1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Gladiator - Secutor - WIP 1

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Hi there,

Bad, bad, bad practice, but before finishing my german tanker I wanted to get going on this excellent 54mm gladiator from Evolution. I think the pose and detailing are very well done and as far as my references allow me to check, the figure is historically accurate. I will add some lacing below the arm cover for 3D effect (and accuracy).

I started painting with the metal parts, and I did them by polishing the bare metal, coating them with Tamiya clear yellow (2 or 3 coats; brass parts only) and afterwards staining them with burnt umber oil paint. I still need to define some sharp shadows after the stain has dried. I'll let this dry for a few weeks, which sounds like a terrible test of patience, during the week I have limited time to paint anyway (and I have that tanker to finish...:)).

I am still unsure whether or not to apply a gloss coat to the helmet? What do you think?

The loin cloth will be a faded greenish color, possibly with a red stripe, the arm and leg padding will be dirty white. I'll try to give him plenty of body hair and (the almost compulsory) blood stains and wound. Enough to do!

I appreciate any comments or tips!

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

ralpht and michelangelo like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very nice metals Adrian. 54mm?
    Carl.
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Yup, 54mm Carl.

Adrian
  4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Adrian,

nice work on the metals(y)
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great metalwork.

marc
  6. el cid New Member

Canada
    Hi Adrian. I Like the approach with the metals and you seem to have the figure well planned out of how it will look. Looking forward to its progress. I'd leave the helmet as it is- looks good to me from your photos.
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Steve. After years of meddling with ill-planned projects I try to think ahead.
    Thanks for the feedback on gloss-coating the helmet!

Cheers,
    Adrian