1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Germanic Warrior

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Shane, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Shane Active Member

Hey Folks,

Been trying to get serious about my sculpting again after a lengthy absence due to family health issues. I'm hoping that posting here will keep me motivated.

This is a bust of a Germanic tribesman from somewhere between 1AD and the 7th or 8th centuries. I'll determine a more specific time frame once I chose a fibula for his upcoming cloak.

I thought about making him into a late Roman, but I've already spent too much time on the anatomy to cover it up with a tunic.

Eventually he will be holding a spear in his right arm.

I wanted to create my take on what the typical warrior looked like, his austere appearance without armor will do that I think.

Because of the bust's simplicity I needed the face to have visual impact.

On his head is a leather cap based on the one worn by the Tollund Man.

It seems likely to me that this simple cap might have been commonly used across many centuries. It could be that this man represent an Anglo-Saxon, Frank or nearly any Germanic group.

29A0396D-29D6-4B48-8FB6-7D7863B5593D-2331-0000020E7A596DDD.JPG
    Airkid, Nap, Dr Bison and 7 others like this.
  2. Airkid A Fixture

England
    A whole lot of character in that face Shane. Far from the usual "generic" faces that seem to be popular nowadays. Nice work(y)

Phil
    Nap likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Shane

Great to see you posting and hope things are better

As Phil says a face full of character ...lots of attitude as well IMO

Good background info on the sculpt

Following with interest

Did a google Tollund Man ....?incredibke ....well worth a look at

Happy benchtime

Nap