1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Giving a try part 3

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by pmfs, Mar 15, 2014.

1. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi folks!

Time for hobby is less every month, work and Krav magá occupy almost all my free time. Anyway I still try to find time here and there to paint.(y)
    I show you an advance on the minuteman, as you see, I sculpted the vest and now I will sand some parts to define what I want to the figure.
    Next step will be the coat. Let´s see what happen!

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. swralph A Fixture

Looking good to me(y)
    pmfs likes this.
  3. Braemp Active Member

looks great, wath scale is it?

Regars /lars
    pmfs likes this.
  4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    swralph and lars thanks for the comments.
    The scale is 75mm.

Cheers
  5. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pedro somehow missed this, a nice start for your first figure and looking forward to following mate.

Cheers Ken
    pmfs likes this.
  6. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Thank you Ken!

cheers
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Looking good so far.
    Keith
    pmfs likes this.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Looking good! The buttons need to be made a standard size and shape so they look more like....uh...buttons.

If you want to use lead sheet to make buttons uniform shapes and sizes, a leather punch should be useful. This is a device that looks like pliers or wire cutters but it has a rotary head with different sizes of holes in conical punches on the head. You should be able to find them easily enough in a leather working shop, or a shoe makers or even on the internet.

If you want to use putty to make buttons (that's what I do), again a good quality metal punch set is needed. I bought mine cheaply from Amazon and they're pretty easy to find. They come in lots of sizes and you want one that does the smaller size of punches. The metal punch set comes with a thicker metal sheet with various sizes of holes. Projecting from the punch set metal bit are two columns. On to the metal columns you place the thinner clear plastic duplicate of the metal punch sheet. The plastic bit slides up and down. The third and last part of the punch set are metal solid tubes that insert into the various sizes of holes.

Roll a uniformly thin sheet of 2-part putty (MagicSculpt or Kneadatite or something like that) using an acrylic roller and a flat surface. An acrylic roller should also be available from art stores like Dick Blick or other places online. Cut a small section of putty that will fit on the metal punch. Put the small sheet of putty between the metal and the clear plastic and then insert a punch of the correct size. Result - a uniformly thin "biscuit" of putty which if you've gotten the size right can be used as a button.

Good luck!

All the best,
    Dan
    Wings5797 and pmfs like this.
  9. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Keith and Dan, tanks folks!
    Dan, thanks for the tips!

Pedro
  10. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great tips Dan.
    Tucked them into my back pocket if that's OK
    Thanks for posting
    Keith
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Glad to hear my post was helpful.

I seem to remember a past posting that dealt with making buttons and other uniform devices in more detail and provided other methods. The two I listed are the only one's I've tried. Of course I only work in 1/16th, so other methods might work a lot better for other scales.

All the best,
    Dan
    pmfs and Wings5797 like this.