1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique GI BAR Gunner - Alpine Miniatures - 1/16

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, May 5, 2013.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Hello All,

Finally I am back at painting! I've moved from Europe to Singapore and because of this I did not have an opportunity to paint over the last four months.... that sucked and was really bad for practice and production! Last weekend I have finally set up my new cave.:)

To celebrate I bought the Alpine 1/16 BAR Gunner in the local hobby shop and started at it right away ('blitzing' around the grey army). What a delight to build this figure. Fit is amazing.
    I was wondering if the paints had survived the move, as the movers mentioned temperatures in the containers can reach up to 75 deg C, but everything was fine, and progress was rapidly made.
    Here's some pictures of the face which is about 95% done. Just need to do the lips, eye brows and some colour accents here and there.

Figure is just base-coated, with some initial shading of the nooks and crannies.
    Last pic is the new workbench. Small, but that forces me to keep it tidy! :rolleyes:

Hope to keep the pace on this one now...

Cheers to all,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent work on the face.
    Glad your move went well, and hope you've settled in OK.
    Carl.(y)
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Adrian,
    You are off to a flying start again, looking forward to the next updates. If past pieces are anything to go by then this is going to be a good one......so no pressure then:D
    cheers
    Richie
  4. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks like a very well detailed figure Adrian ,glad to see you got your priorities right, AKA worrying about the paints :)
    Look forward to your input from the new location

Ron
  5. Vaux Well-Known Member

Spain
    Well to start this very well.
    The face has a good job and I hope to see more progress!

Juanma
  6. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Adrian, I'm glad the move to Singapore went well. I hope the new man-cave has good air-conditioning to escape the humidity up there!
    I always liked this Alpine figure, so I'm watching this one with interest. He's off to a brilliant start so far.
    Cheers
  7. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Adrian, Great start to your B.A.R infantryman. The face looks terrific so far. Best of luck with it, and also, to your new home, I know how frustrating moves can be. Regards, SG:)(y)(y)
  8. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That's some awesome brushwork, this dogface has loads of character already (y)!! Funny, I just got this barman this week from Red Lancers, so I'll be following your posts and pics closely.

Joe
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    Europe to Singapore sounds like a bloody good swap to me, cracking start Adrian
    Steve
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Really nice Adrian...you have proved that it's like riding a bike....once learnt never forgotten. I like the face shades and the inclusion of non-browns. Very realistic. Don't spit on any sidewalks over there!

Colin
  11. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    looks good mate.

Gells
  12. David Hernanz Active Member

Spain
    Amazing start Adrian !!! Very nice work in the face.
    I look forward to more progress!

David
  13. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Great start Adrian, face looks wonderful. Hope you're enjoying the new digs, bro.
  14. Ray Mootsey Active Member

United-States
    Looking Good, great work, I really like your olive drab choice. Ray
  15. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Great work !

Welcome to Singapore :) Hope you catch you at the local hobby shop, i frequent M workshop myself.
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Carl, always the quick responder! Thanks!

Hi Richie, thanks! No pressure felt! Well almost none then...

Hi Ron, thank you! Yes, my paints were a prime concern. Haven't found a Vallejo dealer here yet, so glad they survived.

Hi Juanma, thanks a lot! Am following your paratrooper as well. Please get on with it!

Hi Nick, thanks. So far no issue with the humidity yet, keeps the paint from drying on my brush it seems. I do use the fan and aircon otherwise my optivisor slides from my sweaty head... Sounds a bit gross, but that's what happens. Good luck with your version!
  17. Ferris A Fixture

Hi SG, thanks. Yes, enough packing, moving and unpacking for now!

Hi Joe, thanks. Coincidence indeed. Good luck with yours!

Hi Steve, thanks! Happy with the swap so far!

Hi Colin, thank you. I used some blueish grey in the mix for an unshaved look. Glad you like it. Actually I am not too happy about the brownish finish, but I'll keep it as it is anyway. Different mixes next time! Thanks for the spitting tip, would cost a fortune I guess!

Hey Gells, thanks!

Hi David, thanks a lot!

Hi Stephen, thanks. New digs are seriously enjoyed!

Hi Ray, thanks! The jacket base colour is a 50:50 mix of Vallejo 988 Khaki with 986 Deck Tan. It shades nicely with greens. Same mix as my previous GI, see my vBench for more.

Hi Rompy! A special thanks! Yes, know the MWorkshop already, hope to meet there sometime. You can always drop me a PM.

Thanks for commenting on and liking my post guys.

Adrian
    David Hernanz likes this.
  18. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Nice start!!!
  19. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Very Nice Start. Lots of character.