1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Getting to first base...

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by daredevil, Dec 21, 2004.

1. daredevil New Member

Now that I have your attention, :lol: , I got some great tips via an earlier post I put up asking about where to get bases. I checked S & T out for the short term--now I'm a little confused as how to visulize the right size for the figure (i.e. how do you determine if the top has enough room for the figure and ground work (please don't laugh--I seem to be a little challenged when it comes to 'spatial visualization!

What size base should I get for a 64mm figure (Soldier's "Knight of the Holy Grail") if I want to include a little ground work under the feet and perhaps a piece of crumbled wall in the background?

What size base should I be looking at for 54mm figures if I want to put groundwork around them (modest of course)?

I guess the bottom line might be how much extra room do I add for groundwork without overwhelming the figure?

--linda :(
  2. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Linda
    In answer to your question about ground work, how much.
    I use the figures base as a base (pun unintentional)
    and build up on it.

This then gives me the size of wooden base to purchase.
    Andea miniatures recomend a suitable base on their packaging
    for the figure purchased.

Hope this is of some help

Happy Xmas Frank
  3. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Getting to first base is the hardest part of the game!

It's hard to give a hard and fast rule, as the size of the base will vary depending on the figure's pose (e.g., a figure simply standing at attention may use a smaller base than a figure in an extreme running position).

In my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes many modelers make (figure painters and armor guys alike) is choosing a base that is too big. Your best bet is to study photos of figures you admire and make a mental note of the size of the bases. Again, I think you'll find that smaller is generally better, and remember that you can always "sculpt" the groundwork over the edge of the base for more visual interest (which is common among European modelers).
  4. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Linda,

Don't know if this will help or not, but most of my 54mm figures are on 1 1/2" square bases - not overpowering (with such a small area it forces me to be restrained in my groundwork details) but it gives room for a sense of environment, keeps most of the projecting details of the figure (weapons, fragile bayonets, pointing fingers, etc.) that could be inadvertently knocked off within the "frame" of the base, and gives the figure just enough "room to breathe", for my taste at least.

Some great effects are also possible by keeping the footprint of the base smaller and then "building vertical", raising the figure off the flat plane of the base on a hill or some other feature - my favourite example of this is Calvin Tan's US tanker figure standing on a "tall" pile of empty ammo crates - the base was very narrow compared to the height, but that focussed attention on the figure very effectively.

Hope this helps,

Brian
  5. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Linda,

I'm like you, I can't visualize it unless I can actually see it, soooo...

Try placing your figure on a piece of paper and then roughly sketching your proposed layout of groundwork elements around it. It's even easier to visualize if you put your actual large groundwork pieces (ex. wall sections, fountains, signposts, etc.) on the paper too, or use crude mock-ups of the same size made from cardboard or whatever's handy. That way, you can actually "see" your scene before you build it.

More useless advice from,

Brian
  6. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Another bit of advice: Create, assemble, and attach the groundwork and accessories to your base BEFORE you paint the figure. That way you minimize handling the painted figure and mucking up a great paint job.
  7. daredevil New Member

Thanks for the tips, guys!
    Brian--DUH! I never thought of DRAWING the dio out first--and I'm an artist fer cryin' out loud! But my forte has always been pen & ink drawing, painting--not three dimentional stuff--hard for me to think that way. But I suppose I'll get the hang of it.
    I have three days off this weekend, so I plan to put some of this input to good use!
    --linda
  8. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    I'm with Brian - plot it out in 3-d on paper. Also, less is more. You do not want a base that detracts from or dwarfs the figure, nor is too much empty space good. The base that comes with the figure is a good rough guide as to size.

Happy Painting!