1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Gi France 1944 - Warriors - 1/16

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Jul 31, 2012.

1. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Really beginning to come together
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Adrian Hi, I like the dust on the pants.
    Following.

Pedro.
  3. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Adrian,
    already looking very good, nice face and green on the shirt, following with interest! ;)
    Denes
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent progress.
    What did you use for the weathering Adrian?
    Cheers,
    Carl.(y)
  5. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks for leaving a comment Ken (love your avatar), Pedro, Denes and Carl!

Carl the weathering was mainly done with Vallejo German camouflage beige 821 mixed with burnt umber. First mix was rather dark, so more burnt umber and very thin. Over this I applied progressively lighter mixes, roughly following the underlying lights and shadows to get some depth. At first it looks like crap, but after a couple of lighter passes the effect starts to build up. Hope this helps.

Adrian
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks a lot Adrian, I'll give it a go.
    Carl.(y)
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Some progress on personal equipment. Also did some further work on the pants.
    Sorry for the quick & dirty pics, was in no mood to set up the proper camera...

Adrian

IMGP7111.JPG IMGP7113.JPG IMGP7114.JPG IMGP7117.JPG
  8. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Lovely work Adrian,love your style and great flesh also (y) Like the added weathering,gives it a gritty combat look :)

Carlos
  9. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    same here Adrian, I wish to do a weathering like these.

Pedro.
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Carlos and Pedro, thanks for leaving a comment.
    Yeah, guys tend to collect some dust when strolling around the front. Glad you like the dirty look!

Pedro, the weathering is not hard to do. A little earlier in the post I described my approach. After painting the pants (base, highlights, shades), you go over this with a base, highlight and shadow dust colour (relatively thin mixture). Because you know where the highlights and shades are, it is a kind of painting by numbers...

Cheers,
    Adrian
  11. Ferris A Fixture

Haven't been very active at the bench and PF over the last few weeks, but now there's some progress on this one: Helmet, personal equipment refinements, backpack.

Hope to get this done over the next few weeks.

Cheers,
    Adrian

DSC_1301.JPG DSC_1303.JPG DSC_1305.JPG DSC_1306.JPG
  12. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Superb work Adrian!

Very nice indeed.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  13. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Jeff!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  14. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Really nice Adrian.
    The flesh looks great and the amount of depth you have given to the figure with your painting looks fantastic and very original.
    Cracking work.
  15. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks very much Grant! Glad you like it.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  16. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Very reallistic. Great work.

When gaiters are done please share the mixes for trousers and gaiters.

Thanks
  17. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Adrian, man, this is a helluva figure. Jaume was right that you have a very distinctive style, and a damn good one at that, sir. Can't wait to see his one complete.
  18. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    100% WITH JAUMME is excellent paint1!!!

Alexandros
  19. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Adrian,

Excellent work you're doing in this figure! I admire the guys that paint this large scale figures, cause I think that you've to really work the large surface in order to avoid a dull figure...
    Great work, like it a lot!!
    I like particularly the face ;)

Best regards
    Pedro
  20. Ferris A Fixture

Paulo, thanks. Not sure yet about the gaiters, but the mix for the pants is as follows (acrylics):

Base: 873 us field drab + 941 burnt umber (2:1 mix)
    Highlights: 873, 873+988 khaki, 873+819 iraqi sand
    Shadows: 941, 941+822, deepest shadows add a bit of black

The gaiters will be based on 988 khaki I think. Will post the mix when they are done.

Thanks a lot Steve for your comment! I like the idea of having a style. It's funny, style. You keep messing about in all sorts of different ways, and things always come out in a similar way. Then we call that style. :) Well whatever. What I like most is that skills and style keep evolving with every figure. I try to do something new or in a different manner with every figure.
    I'll stop rambling now. Glad you like the figure, thanks!

Hi Alexandros, thanks for your comment!

Hi Pedro, thanks a lot for your comment. I like the big figures, even though there is more surface to paint. Some things are easier however I think: the details are simply bigger than on a 54mm! Everything has its pros and cons I guess.

Thanks guys!
    Adrian
    Braemp likes this.