1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Gladiator

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sergey Popovichenko, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Sergey Popovichenko A Fixture

Ukraine
    Greetings to all.
    Coming from the new Soldiers of Fortune (75mm, metal) in my paintings. The figure is painted for the box art. Acrylic painting Andrea, Homa.
    Includes two versions of the assembly.

Attached Files:

GARRY, sarouman, John Bowery and 7 others like this.
  2. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    the painting job is very nice, but the position of the fig is very unusual, weird...
  3. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    well this is an pose where you would have no chance to counter react on loose sand without first struggling for an secure stance first.....maybe its thoughtfull as the very very last endposition in an stab
    but it looks quite contrived and unnatural for my taste.....the manicas-armdefences look not too convincing too but well lets stop such details here.the overall effect is unnatural.
    hope nobody is offended its only an oppinion
    cheers
  4. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    I am sure the painting is top notch. But the camera is a little unkind to the finish of the flesh, both in terms of glossiness and richness in tone variation. Maybe a little retouch photography-wise can enhance the potential of commercial success. Just an opinion.
  5. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Granted, the stance is a bit unusual, but I think I like it. It's, obviously, not the usual static pose. I prefer the helmeted version & the sword rather than the spear. It's really unique.
  6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very very nice :) Pose and anatomy and musculature are spot on (y) and a breath of fresh air from the static poses!
  7. milten2004 Active Member

United-States
    This one is called Provocator, in the variant with spear and helm. Pose is unusual but I like it.
    Gladiators in the "normal" pose became boring to me.
  8. Harry New Member

Netherlands
    No, he's not. Provocatores were totally different. He's a Hoplomachus if you follow the Junkelmann classification - or a variant of the Thraex if you follow the Battaglia classification.
  9. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Agreed I like it too - some thing different from the genre.:cool:
  10. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent

Now I'm no expert in Gladitorial stances because I never went to the actual "games" but I like him a lot. What an exceptional sculpt. Captured well in a striking pose. Well done.
    Meehan34 and housecarl like this.
  11. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Beautifully done...IMO, the glossiness is exactly what a fellow in a life or death struggle would produce from his sweat glands in that particular situation. The glossiness may hide some graduations in flesh tones...I like the pose; sort of Kung Fuish actually, to my eye.
    Well done...can't wait until the new season of Spartacus starts anew now.
  12. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Irrespective of any actual or perceived 'stance' issues, I really like the sense of movement with this one.

I will be getting one as soon as it becomes available and as others have comented, it's a nice change from static pose figures.

Gary
    housecarl likes this.
  13. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    I really like the action pose and the painting is excellent. It is very nice to see more action pose figures than the norm static pose. excellent work in your painting.
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great action sculpted in this figure.
    Painting is top. I like it.

marc
  15. Ferris A Fixture

Nice figgie.
    The unusual pose, to me at least, emphasizes this is just a 3D still from live fighting action. If you look at photographs of fighting men (always men) most of them show weirdish stances actually. They just happen so fast that we do not recognize them as correct. The glossy skin is OK as well IMO, as next to sweating a lot, many gladiators were covered in oil during a fight. All in all, I think want one..!

Very cool painting by the way! I would be very interested to learn about your technique for the bronze!!?

Cheers,
    Adrian
  16. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I second Adrian.....that bronze is awesome.
  17. Sergey Popovichenko A Fixture

Ukraine
    Thanks to everyone who wrote reviews. I am glad that you liked the painting.

Ferris, Gellso, I painted bronze as follows. At first painted a base color of bronze. Then polished cotton swab manually. Then brown, and black-brown glaze caused smooth shadows. Again polished.Small parts decoration on the shield, helmet and greaves shed black and brown paint. Then, a mixture of bronze and brass color glaze and dry brush lightening struck and provided relief decorations. Again polished smooth surfaces.By the end of the lightest color of brass brighten once more needed space. Again polished cotton swab.

Sorry for my bad English.
  18. Sergey Popovichenko A Fixture

Ukraine
    I forgot to write that applied the acrylic paint Homa made in Ukraine, but I think that the use of technology is not new and is applicable to any acrylic paints.
  19. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Nicely done and thanks for the bronze formula.
    Cheers
    John
  20. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    This stance is a change from the "look how straight I can stand pose".
    I think it makes a refreshing change, that and the standard of the painting.
    I have to agree the metals are excellent,
    Carl.