1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Gladiator" - Young Miniatures New Release

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Guy, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
  2. ldom77 Member

France
    nice but its very similar to their first gladiator release no ?
    captnenglish likes this.
  3. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Not totally sure about this one. It is nicely done but does not have the usual oomph
  4. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    not sure either about this,although i like the armour :cautious:

Brian
  5. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Yawn.... surely there are other untapped subjects for such a talented sculptor. Coupled with the most recent uninspiring offerings from Andrea, these are truly the dog days of summer.
  6. lbfactory Well-Known Member

France
    Great bust but take spartan body and LRDG head had some details and you ve Got it
    Just a little joke
    Regards
    Laurent
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Like the face, and the rest is very well done.(y)
    The body looks very much like the Spartan's.
    I'm sure it will prove popular, as there isn't many gladiators on the market.;)
    Carl.
  8. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Exactly what I am about to say
    captnenglish likes this.
  9. Tarracus A Fixture

yes.. and it's also the same head of Hastings norman knight:cautious:
  10. phc35 Well-Known Member

United-States
    He must be from the House of Batiatus. They are the only Romans I've ever seen smiling in the arena
    megroot likes this.
  11. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Jeez, you guys are as hard and ruthless as the crowds in the Roman arena.

OK so maybe the Gladiator bust has been done better and perhaps the face and body do bear a strong resemblance to some of Young's other busts, but that's his style. Young's sculpting style is distinctive, which means you can spot one of his busts as easily as you can spot one of Carl Reid's.

Perhaps this bust wont be remembered as one of his all-time classics, but for every failure he usually comes back with a great success.

I can't wait to see what he brings out next - should be a beauty.
  13. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    I think I like it. Maybe the face expression is not the best for a warrior who fights for his life any time he goes to the arena. He is definitely a hollywood style gladiator. I try to explain his face expression to myself and maybe he just spotted his women on the stands? For sure it is not a smile after winning the battle.
    On my shelf it will sit with a face covered. Still a big plus for choosing a subject to YM.
  14. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Where have I seen that face before?????? Could it be that this is a range of "Highlander" busts depicting Connor MacLeod's journey through history...."There can be only one".