matte with a "tooth" to them and they are very cheap. They absorb oils pretty well. This pic shows the Dolman after the application of the base color - Cadmium red deep thinned to the consistency of milk with turpentine (helps dry dead matte).

[IMG]

Now after the blending of the first coat. The shadows are Cad red deep with a touch of Cadmium Green.

[IMG]

The photo is too bright and you can't see, but there is quite a bit of contrast in the base to shadow. Although I ran out of space on my memory stick, I did the first highlights in Cad red, and the second in cad scarlet. I will post pics on Sunday or Monday (weekend's here-no time for painting ;-(). Once everything is dry, I'll touch up the highest of highlights with cad scarlet and cad orange. In most cases, I use the method of shaodwing described on another thred, but as this is a scarlet dolman....

Any questions or comments, shoot.
  15. Pete_H New Member

Lou,
    Thanks for the SbS photos of the red. Still trying to get the hang of them here - these pics will definitely help.
  16. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    The pics suck. It's too bright and I guess my camera can't handle it. Looks totally different in the round.
  17. Automata Member

United-States
    Lou,

It seems to me also that what was on the sabretache was an individual thing. Here's another photo of a 6th Hussars sabretache.

Barry
    [IMG]