1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"GI! GI! You Buy!" Vietnam 1967

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Jungle James O'Leary, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Jungle James O'Leary PlanetFigure Supporter

Here is the second piece for my "Shopping in Long Thanh" diorama and vignette series, the first being my "Buying Baguettes and Banh Mi" diorama that I posted last month.

This vignette depicts a Soldier from 3d Platoon, B Company, 2d Battalion, 47th Infantry (Mechanized), 9th Infantry Division negotiating the price of pineapple on a stick with the Vietnamese girl selling them. While the majority of the platoon had taken a short halt at the village of Long Thanh on their way back to Camp Bearcat to buy some souvenirs and for 1LT Brice Barnes to buy some baguettes, a few guys had to remain with the platoon's M113s, or tracks as they called them. The Soldiers who remained with the tracks were approached by entrepreneurial youngsters selling pineapple of a stick, cold Cokes, watches, sunglasses, hand held mirrors and small trinkets. This particular Soldier was approached by the girl selling pineapple treats.

The GI is a conversion of a Bravo 6 figure with a Hornet head and new right arm. The Vietnamese girl is from Paracel Miniatures. The "wedgie" of the M113 was made from a portion of the right side of the hull that had been cut out of an Italeri M113 kit. The rail to the side skirt which had been removed is from AFV club. The tracks are from ModelKasten. The bundle of empty sandbags strapped to the top was made from Magic Sculpt textured with grid pattern on the tightening knob on my hobby knife. The strap is made from lead foil.

Everything was painted with acrylics. This vignette is 1/35 scale.

20230128_203002.jpg 20230128_202931.jpg 20230128_202900.jpg 20230128_202840.jpg 20230128_202820.jpg 20230128_202757.jpg 20230128_202731.jpg 20230128_202710.jpg 20230128_202647.jpg 20230128_202624.jpg 20230128_202549.jpg 20230128_202525.jpg 20230128_202458.jpg

Thanks for looking.
    Cheers,
    James
  2. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Excellent work

Mobo
    Jungle James O'Leary likes this.
  3. Robert Jan de Wit PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Great work again. Nice subject and again great storytelling in compliance with your other vignettes.
    I really like the way you use shade and contrast. That makes it a very graphic and recognizable style of paint and layout.

greets,
    RJ
  4. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Your attention to detail in both story telling & scenic elements is inspiring James. Really enjoy learning these little stories clearly & carefully told in miniature.

Especially liking detail on young GI, uniform looks lived in & cute little girl with her pineapple sticks is a special character we rarely see in modelling.
    Thanks for sharing.

Do you have photos to help as reference or are these from anecdotes shared down?

MikeTheKiwi
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi James

Catching up here , a great piece of story telling , love the basework and the character you achieve on the figures , fine painting

WHY NOT ENTER something into the class of your choice in the NEW Bimonthly comp ending 28/02/23 here: :)(y)

Standard

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...ompetition-ends-midnight-bst-28-02-23.519019/

Intermediate

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...ompetition-ends-midnight-bst-28-02-23.519021/

Advanced

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...ompetition-ends-midnight-bst-28-02-23.519022/

DON'T FORGET TO ALSO VOTE .....links in the comp forum

**In Vignettes & Diorama #4 VOTING has BEEN EXTENDED TILL 28/02 to allow for more members to do so**

There's also the Vignette & Diorama #5 comp

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...mpetition-5-end-midnight-bst-31-12-23.519129/

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  6. Jungle James O'Leary PlanetFigure Supporter

Thank you for the comments. I find these more peaceful scenes more fun to make.

Cheers,
    James
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  7. Jungle James O'Leary PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks, Mike.

I am glad that you enjoy seeing my work.

The stories that these dioramas and vignettes tell are mostly from stories my Vietnam Veteran friends or my dad, who was also a Vietnam Vet, have told me. My dad had taken thousands of 35mm slides while he was in Vietnam and several of my friends have changed many of their photos to digital photos, so those are helpful references. I also try to match up their stories with my own experiences in Central and South America, Iraq, and Afghanistan so I can think back about the atmosphere and try to convey the interpersonal interaction between figures in a natural looking manner.

Cheers,
    James
    Nap and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  8. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Sounds like whole process is therapeutic for you James.
    We are blessed to have you sharing these gentle slices of life on active duty rather than more martial scenes we see.
    I can relate to you also channeling of your own service as well.
    Please keep helping us learn a little more about this history.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Nap and Jungle James O'Leary like this.
  9. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Classic work, James, excellent!
  10. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Great creation James! Well done. :)

Cheers
    Ken