1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

German gunner, 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Iguazzu, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Iguazzu A Fixture

Spain
    Hi mates!

I'm sharing in my Facebook account some WIP pictures of my last commission work. But.... as I know that most of you don't use it FB.... I'm going to share it here.

Feel free to ask and have in mind that is a WIP:

2014-07-24 20.13.42.jpg 2014-07-24 20.13.50.jpg 2014-07-24 20.14.04.jpg 2014-07-24 20.14.49.jpg 2014-07-27 18.32.50.jpg 2014-07-27 18.33.04.jpg 2014-07-27 18.33.28.jpg 2014-07-27 18.33.37.jpg
  2. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Nice work mate. I have a couple of Jeff's figures tucked away. Ive been trying to get better at painting before I tackle them. Also have been after a good look at how others paint large scale german uniforms. Love it so far. Please keep the pics comming.
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Excellent work on the uniform so far.

I have the same figure in progress and like it very much, it's very dynamic.

One comment: the triangular section below the neck and within the uniform collar should be painted as skin as well. I had been wondering what to do with it and sent an email to the sculptor to check.

@Chris: don't fall into the trap of not painting your nicest figures until you are better at painting. Your painting will improve a lot faster if you paint well-sculpted figures. And you'll enjoy painting more, which also helps. What's the worst that can happen? You can always strip the paint down again.

Cheers
    Adrian
    Chris Mortimer and Mark Dollery like this.
  4. swralph A Fixture

Coming along very well,like the helmet.
  5. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    @Chris: don't fall into the trap of not painting your nicest figures until you are better at painting. Your painting will improve a lot faster if you paint well-sculpted figures. And you'll enjoy painting more, which also helps. What's the worst that can happen? You can always strip the paint down again.

Thanks Adrian. Good advice. Im nearly finished my current project, so when I get that cleared off the bench I will have a good look at the stash and summon some courage
  6. Iguazzu A Fixture

Spain
    Thanks mates!

If you're interested, here is the color chart

Base: VMC Fildgrey + Burnt Umber JoSonja's

Lights: add to the base Yellow Oxide, Skin tone base and Warm White (all from JS)

Shadows: add VMC Flat Earth, JS Burnt Umber & Flat Black (from Scale 75)

Medium Tones: with Ardennes Green from Scale 75 + Burnt Umber
  7. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I like what you are doing with this one, very dark tones. I have noticed a few people are doing figures this way now, using a lot of black and washed out colours to get that look you see in the movies such as Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan. Cant wait till your next update
    Ben
  8. Gary P J Doyle New Member

Sweeeet work there Alex my man ..
  9. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    nice job what was your technique and colours used on the helmet?
  10. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice. I second the previous post: what technique did you use to get texture on the helmet?
  11. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    The shoulder boards are odd...Nice to see what you done with him so far.

Cheers,
    Pedro.
  12. Iguazzu A Fixture

Spain
    Thanks for looking and comment mates!

The helmet work was really easy. Just need a good color base an a little bit of sponge (from a blister or a miniature box) and stamp the paint with the sponge over the helmet using diferent colors.

Here you've more steps. The color base of the pants and almost finished

2014-07-28 13.15.13.jpg

2014-07-28 15.13.50.jpg

2014-07-28 15.14.06.jpg
    Rompy likes this.
  13. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Real inspiring work mate. Keep it up,thanks for the advice and colour call outs
  14. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great work,I love the lights and shades of the field grey jacket,brilliant work
  15. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Excellent brushwork. Thanks for sharing your WIP, Alex!
  16. Iguazzu A Fixture

Spain
  17. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    lovely work!!!
  18. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looking good, nice weathering effects on the equipment