1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

German Officer in Dress Mess

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

Here is another one that I have found. It is a 120 from Warriors. I really enjoyed this kit. I do not normally do the large scale and this period but I did have fun with this one.

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    I fogot to say he was painted in acrylics except for the flesh wich were in oils.

Attached Files:

3. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    :)

Attached Files:

4. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    I think that I have seen your version earlier but I really like the black highlights.

Also, great job on the blonde hair... nice touch and detail on the eyebrows, too! :)

Keith
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fabulous work Joe...........absolutely beautiful
  6. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Joe , I love it. I like it very much especially the blonde hair. Great black also

Stephen Mallia
  7. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Wow Joe,

this figure is just perfect! I think it is muc harder to do a figure in parade dress then in camaign dress. Everything needs to be clean and smooth.
    Excellent.

Greetz,

Gino
  8. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words. I was a bit nervous doing this one and Gino I think you are right. I had to make sure all of it was clean and could not add any thing to hide some of my mistakes. To make matters worse, I had painted this one and then was told the braid/piping was wrong! :eek: I had painted it white and then had to go back and paint it silver. Here a re a few better pictures but with the wrong piping color. ;)

Joe

Attached Files:

9. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    one more

Attached Files:

10. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hey Joe that's an outstanding job my friend. At once i thought it was not a figure but a picture from the internet or something. Great skin tones (i'm a flesh fan so i will ask once again) what mix do you use for your flesh tones?
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hey Joe,

Thats amazing, beautifull. There is nothing else to say then echo the positive comments from the other guys.
    Can you share with us the beautifull painting off the black and his highlights. I love it, and i wanted to know how.

Looking forward.

Marc
  12. Lepman New Member

Just outstanding Joe. Your rendition of the black is amazing.

Ken Neil
  13. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    My Good Buddy :)

I've already praised you on this one some while ago, but here goes OUTSTANDING JOB!!!

I've been planning to buy this figure, since I saw your rendition............it's kind of a commissioned job ( already 3 years now ) for an inspector, who's an SS fanatic, and he "commissioned" me to paint him Andrea's trio of the marching (same face) leibstandard SS troopers, but which I'm finding a bit too childish!! So, I think I'll just buy this dude and paint it for him ( free, so maybe if he catches me slacking on the job, I won't get nicked :lol: ) and leave the a/m Andrea kit for his kid to start on!!

Take Care my Good Friend ;)

Ray.
  14. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Joe, I LOVE that - you've done a very convincing painting job, especially the blonde colour of the hair is good, and there's much "character" (a bit of an "attitude") in the face that came out well with your painting.(y)

Thanks for sharing,

Johan
  15. Pete_H New Member

Joe,
    Wonderful job, amigo! The SS ring is a very nice touch. Was this an add-on or did it come cast on the kit? Also, I'm curious as to your approach for painting blonde hair - definitely looks the part ;)
  16. steib508 New Member

Hi Joe,

I am a newbie to PF and I have been following the topics for awhile now. Anyway I have to tell you like everyone else you have done a great job!!!! I really like the black rendition.

I have been away from the painting for awhile and I have finally picked up brush and paint.

Joe, what an inspiration!!!!! Thanks!

Don Wardlaw
  17. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Joe, my friend, extreemly well done, you did a fantastic job as usual.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Roc. :)
  18. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    EXCELLENT!!!! (y) (y)
  19. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you all for the very kind comments. I really appreciate them. I will post the mixture that I use for the flesh below but just a few other things first. :)

The blonde hair was done using English uniform + dark sand. Highlights adding more sand and then some off-white to the mix. The shadows are more English uniform and some burnt umber. These are all Vallejo colors.

The black is a mixture of German Grey and flat black. I kept it more on the very dark grey and then highlighted more with the German Grey and shadows pure black. The lapels were a mixture of purple and black and the highlights had a touch of Silver-gray. I wanted them to have a different look to them.

Pete,

The ring was there already, sorry I could not take credit for that one. :lol:

Don,

It is so nice to have you here and I hope to see more of your work and yourself!

Ray,

Thanks and I would love to see what you do with this one! I can bet that I would hide my pictures and drool all over yours! :)

Xenofon,

Here is the mixture that I use on all my flesh. I hope it helps and if you can't understand just let me know and I will try to do a better job of explaining.

My base is Mars Brown + Lemon Yellow + white + Naples Yellow Red Extra (Rembrandt) (you can use a flesh color if you don't have this one) + a dab of Cadmium Red

Highlight - Naples Yellow (Rembrandt) + white
    extra highlights keeping adding white until the highest are just pure white

Shadows - Mars Brown for Mediums

Burnt Umber + Venetian Red (make a brownish purple) for deep shadows

Burnt Umber for deeper

Purple Madder for the deepest shadow

above the eyes Mars Violet

All the colors are from W/N unless stated. My base coat is acrylic Liquidtex Deep Portrait Pink. I then cook it in the crock pot until it is dry. One last thing that I do and it is the truth, is that I only paint the face in 30 minutes. I do this not to rush but I am the Worlds Worse for over doing it! I find that by putting a timer on myself I do not have the time to keep tinkering with the flesh and this has, I hope, helped me to paint a little better.

Joe
  20. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    You have done a beautiful job. I have always wanted to do this figure, and so I have added you color mixtures to my notes for future reference.