1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Getting it wrong and getting it right

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ronaldo, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Ronaldo A Fixture

Two different ways I have set this figure up the first I think is wrong and the second looks better and imparts more movement > your thoughts on this will be appreciated .
    know there is a smudge on the left leg that needs attention .

fullsizeoutput_93e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_93d.jpeg
    For me the second looks better
    blaster, Martin64, DEL and 4 others like this.
  2. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Agreed Ron, the second pose definitely looks more dynamic & the smaller base sets it up nicely.
  3. Alexandre Active Member

Belgium
  4. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Absolutely right IMO - The second looks much better. the smaller base with the horse slightly overhanging implies movement into and from the space beyond the base and setting the figure at a diagonal rather than parallel to the long edge does the same (Great looking figure by the way) (y)
    Paul
    blaster likes this.
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I think your piece benefits from the lighter color of the second base, too. To my eye, the darker color of the first one seems to make the colors a little duller. The lighter color sets it off.

Prost!
    Brad
    blaster and DaddyO like this.
  6. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    First of all I think the paintwork looks great. Second, I like the larger base "if" you could knock off some of the front of the figure base to move the overall piece more towards center for more balance. I see no implication of movement on the lighter base, unless he just got done jumping over a ravine. The only thing I like about the smaller base is the contrasting nameplate. Sorry, I've always been a bit different.

Wayne
    blaster likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ron

No matter what vase your works on its great to see

My thoughts as a mere bust painter only ......the 2nd looks and works better with the lighter base , the darker base seems to merge into figure

Thanks for sharing and asking thoughts

Happy benchtime

Nap
    theBaron likes this.
  8. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Either works well Ron. My personal preference is towards the first one.
    The only thing that doesn't work for me is in both cases too much of the horses ass hangs over.
    For me it creates an imbalance in both.
    Great looking piece, no question (y)
    blaster likes this.
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    I'm inclined to the darker larger one too, the figure looks too "perched" on the smaller one.
    Steve
  10. Ronaldo A Fixture

Thanks for the input Steve. I suppose I could extend the groundwork front and back running off the base. One things for sure I have no intention of taking him off the base as I was lucky to get away with it first time round which involved ahalf inch chisel ,hammer and a bit of luck to shock him loose:rolleyes:
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    The mistake you're making Ron is taking the model off the base when logically you should be taking the base off the model :woot:
    blaster, Helm and Blind Pew like this.
  12. Ronaldo A Fixture

Oh! didn't realise you were into Yin and Yang :rolleyes:
  13. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sorry.
    I'm about to muddy the waters. The first base looks tailor made. The second one looks like the base was an afterthought. I know this because for donkey's years, bases for me were an afterthought. Both overhang the base a little bit. I only hope that won't be a problem as that can lead to an obvious damage risk.
    Either way, its a lovely conundrum to have as this is a superb example of a mounted Napoleonic. I hope it's a kit as I really do fancy it.
    DaddyO and blaster like this.
  14. Ronaldo A Fixture

The first is tailor made and comes with the kit which is by Pegaso . My concept for the second base was to impart or suggest movement by coming on to the base and to move off as if passing through , everyone will have a different view of this is perhaps it works or maybe not ,but the idea of this thread was
    to get different thoughts and views of setting up a mounted figure . Thanks for the valued input.

Ron

Ps nobody has mentioned it yet but the nameplate was made for the first base and is the wrong shape for second one
    Nap and Blind Pew like this.
  15. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It certainly has prompted thought and conversation. As you say, no real one correct answer sometimes, as it's all about opinion and taste etc.
    As I say, I spent years of my modelling career completing a figure and then saying, "Oh dear, I've finished something, I'd better find a bit of timber to glue it to." I've gone the opposite way now and don't start a figure unless I know I can base it well.

I can't believe I've missed this Pegaso release either...
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  16. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Great looking painted figure! Pros and cons for either bases. I am a practical guy. These metal figures weigh a bit besides the cost. They need a solid base for centre of gravity. My experience is that when you start to run out of space, the figures tend to be placed closer together, risking damage to overhangs, especially delicate tails...
    Rgds Victor
  17. Ronaldo A Fixture

You are so right there Victor , overhanging parts beyond the base can be a problem ; esp in transport and competitions where due care is not taken by other modellers when placing figures on the comp table .
    At Herzog von Bayern show in Ingolstadt they had a good way of dealing with the problem by allocating your exhibit a zoned off space of 300mm ,something other shows could benefit from if we ever get back to that stage.
    Nap likes this.
  18. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    I agree with Victor, I think the other issue from my perspective is that the second one looks a bit out of balance with the centre of gravity rather to the right on a tall base.

Regards
    Chris
  19. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    My two penn'orth....I rather like the oval bases that quite a few of the Russian guys use for 54mm mounted figures.

Alan
  20. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Well it's great work
    But if you speak about speed ...
    Your figure is running from right to left, we european read from left to right, so you slow down the impression of mouvement and our look stay longer on the piece
    If it was running from left to right we will have and greater impression of speed but our look will continue to the right
    In a theater if an actor is entering quickly from the left ( as seen by the viewer ), it add greatly to the impression of speed . If entering from the right at the same speed, the impression is slowed down .
    blaster likes this.