1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Giacomino Bellammare

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Calvin, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Calvin Member

Aside historical exactitude and aesthetic, there is another factor, the (self) irony. Life is too tragic to take it seriously, and this is my contribution.

As well the nose, there are a lot a topicals about italians, and most known are surely spaghetti and mafia.

In Italy, the first is taken with easy, like in the cult movie "Un Americano a Roma" (1954), with Alberto Sordi.

[IMG]

The second is a little more 'problematic', as demonstrates the impact of the famous cover of an issue of the Der Spiegel magazine on 1977, a P38 over a plate of spaghetti, when Italy was just at the centre of the storm of the fight against internal terrorism (Brigate Rosse, Ordine Nuovo, etc.).

A beautiful movie with a connection to the mafia theme in an ironical manner is "Johnny Stecchino" (1991) by Roberto Benigni, a comedy of mistaken identity between Dante, a bus driver, and Johnny Stecchino (Toothpick), a mafioso.

[IMG]

Mine is just inspired by some hollywood movies, where all ends with a gunfight into an italian restaurant. Here he comes, Giacomino Bellammare, the chef of the Mamma Mia restaurant...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Calvin Member

more pics...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Hands and foots comes from the recycle box, the head is a modified one from a Pegaso set, while the tommy gun is an old piece by Airfix, a bit modified.

[IMG]
  3. fsdesimone Member

LOL - very interested to see how this develops.
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Luca, this is going to be an interesting subject matter, but I don't think the majority of Italians have hooked noses.
    The Mafia is a very small negative part in Italian society, unfortunately it has been stereotyped to that effect.
    We must not forget that Italy is the cradle of civilization. ;)

by the way I've seen the movie Johnny Steckino andit is really funny :lol: :lol:

Ciao
    Roc.
  5. Calvin Member

Right, but you must admit there is a little out of scale trend... :lol:

There is another one, less known and a little more obscure, "Daunbailo'" (Down by Law), here some links:
    http://www.mediafilm.it/daunbailo/
    http://it.movies.yahoo.com/4/5/26055.html

About mafia, there is a scene in Johnny Stecchino where Dante, just arrived in Palermo, really scared, ask to the taxi driver about the 'famous' problem of Sicilia. The taxi driver, while driving and with an imperturbable calmness reply "yes, traffic kills"...

Try to see (and hear) the original version, the dubbed one lose all its appeal.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Luca,

Johnny is coming to live out of your hands Luca. I am looking forward to your next step. I really was enjoying Sais.

marc.
  7. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Luca,

that looks very promising. :eek:

I keep close to your next steps.

Sunny regards,
    Markus
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Ciao Luca, you are right, the trend does seem to go that way just a little bit. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting the fantastic links, I really appreciate it, I love seeing old Italian movies, I saw la dolce vita 5 times.

Continua con il buon lavoro, stai sviluppando in un bravissimo scultore. ;)

Ciao
    Roc.
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I don't know anything about the movies or Italian noses, but the figure is too cool, Luca! Is he going to be striding out of the kitchen clutching the tommy?

You absolutely nailed the trousers. The folds and creases and the way they fit on the figure are perfect. The hanky half out of the back pocket - :lol:

Is that going to be a "wife-beater" t-shirt on his pot belly? Terrific! Just a suggestion - let the a little roll of the belly ooze a little out of the bottom part of the t-shirt! :lol:

All the best,
    Dan
  10. Calvin Member

A very little update, but time is never enough...

[IMG]

[IMG]

BTW, thanks to Markus and Miss Margret from the SPIEGEL-Verlag I got the famous Spiegel cover about Mafia & Spaghetti.

[IMG]
  11. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Amazing sculpt Calvin tremendus work, it´s incredible how can you do this with some putty :eek:

regards

ER
  12. Calvin Member

Thanks Ernesto, anyway is a very simple subject and I'm still learning.

A ver si en un futuro proximo consigo sacar algo que guste a los dos para que tu me lo pintes, antes de que te hagas demasiado famoso... ;) Ya me gustaria a mi llegar a esculpir asi como tu pintas.
    Gracias, Luca
  13. fsdesimone Member

Hah! I love it Luca... can't wait to see more.

Ciao,
    Francesca
  14. Calvin Member

Grazie Francesca, but there are something which does not persuade me, dont know if the hat (too small) or some fold (with a wrong crease). Also some items seems too thick.
    Anyway, this is the figure at the current stage.

[IMG]

[IMG]