1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Gods Children 1:35 scale scratchbuilt vignette

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Roy, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hello guys...I haven't had the chance to post anything new for some time but here is a small scratch built piece in 1:35 scale that I have had on my mind for years and over the last few weeks I've spent a few late evenings after work getting this sculpted. I think it works out at about 60 hours or so.
    The groundwork that you can see in the pic is supported by a little more that is not evident on the base below, although it is still very tightly composed and fits on a 2" square base, I will post a few more pictures when that area is complete.

The vignette depicts 2 children in war-torn Cambodia of 1973, although, unfortunately it could be almost anywhere that conflict has touched our planet.

Please feel free to post your comments or critique as you see fit. Any response is welcome.

Here is a work in progress and shows the preliminary poses and the facial details complete.

[IMG]

The following view shows the sculpting finished.

[IMG]

Here you can see the interaction between the figures from the rear.

[IMG]

And here's one for the purists who like to see the actual putty....

[IMG]

Thanks for taking a look....Roy.
  2. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    Amazin' work! These little guys have so much movement, very impressive.

I have a lot of respect for you sculptors, I really would like to learn this art.
  3. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Masterpiece! Amazing work, Roy.

Best regards
    Artur
  4. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Amazing. Nothing more to say. This shows really the victims of war.

Ulrich
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Arthur said it - he used the M word. And it is appropriately applied. Roy - you've totally outdone yourself. IMHO, somehow the small scale and the fact that your subject is terrified children makes the scene even more effective. Do you know what I mean?

The scene itself wrenches my heart right out of my chest.

All the best,
    Dan
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Roy,
    Amazing sculpting. Reminds me of my younger years when i saw the journal on TV. They had also from this atrocious film's. I feeld sorry for these warchild's. They couldn't help it but where the victims.
    Great work, what alot of story in it.

marc
  7. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Roy, This vignette is as an evocotive piece as any I have ever seen. You've truly captured the horror and heartbreak of war. I think it is a masterpiece. Wish I could paint it.

John
  8. diosytexas Member

England
    hi roy. a sad subject done well. dave.
  9. Hardy Guest

Roy, sublime work mate. The emotion you have captured really tugs on the heart. Hardy
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, FANTASTIC! In addition to the horror of war there are also lighter moments. I hope to see more of both being done in the future. Hopefully comments will be continued to be directed at the piece itself, and not lead us down the path to where different opinions and feelings end up coming to blows.~Gary
  11. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Roy,

I´m speechless... That is really hard stuff and excellent sculpted !!!

Take care,
    Markus
  12. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks to everyone for their replies..I realise we all see things in a slightly different light and for some it will be a challenge just to look at, as the subject will trigger different memories or feelings in all of us.
    I really appreciate your comments here in the forum and also those members that have preferred to comment by e-mail on such a delicate subject.

Thanks again for your very thoughtful replies, they are all very valuable, and can only help to shape any future projects.

Roy.
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic work Roy. You have really captured the emotion. I hope this will be available commercially from you?
  14. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    very gripping
  15. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Wow! So real it almost looks ike a photo. Well done, Roy.
  16. GARD9 Member

United-States
    God's children vignette.

What a great piece! Roy, you are a blessing to us all.
    This is awesome and powerfully emotive.
    I truly love it.
    G9
  17. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Boy oh boy...or shouldI say Roy oh Roy :) Man , that is one hell of a piece. You managed to capture the right feeling and transmit it back to us. Well done buddy, definately one of your best.

Stephen Mallia
  18. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    GREAT JOB on the sculpt, Roy :eek: !!!!!!!! A truly evocative piece that you've managed to pull off very convincingly. WELL DONE !!!!!!
    Kenneth ;).
  19. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Bad boy?

Well, I certainly did not intend to offend anybody here? Sadly, wars always leave innocent victims in their wake. Roy has done an excellent job of reminding us of that simple truth. He has also done an excellent job of modeling it.

All good art should make us think and this piece certainly qualifies. Very poignant. That's Art with a capital A.......!

Thanks Roy!!

Mike
  20. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks again everyone for some enthusiastic replies..

Guy, I didn't have production in mind for this little piece..but as I'm in no rush to paint it yet, I'll give it some thought.

Mike..thanks for saying my stuff is art, that means a whole lot, it really does.

Thanks again...Roy.