WIP German Stormtrooper - WWI - 90mm Andrea Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by CondeJulian, Apr 28, 2018.

1. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Hey guys,

This is my latest WIP, a 90mm Metal Figure from Andrea miniatures, German Stormtrooper WWI.

It's a commission work for a good friend and business. It will fly over half the world after done.

photo 14.jpg

I primed the figure after cleaning with Tamiya Fine Grey Primer (Spray Can) which is a good solution for metal. I don't like white metal as a medium, the chance of getting the paint off with a mistake is a pain. Nothing on the modellers market is a great solution as metal primers go. Basf has a industrial product but it's almost biohazard and HAZMAT will show up at your door. This Tamiya is a great primer, and as good as it gets to hold on to metal.

photo 28.jpg

Now, some painting, did the helmet using a base coat of Vallejo's Metal Colors to show up after chipping :

photo 26.jpg

Now, done after a few steps :)

photo 25.jpg

And did some wood on the shovel and rifle, now will wait for them to dry...

photo 24.jpg

photo 27.jpg

More to come...
    Best
    Julian
  2. Mariobusta Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Nice start . Always liked this figure but never got it because I much prefer resin .look forward to more progress

Neil
    CondeJulian and gforceman like this.
  3. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Dan Morton and CondeJulian like this.
  4. Fokionas Active Member

Greece
    I have this figure on my bench for quite a while ......I hope your threa willgive me inspiration.
    Fokion
    CondeJulian likes this.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I have done this figure a few years ago, and i really like it nowdays.
    The work on the helmet is beautifull as is the chipped paint.
    The pain in this figure is the glass into the gasmask.

Marc
    CondeJulian likes this.
  6. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Thanks guys, Yes, metal figures are a pain. I always give second thoughts on buying them, must be a desirable piece for sure.

Marc, yes, the glass is going to be a pain, they should have come pre-cut to help a little. Good thing they send 4 pieces, so you have a margin for error. I will tint it a little maybe with thinned smoke color, just to give a "old look".

Now I have finished the gas mask can. I have drilled it with a dremmel to give the correct depth, and also thinned the walls for better looks. It burns like hell to hold it while drilling lol, but it was worth it.

Here it is so far :

photo 29.jpg

Later on will address the water cans and pliers.

Good sunday !

Julian
    Nap, Paul Kernan, Perseas and 2 others like this.
  7. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    I watch the progress of this with interest.
    CondeJulian likes this.
  8. Phater Active Member

United-States
    Looking very good. Watch the gas mask lenses. The frame design on them rubs off very easily.
    Tom
    CondeJulian likes this.
  9. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Thanks Tom ! Yes, they are the real challenge here. Thanks for the heads up!

Julian
  10. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Finished the water cans...did a subtle different filter one from another, to give it some life...

photo 31.jpg
    Nap and Perseas like this.
  11. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A very realistic finish on the equipment, looking forward to seeing how you approach the uniform.
    TERRY
    CondeJulian likes this.
  12. Steve Brodie Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking very good
  13. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Thanks guys ! I should get to the uniform later this week...
  14. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Finished the gas mask bag. Did a very subtle fabric texture simulation. Most of this bag is covered by the Rifle and Canteens but it deserves some attention :)

photo 31 copy.jpg

photo 32.jpg

photo 33.jpg
  15. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Now the wire cutter. Really liked the wood grain on the handle. Tried acrylic this time for that...

photo 312.jpg
    Nap, Paul Kernan and Perseas like this.
  16. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Now finished the rifle... The wood grain came out nice. On the photo, because my bench has a warm light, the tone is reddish (too excessive), but to the naked eye is not that much. I will take pro photos after completion, so later on...

Just to show the progress :)

photo 31 copy 2.jpg

photo 32 copy.jpg
    pokrad, Nap, R Dominick and 2 others like this.
  17. Perseas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Magnificent work Julian, realistic result and excellent SBS!
    Congratulations!!!
    CondeJulian likes this.
  18. Steve Brodie Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Not just Metal figures, i noticed the smallest 'speck' of paint had come of the tip of my kamikaze nose , now repaired and all sealed in with matt varnish. Only spotted it when i zoomed into a photo i had taken !!
  19. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Yup, but metal figures are a true magnet for nicks and chips. I find Vallejo Primer for plastic and resin a very reliable base coat as protection goes. Can’t remember failing on me with those mediums. But metal primers have a long way to go to really “grip” the model.
  20. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Finished the Shovel now. Next (tomorrow) will decide if begin the uniform or the flesh tones...

photo 31 2.jpg
    Nap, santi fernandez and Dan Morton like this.