1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique German SS officer tanker.

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by master, Feb 24, 2012.

1. master Well-Known Member

Ukraine
    Hi all. I started a new bust of a scale of 1 \ 9. Officer of the regiment Leibstandarte Waffen SS. To be continued.

Attached Files:

gothicgeek and gordy like this.
  2. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superbly executed, but surely there are more than enough Nazis available?

Mike
  3. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great so far.

Mike,
    It's up to the modelers who like to build WW2 German subject
    to decide whether of not they have enough of them.
  4. master Well-Known Member

Ukraine
    Good design uniforms, lots of small details, the popular period of history - that attracts sculptors. I love the Great War, but it is less commercial demand.
  5. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nicely done expressive face that should paint up well.
  6. master Well-Known Member

Ukraine
    This is the story. Waffen SS divisions it is the elite of Germany's war machine. They showed courage in battle. Do not confuse them with the Sonderkommandos. By analogy with modern is the seals or special forces.
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Wormhoudt massacre.:(
    Carl.
  8. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    However the sculptors choice of subject is ultimately theirs.

If Igor wants to sculpt axis subjects and yes, even SS, then that's fine.

Commission him to do something else and you get a say in the matter...
    gordy and crf like this.
  9. master Well-Known Member

Ukraine
    Look at the number of awards for soldiers. This is mainly a reward for bravery. The enemy must be respected. Following your comments do not need war movies - they also have the Waffen SS.
  10. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Igor
    You sculpt what you want to. You are doing a great job.
    You do not need to explain your choice of subject here.

Mike,
    this "why SS" topic has been discussed here to death.
    Members here are now getting sick and tired of it.
    If you feel so strongly about it, start your own tread instead of
    hijacking a sculpting thread.... please.
    gordy likes this.
  11. Panzer Active Member

United-States
    Igor
    I agree with Mr. T; sculpt what you want! if Mike doesn't like what you sculpt that's his problem!!
    I personally have always found WWII German uniforms to be some of the most interesting and colorful.
    Keep up the good work.
    Chris Mrosko
  12. master Well-Known Member

Ukraine
    Ss uniforms designed by Hugo Boss:)
  13. master Well-Known Member

Ukraine
    A small addition. A set of awards, as in the photo. End of tomorrow.

Attached Files:

14. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Coming along nicely Igor, I never have a problem with more german figures (y)

Stu
  15. master Well-Known Member

Ukraine
    We - the citizens of the Soviet Union, more than anyone else suffered from the Nazis. But that is history.
    housecarl likes this.
  16. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    I think there's a great barrier between depiction and performance. To quote Pasolini, real fascism is hidden in the dictature of nowadays consuming society. It's all around us. Depicting the ss soldier in a human way acknowledges merely their duality and the main goal is accuracy in making those beautiful uniforms splendidly sculpted. Withouth hailing any fascistic thoughts.
    I loved Ralph Fiennes in his Goeth role and I believe Spielberg deliberately chose this sex-appealed actor to keep us ongoing thinking about the why.
    I'm not saying Fascism is sexy but I have to admit, for some reason the German uniforms are very hot :)
    The real sculptor is focussed on how to provide the Y-strap this time, and which one? Which jacket and the amount of wrinkles, Wicking, Leibstandarte or anything else that could make a difference in a pictorial and historical way.

note that sculptors are aware of the multi-interpretable meaning of 'historical'

ow, forgot Igor, I like your sculpt!

René
  17. Knikki Member

United-Kingdom
    Really nice looking piece there Igor.
  18. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That is sooooo wrong !!
  19. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    i can only laugh about the FUZZ with that SS thing.
    the Waffen SS was the first EUROPEAN Army itself.so if overhysteric english moralics see an problem in it.....then its not an alone GERMAN.then its an EUROPEAN. even an very small contingent of englishmen was enlisted in the SS....till today an very unnerving thing for the island.....
    you ask WHY?
    simply because nearly all european countries had contingents of soldiers fighting in the waffen ss.
    bid drafting and recruting was from scandinavia-estonia alssace the balcans ect ect ect.nearly all VOLKSDEUTSCHE served automatic in waffen ss.
    so its in reality the case that while may volunteered many where simpy drafted to it.
    so not any soldier which di wear this tunic was an NAZI OVERWARRIOR
    its like its always else.search for the bastards in their ranks you will find them,search for the normal ones in the ranks you will find those as well.

the figure is shaping up nicely.......the photo shows Joachim Peiper so i would not recreate this decorations on an tank commander.
    the Nahkampfspange was issued to Infantry units.Peiper does wear it because he was commander of the infantry Panzergrenadier units detached to LAH.an classic tank commander would not normaly wear this.even because of transtitions from other units can be possible....but not practical.
    then i think the german cross in gold sits very high on the chest.to high.
    but its an rough sketch and thing might be still starightened out.
    maybe i would like to have an tank commander without knights cross.its awarded very eagerly in modellers armys to figures.
    and by the way
    i have no need of pics of an concentrationcamp.
    but i can only give the advice
    IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF THE UNIT DETACHMENTS OF THE WAFFEN SS GIVE NO SILLY OVERMORALIC COMMENTS ON AN FORUM.more if its about an figure only.
    this is not politicaly arena-this is only hobby......
    as always read some books and educate before you give lessions to others-and MORALICS are no substitude for HISTORIC CORRECT DATA..
    an front line fighting waffen ss unit had nothing to do with the guarding units of such camps.....
    the waffen SS was established in 1942.
    the ALLGEMEINE SS in 1924
    and the armed branch of this which fought 1940 in france was called SS-VT SS VERFÜGUNGSTRUPPE-simply because the waffen SS did not exist at this date at all.
    so its always hard with people to discuss matters which can not divide beetween an SS Police detachment for partisan fight or an Totenkopfwachverband für Lager which would be translated SS DEATHHEADS UNIT WATCH GUARD.
    cheers to england
    its the old word
    some mothers do ave them...........
  20. master Well-Known Member

Ukraine
    finish

Attached Files: