WIP Critique GI BAR Gunner - Alpine Miniatures - 1/16 - next step

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Hi!

Here's a quick update of the figure I am currently working on, Alpine's
    excellent B.A.R. gunner in 1/16 scale. I think I'm almost done with the
    top half of it. Just need to do buttons, clasps, etc. Right arm has not
    been fixed yet.

Bit lousy pictures, but did not want to get the proper setup out... :-P

If you see anything that needs fixing... let me know!

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

Wings5797, gothicgeek, Rompy and 21 others like this.
  2. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great work so far Adrian :happy:
  3. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Seems really great Adrian!! The face is great for what I can tell!!
    Keep on ;)

Regards
    Pedro
  4. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    i mean is a excellent paintwork
  5. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Stunning work so far Adrian. Makes me want to dig mine out of the grey army.

- Steve
  6. artur_koszewski Active Member

Poland
    Hi Adrian,

I admire your skills - like a lot smooth colors blending on the uniform as well as choose of colors for it. If I see good there is also a grainy texture painted on the scarf - a great idea which add a life to the figure.

In my opinion the one thing you should think about for the future projects is the set of colors used for skin tones. I know that the pictures do not necessarily show the colors exactly as the look on the real figure, but based on the attached photos I think the guy is a bit too much tanned. His uniform suggest that he operates during late autumn or even winter, so I think his skin should be more pale and painted with so called cold colors.
    I thing it's a good idea to have 3 sets of paints for skin tones - one set for depicting skin during the late spring and early autumn season (generic colors set), another for tanned skin during the summer season (warm colors set) and one for skin we can see during the winter season (cold colors set).
    There is a good tutorial about painting faces which describes different skin tones palettes on the "Chest of Colors" forum - http://chestofcolors.com/how-to-paint-faces/

I wish to accentuate again, that my judge base just on what I see on the attached photos.

All the best,
    Artur
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    How is that for timing, I recently got my hands on one of these and plan to work on him soon, so I'll follow closely. I like the weather beaten face, the colors, and the way you have finished them thus far. They look spot on! No doubt this guy will be top notch when completed. Hope mine comes out half as good.

Joe
  8. Ferris A Fixture

@Monty1st: thanks you!

@Pedro: Thanks man. Glad you like him and his face. I posted a better view of the face in my previous vBench entry.

@Fabrizio: thank you very much!

@Steve: Thanks a lot. Glad to inspire. Fit of the figure is excellent, it falls together. You'll be painting in no time.

@Artur: Thanks a lot as well. I see what you mean about the face. Colours in the pics are not really as in real life, but it indeed is a rather warm face. To be honest, I am not at the level yet where I can fully determine beforehand how things work out. Still working on the basic skills of smooth blending etc. Actually, on my next figure I was just planning to use a much cooler set of skin tones, as an experiment. It's Alpine's panzer crewman and he should be cold. I will try a more pinkish/grey colour set on it, thanks for the link that suggests this!

@Joe: How about that!? It's a sign Joe! Dig him out, snap him together and get to the brushes. It's such a nice figure, you'll love it!

Cheers all,
    Adrian
  9. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
  10. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking awesome, Adrian! The whole figure is painted beautifully so far, and the textures on his wool gloves and scarf look very realistic.
    Cheers
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I really like the at you have started painting this,it should be a cracking piece once youv'e finished it,superb :)
  12. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great so far!
  13. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Like it alot! The texture on the scarf is really nice.
    Great work-
    Scott
  14. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Nice painting so far Adrian, looks a cracking figure.
    Cheers Les
  15. Mariobusta Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    lovely paint job so far.
  16. Blunderbus Active Member

United-States
    Beautiful paintwork sir. This figure is on my to do list.
  17. Ferris A Fixture

@Ken: Thanks!

@Nick: Thanks a lot. The scarf has some texture molded in, bit I stipled the paint to give it a bit more. Glad you spotted it...

@Brian: Thanks!

@Taesung: Thanks. And you'll like it even more that the next one is also from Alpine!

@Scott: Thanks, glad you like the scarf!

@Les: Thank you!

@Mario: Thanks a lot!

@Blunderbus: Thanks for your kind comment!

Thanks for your comments and likes guys.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    T50 likes this.
  18. Steve Ski Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beauty Adrian, I like this one buddy!

Cheers, Ski.
  19. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Smooth blending :) Lovely gloves !
  20. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Ski: Thanks man!