1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique German Sniper, Andrea 90mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Mar 30, 2014.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Here are the first pics of my latest project, Andrea's 90mm German Sniper.

Virtually all the versions I've seen of this figure show it wearing the white reversible smock and using the kit supplied base. It always bothered me that the figure was shooting through a window frame, something a sniper is trained not to do. So I've decided to take the road less travelled.......

My version depicts the figure in a late Autumn setting in 1944 wearing the German Oakleaf B (Autumn) pattern reversible smock and surrounded by fallen leaves and bare branches of saplings and trees.

The Oakleaf B pattern is pretty hard to replicate, which is one of the reasons I've only now posted the first pics. I've had several false starts and a few mistakes along the way. This version is the best so far, but it still requires a lot of work. The hands and rifle are just base coated at this stage.

Apologies too for the lack of clarity on the picture. I'm still fiddling around with my new camera and these pics aren't the best.

This is the first WW2 German figure I've done in many years and the only one in my Grey Army. I bought it to have a go at the Oakleaf pattern camo, and it is proving to be every bit as challenging as I thought it would be. DSCN0200.JPG DSCN0201.JPG DSCN0204.JPG archive_g_uni_ss_parka_main.jpg
  2. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    nice work, like the detail on the face, looking forward to see him on his base.

zane
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Good idea to do something different Tony. I understand you'll also ditch the urban base?
    Looking forward to your further progress and good luck with that difficult camo pattern.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  4. swralph A Fixture

The camo is looking really good.Definately a hard one to pull off(y)
  5. swralph A Fixture

Just posted the above and noticed "Definitely a hard one to pull off":ROFLMAO:
    faust18 likes this.
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony,always difficult to paint german camouflage really well,however you have made a very good start,the camo pattern looks spot on mate,looking forward to seeing how you progress with this one (y)

Brian
  7. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Here he goes again!!!!!! Pushing the limits. Only kidding. Very nice start and hope to see it in the flesh soon
    Ben
  8. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Nice work! Keep up!

Regards
    Pedro
  9. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    ss_sniper_b.jpg Hello Tony, Looks like a nice start to your sniper piece. Are you still considering using the chicken wire net on the helmet??? Another option could be burlap strips, or cover for the helmet. Burlap strips would also look good covering the sight, and barrel of the rifle, just a suggestion. hetzenauer2_1.jpg tumblr_mmuheqEH3E1sqeufwo1_500.jpg I have the old 1/35th Warriors sniper set, that was taken from the excellent art print by Max Crace above, which I was fortunate to have purchased many years ago. Best of luck with the painting of the Oak Leave pattern, and your display of this piece Tony. Regards, SG:)(y)(y)
  10. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Very nice work. A tip for the belt. Black belts were prohibited for the german snipers in WWII. Could be a nice touch too change the color in this stage.
    Good luck with the rest of your sniper, greetings John.
  11. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Hi Tony, like the look of this(y) The cammo is great and it will be good to see this figure in another setting. My build stalled in 2011, should really dust it off and get started on it some time:unsure: Looking forward to your next update.

Barrie.
  12. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    great idea,cant wait to see the end result, its good to break away from the herd. and your right,no sniper would put his rifle through the window/badger
  13. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Nice work so far Bro.....
    It is nice to see a different paint scheme , It goes to show you don't have to replicate the boxart just think outside the square alittle,..............
    Look forward to seeing him in the flesh
    Cheers
    Chris W
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Zane, thanks for your comments bro.(y)

Hi Adrian, thanks again mate. Yes, I'm ditching the urban base and going for an autumn forest setting.;)

Hi Swralph, I'll side step the pulling off reference and simply thank you for your comment. :whistle:

Hi Brian, thanks mate. It's a very difficult pattern to get right but I'm enjoying the challenge. I spent a bit of time on it last night and have attached the latest pics to show you my progress.:D

Hi Ben, yes pushing the limits of my limited talents mate. The one thing I'm sure of is that I wont improve unless I continually challenge myself and this one is definitely a challenge. I'm looking forward to showing you this one when we catch up next month.:):)

Hi Pedro, thanks mate, I will.(y)

Hi SG, thanks for the pics and the suggestions.:notworthy: Yes, chicken wire on the helmet is the plan still. I have some gauze netting which should do the job nicely.;)

Hi John, thanks for the tip about the snipers belt.(y)(y) If not black, can you advise what colour their belts were?

Hi Barrie, thanks mate. Perhaps its time to blow the dust off him and crack on mate.:eek: I appreciate your comments.

Hi Badger, thanks for your comments. I'm trying to do something a little bit different every time I start a new figure and this one had long caught my eye. Firstly because I wondered why everyone painted it in the white winter uniform (its is a reversible smock after all) and secondly why everyone was happy to have a sniper sticking his rifle barrel through a window frame. I wondered why no one had done it before, and then I realised that was my chance to do something different.:cool:

G'day Chris, mate, you know better than most that the box art is simply a guideline and something to be quickly forgotten in pursuit of a unique look. Your latest Frenchy is a great example of that. Thinking outside the box is what makes this hobby so interesting. Hope to catch up soon bro.:D

Sorry these pics are so dark. I've been fiddling with the brightness and contrast settings :facepalm:
    DSCN0204.JPG DSCN0208.JPG DSCN0213.JPG

Attached Files:

15. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    5.jpg Hello Tony, One other way you can make the helmet netting, is with veil material. It comes in many sizes and colors, and is found at most fabric, and material shops. Very inexpensive, and very realistic. Regards, SG(y)
    faust18 likes this.
  16. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Tony, he's coming along nicely mate. I've only ever seen this guy painted in winter get-up, so I like that you're going a different route.

I actually have a figure in the GA where I'll need to tackle this camouflage pattern too, so I'll be watching with real interest. It looks pretty tough to paint!

Hopefully see him when we catch up at Ben's.
    Cheers
  17. Mark S Guest

Looking great Tony, camos brilliant, I'm very interested to see the groundwork you use to set this piece in.
  18. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Hi Tony, its not a must, i am sure some snipers had black belts but it would be a nice detail. If you want to adjust make it leather brown.
    The drinking can was partial wrapped with a sort of cloth, mostly greenish of fleshcolor. I see your first layer is brown wich leaves the impression of leather or wood.

greetings John.
  19. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking great Tony.(y)
  20. Agesilaus Active Member

France
    Very nice, great work on the camo...