1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Gnome Jaweler from Smok Sculptures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by The Norwegian, Jan 28, 2020.

1. The Norwegian Well-Known Member

Norway
    Hello

I want to share with you all an nice bust from Smok Sculptures, and their Gnom Bust
    Its called Gnome Jeweler and imagines and Gnome looking on and quite big rubin or diamon
    or what you prefer it is. From the look on the Gnomes face, i dont think its an ordinary rock

I really liked the expression on this Gnoms face, it has a lot of character and you can almost sense the feeling he has when looking up on this stunning"stone". The most challenging part on painting this bust is probaly his eyes, because of his posing its natural to look have the first look on this area of the bust.

However, the sculptor has done an stunning job creating the face and eyes on this bust, and its just up to the painters imagenation on how to paint the character on his eyes.. they could be reddish after too many hours looking on this diamon/rubin, or very clear because of the shock of the beauty of this jewel stone. You decide, the result will be how you want it to be.

Some facts of Gnomes:

The word comes from Renaissance Latin gnomus, which first appears in the Ex Libro de Nymphis, Sylvanis, Pygmaeis, Salamandris et Gigantibus, etc by Paracelsus, published posthumously in Nysa in 1566 (and again in the Johannes Huser edition of 1589–1591 from an autograph by Paracelsus).
    The term may be an original invention of Paracelsus, possibly deriving the term from Latin gēnomos (itself representing a Greek γη-νομος, literally "earth-dweller"). In this case, the omission of the ē is, as theOxford English Dictionary calls it, a blunder. Paracelsus uses Gnomi as a synonym of Pygmæi and classifies them as earth elementals. He describes them as two spans high, very reluctant to interact with humans, and able to move through solid earth as easily as humans move through air. The chthonic, or earth-dwelling, spirit has precedents in numerous ancient and medieval mythologies, often guarding mines and precious underground treasures, notably in the Germanic dwarfs and the Greek Chalybes, Telechines or Dactyls.

The Bust

Casted in grey resin with some clear parts. there are alomst no clean up, just and minor casting line wich are very easy to remove.

This bust comes in cardbord box and are packed in an safe way with foam chips between the parts there are smal chances to break the parts in transport.

The torso and arm holding the stone are not in an plastic bag, but the smaler parts, like the stone, pipe and magnification glases are sealed in an plastic bag.

The sculping is very neat, and the level of details is some of the best their is, you have many hours of painting and showing all the gorgeous details of this bust through your brush.

Pictures:

IMG_3741.jpg

The packing of the bust with and picture of the unpainted bust of the Gnome, Notice, this is an limited edition and you get and numbered bust with your bust.

IMG_3742.jpg

The content of the cardboardbox. As you can see, its all safe delivered with foamchips protecting the parts. the clear parts are in an smaler plastig bag.

IMG_3743.jpg

Here are all the content in casted in grey resin, the torso, arm and the maler parts in and plastic bag.
    Notice, the casting hole on the chin is not and error. its an location hole in order to place the pipe. And neat touch.
    IMG_3744.jpg

The content of the smaller parts. And neat touch with the double up of the stone and magnifier glasses casted in clear and grey resin. You can decide on wich way you will paint it. And if you are unlucky to drop an part down to the carpet monster, you always has another go with the other part.

IMG_3745.jpg

Close up of the the torso and head.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Certainly looks a good casting and I like the focus on his wide opened eyes ....he has got his life's riches I think

Great face with the clothing looking very sharp on the laces/ ties

A nice touch with the clear resin as well

If you didn't want the pipe a quick bit of putty will easily sort the small hole

What's the scale ...1/10th ?

Hope we see your painted version as well

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    The Norwegian likes this.
  3. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Really nice figure (and review) to tempt folks away from their usual fare (I know I am)(y)
    Cheers
    Paul
    The Norwegian and Nap like this.
  4. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice review, this is such a fun model full of charm and character. I'm sure it wold be so much fun to paint and offer so many chances to experiment.

Gary
    The Norwegian likes this.