1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed German Stormtrooper WW1

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gary Edmundson, May 28, 2023.

1. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    After quite a delay I've finally made a start on Young Miniatures German Stormtrooper WW1. Some preliminary work on the face to show as I've tried to get the eyes to look right. Also airbrushed the body and accessories in flat black, followed by some base coats for the coat, grenade pouches and folded tent section on the backpack.

I had an idea of how to do the metal frame inside the gas mask lenses - using a round decal for the middle, then brush painting in the radiating lines.
    Cheers,
    Gary

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Very nice work. Really like your style of painting.

Steve
    Gary Edmundson likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Gary

Good to see you painting and sharing and a great bust

Fine start , I like the gas mask lens works well , really nicely done eyework as well

Looking forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  4. NigelR A Fixture

That's looking really good so far Gary.
  5. SUPER ANTO Well-Known Member

Spain
    Very nice..... More updates, please..... :) :)
  6. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Gary of to a great start and moving along nicely, I have had the same bust knocking around the bench for a couple of months now just doing a bit when I can, I have come to a slight pause having to put some thought into what action to take regarding when to attach the chin strap the the chin/head and chin strap and head to the helmet before priming and then of coarse keeping easy access for painting in mind so I will be watching this with interest.
    TERRY
  7. marco14 PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium
    absolute very nice paintwork I love this one ,those eyes and lips are so nice,wish I could do that
    but fantastic work already
    Mario
  8. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Very impressive work.
    Rick
  9. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    Thanks everyone for your kind comments!
    Yes, Terry - that is also a concern of mine. I ran into issues when doing a previous bust of the Somme German, and this time I trimmed the chinstrap and test fitted it before painting, so hopefully I won't have too many problems when it comes to that step! This is the Somme 1916 bust I did a couple of years ago....

[IMG]
    Blind Pew, Martin64, Dr Bison and 2 others like this.
  10. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Great finish, Gary!
  11. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's a very nice German Gary.
    TERRY
  12. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work so far..
  13. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    Some progress today on the helmet. After applying the different coloured patches and painting dark grey lines between them, I daubed on some earth-coloured pastel chalk powder mixed with mineral spirits. Since the paint was acrylic, there was no interference using the solvent. Once dry, the pastel coating was scrubbed down with a large paintbrush, and then I dry-brushed the details and edges with silver enamel that was toned down with a touch of raw umber oil paint. Cheers!

[IMG]
    Vallejo acrylics for the basic colours

[IMG]
    Earth-coloured pastel chalk powder applied with mineral spirits (still wet here)

[IMG]
    Once dried off, brushed down with an dry large paint brush

[IMG]
    Details highlighted with a drybrush of toned-down silver enamel.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Gary

Nice work on the helmet , works well and it's explained good how you did the effect , going to look even better when on the actual head

Thanks for the updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
  15. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Superb painting, I like the flesh work and the work on the helmet, 1st class.
  16. Gooner Mike Active Member

Great work very well done
  17. marco14 PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium
    But what colors do you use for the lips please,they are looking smooth and very natural,
    mine are always to dark and stil haven't found it
    Mario
    Blind Pew and Gary Edmundson like this.
  18. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada

You ask a very good question, Mario. Not an easy answer. When I paint the lips on a bust, I typically use the face colour with a touch of burnt red and blue. Since I use Vallejo acrylics for this, my base colour would be Beige Red 70.804 with shadows in 70.343 (Flesh Shadows). My red is Cavalry Brown 70.982, and blue is 70.930. I also used Medium Flesh Tone 70.860 for this figure. To be honest, in my palette I had an approximate flesh mix so to paint the lips on this figure I added a touch of red and blue...maybe a hint of black and painted on a very dilute mix onto the lips...adding off-white to the mix to lighten it as I went. Since it dries quickly, I kept adding over top until happy. Also I touch up the colour a day or so later when I'm reviewing the paintwork. I'm still not finished his lips, but maybe your message tells me I'm close ;)
  19. marco14 PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium

hahaha yes,my question say a lot :) I got all the colors you say,but blue ??? I gonna try this and see what happens
    The face is always but always a thing I still don't know how to do it,I do something and then I get a result that is fine for me,
    but got new colors now and I see what the result is going to be, I think also that im absolute not sure to use a different color for the face,afraid I think it's going to be messed up ?

All the faces I see here are so beautiful accept mine LOL ,but as long we enjoy it is it good

Mario
  20. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    Thanks Terry - and I have an update for you on the chin-strap business. Turns out it doesn't fit at all. Not sure what I figured before when I trimmed it up, but it's too short. What convinced me was the guide book I was following by Mr Black Publications "The Great War in Scale Theme Collection Vol. 4" has this bust featured, and the modeller that did this bust had to lengthen the kit part with what looks like a length of wire.

I removed the center section of the strap and added a larger length (2-3mm) of lead sheet. This way it'll bend around his chin nicely. So just a heads-up for you when you get to that step. The photo shows the repair, and the piece I chopped out.

[IMG]
    aknific, marco14, Nap and 2 others like this.