1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Going with a bang"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Marijn Van Gils, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Hello guys,

this is my last finished project (about three weeks ago): a WW1 Turkish Ottoman soldier at Gallipoli, trying to shield himself in a reflex full of panic from the handgrenade that has fallen in front of him, obviously in vain...

The face is Hornet (with the eyes and eyebrows resculpted, and hair, moustache and headgear added), as are the hands (most fingers from the left had are redone though). The ammopouches are modified Verlinden items, and the rest is scratch. The handgrenade comes from Verlinden and the gun is a converted Tamiya item.

Any comments and/or criticisms are very welcome!

Best wishes,

Marijn

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Marijn. (y)
  3. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marijn,

I have to agree this is really a nice figure. I am very glad to see and I bet others are as well, that you have jumped into the figures! I really enjoy your dioramas but I have to admit I like your figures better, they are like mini dio's themselves. thanks for sharing.

All the best,

Joe
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great Work Marijn,

I like it very much.
    How far are you with the copper basket braidery. (vlechten)
    I hope to see that one to.
    Now they ar all curious here on the planet. :lol:

Marc.
  5. John Long Active Member

United-States
    You have a real knack for creating emotion with your scenes Marijn. Excellent job.
  6. Milorg Member

Norway
    Hello Marijn

Fantastic!
    great subject and story, lots of action even as a stand alone figure.

Just keep these little jewels coming!

Cheers

Per Olav

ps, I think I know your plan with the copper basket :)
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marijn, FANTASTIC FIGURE!~Gary
  8. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Great piece.
  9. Dani A. New Member

Hola,

GREAT storytelling. Excellent body-language.

A very fine work!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dani
  10. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I don't know how long you have benn at it, but your pieces easily equal the likes of Horan, Cohen, Blank, the Cannone Brother, etc.
  11. mahross New Member

Marijn - Very. Nice not a subject you see every day. What were your references for it? The pose is superb. Your can really tell he is trying to stop the grenade.

Ross
  12. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Marijin-

Very nice, indeed. I really enjoy seeing your work. Keep it up!

Keith
  13. bosko b Member

Interesting choice of subject!

I like how you have made the face stand out, and how the arm that draws ones attention to the grenade. Very artistic :)

Another thing that I have noticed is the matching tonality of the uniform and the base (same case with the Snake bite figure). Was that done on propose to make the emotions/faces stand out more?

Regards,

Luka

P.S.: Why is the grenade so deep in the ground? I do not know anything about grenades, but would expect one to bounce around a rocky terrain like that.
  14. m@rp Active Member

Belgium
    Hi Marijn,

Your figure's face is very representative of a turkish soldier.
    You made an excellent work (the same comments are for your previous WW1 vignette and your GI in vietnam war)

When do you find the time for sleeping? :lol: (as seen the rythm of your production!!!)

Hé Marijn keep up the good work!!! ;)

A compatriot !

Pascal (Belgium)

Visit my personal website
  15. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great subject and as several have already said, very nice "story-telling"! As well as a well-crafted figure and base!

all the best,
    Dan
  16. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Marijin,

what an excellent figure.

And the bodylanguage is so good that I think I could touch the feelings of your soldier! Very impressive!

I`m looking forward to seeing your next figures.

All the best,
    Markus
  17. D.Lesko Member

I think one of the most impressive things in this hobby is when a story can be told by a single figure. Anyone looking at this figure can plainly see the feelings and emotions portrayed in the bodylanguage and facial expression. Very well done. I really enjoy looking at your work. Thank you for sharing with us.
  18. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Marijn , another great piece. It's a pity we won't see your work live in Boston

Stephen Mallia
  19. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Beautiful work. Love the face - great expression!
  20. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent piece!!!

Taesung