1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Getting to grips with painting a face

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Graham, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    First ever face? If so Graham, I think you have the makings of an excellent painter. The contrasts on the beard look a tad stark, but the blending on the flesh of the face looks very good indeed.

- Steve
  2. Graham A Fixture

England
    Noooooo, I didn't bring anything to FW but next year.........

Lot of work to do on this yet, I have put it to one side while I learn some techniques. The beard certainly has a long way to go lol.

Thanks for the supportive comments guys, it really is appreciated.
  3. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    One idea I find helpful, is to study the great portrait painters of the past. Obviously you're not going to paint like Rembrandt or Hals or Velasquez, but you might find some inspiring ideas regarding shading highlighting etc.:).
    Best wishes, Gary.
    tonydawe, Graham and Scotty like this.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Graham,

As Nap suggested, one of the techniques that will help you avoid the "zombie eye" phenomenon is to paint a thin line of black/ burnt umber along the underside of the eye lid to create a clear line separating the white of the iris and the flesh colour of the eyelid. Similar to women applying mascara, this thin black line helps to make the eyeball stand out and it also helps to close the shape of the eye to a more almond shape, rather than round.

I would also support the application of a very thin line along the bottom half of the eyeball from the inside corner of the eye to the middle of the eyeball. You can then apply a thin wash of red, as Nap suggests to soften the black line and create a slightly bloodshot effect.

My best advice is to look closely at your own eyes in the mirror and observe other people's eyes in different types of light to see how they look and the different ways they reflect and refract light.
  5. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Mate, theres a lot of good stuff going on there. It's been said already but you have the right attitude. I also am learning and have been trying new things. Some have worked and some have not. I know it's not the instant results we all want but it's all practice and learning. Kee up the good work. Looking foward to more progress and future projects
  6. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good to me Graham (y)

Like you, I am still in the learning phase. I was trying to learn a little bit of everything (oils, acrylics, airbrushing, faces in acrylics, faces in oils etc.) and then I realised that I wasn't really taking anything in so I've decided to slow things down a lot. I'm concentrating on painting with oils at the minute and it feels like I'm finally "getting it" and, even though my work is still a bit ropey, I feel like things are progressing. The point I'm trying to make, I think, is not to expect great things straight away, progression is the key.

FWIW, if this were my work, I would be mighty proud with what I'd achieved here. Nice smooth blends, the eyes look good and they're both pointing in the same direction. This would be progress for me :)

Cheers,
    Billy :)
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hey Billy, that's some very good advice mate. It took me 15 years to get comfortable using oils and then I swapped to acrylics, and its taken 10 years to get comfortable with those. Patience is a much undervalued commodity in this hobby. I agree that you want to see steady progression - each figure is an improvement on the one before. Practicing your techniques and developing your skills takes time and sometimes you can feel like progress is slow to come, and other times you can feel like you're going backwards. Patience and persistence pay off in the end.
  8. Graham A Fixture

England
    All great advice guys, many thanks :)