1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

German Pilot in the service of the Ottoman Turks

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Randy Myers, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Randy Myers Member

United-States
    This is my latest scratch build. He's a German Pilot in the Turkish service, WWI. The head and torso were done in sculpy, then cast in resin, and the uniform, hat (kalpack), and hand were made with Magic Sculp. Various details were done in Knead-a-tite putty and sheet styrene. It's painted in Humbrol enamels, with the flesh tones in artist oils. All comments and critisism welcome. I may not make major changes to this guy, but I'll apply any advice to the next project.

Attached Files:

2. Randy Myers Member

United-States
    ...another view...

Attached Files:

3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hello Randy, fabulous work, I like it a lot and welcome to the Planet. ;)

Cheers

Roc :)
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Randy, That is just great. I love the work you've done on the insignia and the fur effects on the kalpack. The face is really good and has that "look". This may sound strange to some but the ears are also very well done. The cigarette is a classly little touch that gives this guy some attitude. I can't wait to see your next piece. What will it be?~Gary
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Randy............both sculpting and painting
  6. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Randy, I really like the haughty look and the way you did the short hair in back. How did you do that? The forearm seems thin to me, but it could be the angle. The emblem on the hat is well done. Kneadatite?
  7. rdclaeps New Member

Great work Randy, I really like this one.
  8. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    From another San Diegan, great job, unique subject. Maybe I'll see you at the end of the month at Herr Pete's ?? matt
  9. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Can't wait to see this one in person!
  10. Pete_H New Member

Looks really good, Randy! I particularly like the egotistic look on the guy's face.

So, what's next on the workbench?
  11. y_wong New Member

Dear Randy,

A very well sculpted and painted bust.

regards :)
  12. Manfred Active Member

A very good sculpt ! (y)

Maybe the sleeve from elbow to cuff could use slightly more volume but that is hard to say from a pic alone.

You transport an attitude with this bust, something not each bust posesses.
  13. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Excellent work, Randy. A very interesting choice and so much character!
  14. Randy Myers Member

United-States
    Thanks everyone!

Gary; I apprecaite the praise for the ears, they're tough to get right! I've only recently been happy with how mine turn out. Next on the bench is a 75mm trooper from the Guards Camel Regiment-Gordon Relief Expedition (no camel though). Next bust will be an officer of the same subject, with famous celebrity face. :)

John; The short hair was made from a very thin layer of Magic Sculp, textured by repetedly poking it with toothbrush bristles. I made the crescent and star of the emblem in Knead-a-tite separately on a glass plate, then made and impression of the emblem in the soft putty of the hat and placed them. After the hat was cured, I put a little putty in the recess of the wings, and shaped it with a needle.

Manfred; I'll have another look at the sleeve, but the tunic (bluse) in the photo I worked from seemed to fit fairly tight. I've started using faces from life to give my busts more character, and a friend suggested I model this fellow after the German actor Anton Diffring.

Matt; I'll see you at Pete's if God's willing and the creek don't rise. (all you Californians know what I mean)
  15. bosko b Member

Hi Randy,

excellent work, great subject.

I am looking forward to seeing your next project (although I must say it would be interesting to see a camel sculpt too :) )
  16. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Randy,

Really nice bust. I like the face and the colors of the tunic, nice work.

Joe
  17. Randy Myers Member

United-States
    Thanks Joe, and Bosko (?). :)
  18. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Randy, very nice and great subject. Now you and Claeps have something in common.
  19. Manfred Active Member

Randy, you are correct !

Looked up some photos and what I had in mind was the poor footsloggers wide Feldbluse sleeves, not the tailored ones of the officer gentlemen ;)

Your idea about using an actual face is good.
  20. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Great stuff man. Alot of character which is key. Cool subject too.