1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Goblin from RP Models

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to everyone ,

RP models are a company from Portugal that we have all seen develop a great relationship with the modelling community by listening to comments , growing in reputation for their products , with every new release showing their dedication to quality and customer service

They do of course use the latest in 3D sculpting and have again used this method on the release I shall be sharing with you.

Before we do however its my pleasure to announce the fact that they now have a You Tube presence ( ) where you can find all the latest in the inspirational videos of the products including this release.

What are we looking at in this review :

Goblin_FrontView.jpg Goblin.png

Having never met a goblin ( although perhaps my ex wife might qualify LOL !!! ) , the modeller can go to town on this piece without the restrictions of a uniform , allowing total freedom of expression.

The internet describes a goblin as a legendary evil or mischievous grotesque dwarf-like demon or monster that appeared in European stories and accounts during the Middle Ages. They have various (sometimes conflicting) abilities, temperaments and appearances depending on the story and country of origin.

I think the best way I can describe the character is evil and sometimes very full mischief !!!
    1a.jpg
    1aaa.jpg 1aa.jpg 1.jpg
    The subject has appeared in many films including Harry Potter and the 2010 film called Goblin so there's a good excuse to watch a film ...for reference !!!

Details of the release:

Title: Goblin

Series: Fantasy

Reference: RPM-B-14-0001

Scale: 100mm

No of pieces: 12

Material: Resin ( gray and clear)

Sculpting: 3D

Casting: YS

As with the releases from RP we have seen the goblin came in a strong box with very distinctive artwork ( done by computer ) RP Goblin 001.jpg , on opening the box , due to the scale size there seems to be a lot of space but only that this size box is what RP chose to use for all their busts.

One thing I would like to mention was that I had a an all gray resin casting but on the remaining castings for the bust you will get a crystal clear glass bottle that he holds ( obviously the hand will also be this) , the 75mm figure will be all gray resin.

A total of 12 ( not 17 as on the box details) parts were held in clear plastic bags and consisted of the following , the main torso , the hood , the head , 2 arms and 2 hands , 4 pouches , the belt end , no base is included.
    RP Goblin 002.jpg RP Goblin 004.jpg

Prep needed was simplicity itself , a little bit of sanding and snipping to remove small casting remnants , fit of all the parts is exemplary with them remaining in place without any glue needed as I was dry fitting them for the review.

As I was carrying out the minimal prep the thing that kept leaping out was the great texture of the clothing itself and the ingenious way the face has been produced .

There has on this forum been much comment about 3D well let me say this when cast it certainly translates into resin with excellent results matching the 3D pictures .

Hugo (RP's founder and owner)originally told us about the release here:

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/goblin.73427/watch-confirm

Hugo has chosen to depict the goblin in a monk type garment , have a look at the video folks , certainly a sinister atmosphere there and this is shown in the sculpt , the clothing has superb texture and repays careful painting ( I have this piece on my bench in front of me and its looking sinister ...even as a WIP!!!) .

The clothing has as I said great texture ( this is something that 3D can achieve as we have seen in previous releases) , together with rips and tears at various points !!, you can see these and the very fine weave of the material in the pictures.

The torso has the area for the hood and the arms ready to be fitted , perfect locating areas are seen with the parts fitting with ease , I did when fitting the hood run a tiny bit of filler at the join , just me not really essential.

Around the waist we have the belt with various points to locate the many bags and attachments all fitting cleanly.

RP Goblin 003.jpg RP Goblin 007.jpg

RP Goblin 005.jpg RP Goblin 006.jpg RP Goblin 009.jpg RP Goblin 010.jpg

On now to the 2nd largest piece the hood , this intrigued me to be honest when I heard about the prelease ...how were we to paint the face ....in such a closed in area ...fear not dear modeller ...Hugo has thought of us by casting the face separately ( more later ) , the hood again shows the great texture and fit is good the pose is with it slightly leaning over ...very scary , with the locating area doe the face being well engineered inside RP Goblin 011.jpg

Thankfully (for me at least) the ears have been cast into the hood itself , these are well formed and worked ...pointy and well.....goblin like!!!!

Around the leading edge we have some nice decoration with both the torso and hood showing the seams , all these will paint up beautifully adding more interest to the piece.

RP Goblin 015.jpg RP Goblin 012.jpg RP Goblin 013.jpg RP Goblin 014.jpg

Continued in next post:

Nap
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    On now to the remaining pieces :

Beginning with that Head:

I say head but actually due to the clever casting of the hood itself we are treated to what I can only described as a mask of a goblin and boy is he ugly , WOW!!! this guy is evil , from the great wrinkles and the eyes that are well done allowing access to the full eye for ease of painting , pointed and bulbous nose with a set of pointed teeth the gums surrounding these are shown , almost like a great white in full attack!! .

Oh and don't forget the spots he has through his various experiments and working in a damp and moulding atmosphere of the castle laboratory ...perhaps he was experimenting on some luckless elves !!!

This is a painters piece for sure remember the lights when you paint as when fitted into place a lot of the upper forehead will be in shadow with the nose peeking out ......packed full of character ..you just got to love him .....I reckon its the tops !!!

RP Goblin 018.jpg RP Goblin 016.jpg RP Goblin 019.jpg
    RP Goblin 017.jpg

Now to the arms:

Both show the same texture in keeping with the rest of the clothing , great folds and movement in both , the material looks and sits as it should ...nice one Hugo ...at the cuffs we have deep ( perhaps leather ) bands , nice details in the ties , the cuffs are hollowed out with skill ready to receive the hands.

Fit into the Torso is under the shoulder cape and is spot on with positioning being excellent on both , the left is straight down with the right being angled and bent at the elbow

RP Goblin 020.jpg RP Goblin 021.jpg RP Goblin 022.jpg
    RP Goblin 023.jpg

Now to the hands :

These are wonderfully worked the left gripping tightly a scroll of parchment , the fingers are wrapped round tightly the hand being in a fingerless glove ( matching the cuffs in leather maybe ) , the fingers are pointy and thin with nice work on the finger nails , sharp and lethal!!.
    RP Goblin 027.jpg RP Goblin 026.jpg RP Goblin 025.jpg
    The right holds a potion bottle , a secret mix that he has concocted in his laboratory .......looking for the next " assistant" to try it out on !!! ...the challenge here will be painting the liquid swirling about in the receptacle.
    RP Goblin 029.jpg RP Goblin 030.jpg RP Goblin 028.jpg
    As I said this is on my bench so I will be doing something a little different with my bottle ( WIP pics will be posted ...hopefully!!)

Fit of both hands is again as expected 1st class , when in position adding some interesting details again .

On now to the remaining pieces:

The belt end RP Goblin 036.jpg , this needed no glue in the dry fitting , excellent texture on the belt itself with nice details on the buckle and I like the way its wrapped round near the buckle, hanging very naturally as well when in position.

The remaining pouches include a long thin bag RP Goblin 032.jpg ( perhaps with "medical" implements in it ) , nice details again on the buckles and starp , fit is again clean and tight ...good option is to personalise the bag perhaps with his name ...Dr Festus Heemegoblin ( guess what I am using as my title ... LOL )

The next being a "purse" RP Goblin 035.jpg full of his evil financial gains ...its bulging so he must have a few coins in it or maybe they are faeries wishes !

My favourite 2 next , on his belt we see a book of spells held safely in a holder , nice details on the book edges .....might add a padlock to mine !!!
    RP Goblin 033.jpg RP Goblin 034.jpg
    The next is a holder that has some exquisite test tube tubes of lethel liquids , each with a rather nifty little cork in it , again we see nice details as always.
    RP Goblin 031.jpg

Final Thoughts

This is a new area for RP and they have chosen a sinister piece , packed full of character and textures, a painters piece , full of details and with very carefully thought out manufacture , fun to build and well engineered ( especially like the way the face has been done)

A very interesting and a challenge to paint ( believe me buts its an enjoyable one)

Highly recommended even for those who would not normally do fantasy ( like me) , a FUN piece packed full of enjoyment and if painting a bust is not your thing there will also be a 75mm figure being released at the same time.

For more details :

RP now have a website at :www.rpmodels.pt

Or contact RP via message here on PF

or e mail : sales@rpmodels.pt

or on FB : www.facebook.com/RPmodels

Thanks for looking in ...enjoy your modelling

Nap
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Interesting bust Nap, I do like the textures on the cloak and the face is very good (not that I've seen one in real life) Thats a maybe for me.
    great review.
    Hugo Pereira and napoleonpeart like this.
  4. swralph A Fixture

Great review Nap.(y)
    Hugo Pereira likes this.
  5. Dekiman Well-Known Member

Face is superbly (and the rest of the bust) sculpted and painted.
    He look very mean and evil.
    I never saw a goblin myself but that how we imagine them.
    Maybe little more green on the face
    Hugo Pereira likes this.
  6. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Love it, fab review and wonderful piece. Congratulations RPmodels, another fabulous release.
    napoleonpeart and Hugo Pereira like this.
  7. Hugo Pereira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello my GOOD FRIEND...

Congratulations... Excellent review...

Sometimes a felt very worried... I saw many 3D prints, and you can see many layers on... I have affraid that people can thing, the 3D is a bad production...

With this review I feel a complete different feeling... With this review you can see all details on, the textures of the clothes, the face expression, the anatomy... So this review dont give any space to doubts or another kind of things....

I want develop and build a company with Credits and Good Name... My name and person are in the all place, so I dont want people can think that Im a fake and non-professional person and I have bad behaviour. In my profissional life I dont do this, so in RPmodels, I will mantain the same behaviour... And another thing... RPmodels isnt just Hugo and the people that work with me... RPmodels is every one that share, advice, give us photos, tips and another ways of help... RPmodels are all of you... So Ive a big responsability in my shoulders, and I want everyone that belong to RPmodels, have proud to belong to this project...

Its important to say, the 3D dont appear to 'kill' normal sculpture... This is a mistake... The 3D and the 'normal' sculpture live together... In teh next year, I already two british companies that want to develop a project with RPmodels... And they will do a 'normal' sculpture and I will do some 3D pieces... has you can see, this ways live together, and one isnt better than the other... There are space to built and develop better models... And we can give to our friends and customers good figures, with excellent details... This is just my opinion... Nothing else...

Thank you for everthing...

Lets see the Goblin Paint...

With best regards
    Hugo Pereira
  8. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    great review . this is on my list and i believe it just got bumped up few places . i think all the different textures with stitching and such would be a good challenge for a newbie . please post yours when you can .
    Hugo Pereira likes this.
  9. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    sorry just saw the above post.
    Hugo Pereira likes this.
  10. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Lucky enough to see the "master or test shot" on SK's stand at the last Euro. Looked great. Looking forward to seeing the production version.

Nap is this a limited run as with previous RP figures?

Peter.
    Hugo Pereira likes this.
  11. MrBMB A Fixture

I find it strange to have no feet at all, also given where the belt is it seems strange
    Just my thoughts, but I do like the face
    Hugo Pereira likes this.
  12. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Thanks for another great review Kev, this is a lovely piece full of malicious character and I can't wait to see all sorts of paint jobs on him. What I like best is the magnificent engineering, especially the hood/face assembly (y)(y)(y).
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Rich Sculpts and Hugo Pereira like this.
  13. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

I saw the test piece for this model and I have to say it is awe inspiring - the texture on the material/cape, hood etc is superb and will be very satisfactory when completed. It is a great fantasy subject and I am sure will be very popular.
    Hugo Pereira likes this.
  14. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    They are now setting standards that conventional sculptors will find hard to follow in the future, sad day but that's progress for you :cry:

Nevertheless - I'll still be pushing the clay around for my own satisfaction;)

ohh - sorry nice sculpt!

-Rich
    Scotty, napoleonpeart and garyhiggins like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Rich,

Thanks. For the post , there will always be a big place for conventional sculptors thankfully , 3D has opened up a new world of possibilitys.

Keep that putty and clay moving round the bench mate!

Nap
    garyhiggins and Rich Sculpts like this.
  16. Hugo Pereira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello Mr. Rich...

I think in the future there are space to everyone... We will 3S sculptures, we have traditional sculptures abd we have the combine of both. The details of both different... But they can live together, in my opinion of course...

I think we have to continue to do the things that give us pleasure, and allow us relax and enjoy the work. The life is difficult and some times, unfair. We have to enjoy every moments... And my friend this is the best of life...

Once again my special thanks to you.

With best regards
    Hugo
  17. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hugo it is always a pleasure see superb work and this is simply the best I've seen from 3D sculpting to date!

Your right - what ever the process lets make the most of it.

-Rich
    napoleonpeart likes this.